Boring bicycle thread

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Today I answered the question literally nobody is asking, "can you transport a cut-in-two railway sleeper by bicycle?"

The answer is yes, you can. But don't, because 26 miles across lots of hills pulling 80lb of wood and trailer behind you is not easy. Especially when a lot of the weight is quite high - going over potholes and around corners was very, very interesting. In a "shit shit shit don't tip over" kind of way.

And I know the trailer tyre is punctured, I fixed that.

PXL_20210323_161110784.jpg

I normally use this trailer for shopping, on a 70-year-old Sunbeam I recently restored. I get strange looks with it, but who cares, it now costs me fuck all to go to the supermarket. And ain't nobody nicking a bike that's heavier than solid lead.

PXL_20201112_175320771.NIGHT.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Today I answered the question literally nobody is asking, "can you transport a cut-in-two railway sleeper by bicycle?"

The answer is yes, you can. But don't, because 26 miles across lots of hills pulling 80lb of wood and trailer behind you is not easy. Especially when a lot of the weight is quite high - going over potholes and around corners was very, very interesting. In a "shit shit shit don't tip over" kind of way.

View attachment 43997

I normally use this trailer for shopping, on a 70-year-old Sunbeam I recently restored. I get strange looks with it, but who cares, it now costs me fuck all to go to the supermarket. And ain't nobody nicking a bike that's heavier than solid lead.

View attachment 43998

Ah, the answer to the age old question; "why do you own a car?"

Embattle

FH is my second home

View attachment 43997

View attachment 43998

Indeed but your old lady cart with the railway sleeper has blocked your rear light, plus if you crash you'll have the worlds largest splitter inserted in a nasty place :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ah, the answer to the age old question; "why do you own a car?"
Yes on the railway sleepers but for the shopping - I live 15 mins away from the coop by car and a 45 minute round trip from the nearest shop on bike / hour and fifteen walking.

Unless I'm doing a mahoosive shop I chooss bike or walk - it's just so much more pleasant and gives a bit of headspace.

But then, it's through a forest. So great anyway. It was 50/50 in nottingham...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yes on the railway sleepers but for the shopping - I live 15 mins away from the coop by car and a 45 minute round trip from the nearest shop on bike / hour and fifteen walking.

Unless I'm doing a mahoosive shop I chooss bike or walk - it's just so much more pleasant and gives a bit of headspace.

But then, it's through a forest. So great anyway. It was 50/50 in nottingham...

I always walk to the supermarket (riding is more awkward just because of locking the bike up) and we get the big shop delivered. But no way in hell would I carry a lump of iron by bike. Frankly I'm amazed the shopping trolley didn't just unstitch itself into its component parts.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I always walk to the supermarket (riding is more awkward just because of locking the bike up) and we get the big shop delivered. But no way in hell would I carry a lump of iron by bike. Frankly I'm amazed the shopping trolley didn't just unstitch itself into its component parts.
Its wood not iron.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Fireplace surround. They're dried, but I'll let them dry further for a few weeks before building it and then learning how to use a router.

The trailer is a cycle trailer (Burley Travoy) and designed for it. I've used it to cart all kinds of crap around, including sheets of plasterboard.

I need another sleeper but I'm driving to get that :) The climb out of the woodyard to the top of the hill nearby was absolutely brutal.

It's great because I lock the bike up, unhitch the trailer and just walk around the supermarket with it, using it as a trolley. I get some odd looks but I don't have to mess around with parking up, bags, shopping trolleys, bags, unloading, etc. Just get home, bring it in the house, and put the stuff away :) I love it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Be careful they don't split if you are bringing them inside. It can be a real problem as the moisture level drops.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sorry, I say 'be careful' but there is very little you can do about it :) Oak will split as it dries, especially if it hasn't been seasoned properly, it needs a couple of years. Most stuff (B&Q et al.) is just kiln dried rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom