Bored of Win 98 SE

W

Will

I'm really bored of my current OS - what should I get instead?
I'll need to be able to play games, and a bit of mp3 ripping, but no real demands otherwise.
State your arguments, and pros/cons, of the OS of your choice.

T

Testin da Cable

Linux :)

pros: it's all good :)
cons: steep learning curve for some peeps

E

Embattle

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
Linux :)

Hmm never would of guessed...don't bother its not worth the hassle and the lack of games or not being able to use your current software.

W2K Pro - Stable and fast.

W

Will

Yeah, I NEED to play games.

I heard 2k was bad for drivers - is this true?

E

Embattle

It was but the drivers are now a lot better and in any opengl game W2K is normally faster than Win9x platforms.

W

Will

Excellent - I've got a Radeon gfx card, so I like my OpenGL games.
Unless someone comes up with a good reason not to, I think Win2k is sold.
Had a thought - what about XP? Any good?

E

Embattle

Well I've used RC1 and its very nice looking but needs a lot of work and since a number of things are going to change I'll wait for a review once it comes out later this year.

B

bids

Win2k - good if you've got a Radeon - stable, good driver support, insecure a f*ck

Linux - As per TDC - rock solid, not good for hardware drivers, need to know what you're doing.

XP - Win2k with a makover and a few new utils (Firewall, QoS scheduler, etc). - wait for service pack.

MHO :)

W

Will

OK - does anyone have a cheap, yet legit source for Win2k?
My cheapest is £124.55 Inc VAT. (OEM version)

E

Embattle

Full version is normally £250 so that doesn't seem bad at all.

W

Will

That similar to what dabs is offering - why is that version (overclockers.co.uk) is cheaper? Any ideas?

E

Embattle

OEM versions are normally cheaper since they come with no boxing, extras etc but tbh it still wouldn't be that cheap. Send an email and ask if its the upgrade version.

O

old.8_Ball

Im on XP Pro RC2 at the mo.......stable as fuck, quicker to boot, quicker to shutdown and some nice features to reverse the OS back to 95/98/ME/2000/NT if a game don't work

Only had one game not work properly from the off...Quake 2 wouldnt play in opengl or higher than 640*480 .so just went to compatability mode, ticked which os it previously work on, the colours,screen res and of it went...worked first time.

You can get a 180 day trial version for £9.99 from the MSN site. Fair enough it expires in 6 months but for a tenner you can't argue and it saves you commiting over £200 for W2K.

http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/winxp/

E

Embattle

Didn't like RC1 of it and tbh not much has changed between RC's.

O

old.8_Ball

Im on XP Pro RC2 at the mo.......stable as fuck, quicker to boot, quicker to shutdown and some nice features to reverse the OS back to 95/98/ME/2000/NT if a game don't work

Only had one game not work properly from the off...Quake 2 wouldnt play in opengl or higher than 640*480 .so just went to compatability mode, ticked which os it previously work on, the colours,screen res and of it went...worked first time.

You can get a 180 day trial version for £9.99 from the MSN site. Fair enough it expires in 6 months but for a tenner you can't argue and it saves you commiting over £200 for W2K.

http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/winxp/

O

old.8_Ball

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by +SA+SerialKilla
pointless post 8ball
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pointless in that i pointed out some things itchy was enquiring about.

He asked for pro's and cons for OS's that would work with games/MP3's.

Win2k does have driver issues with games...XP is built on Win2k but as I pointed out the compatability mode is a godsend.

As he was about to fork out full price for Win2k, I thought he might appreciate knowing he could get the RC2 version of the latest OS for a tenner...the con being it expires in 180 days.

Still 6 months to decide for himself if it's worth it rather than read reviews upon its release that may well contradict each other.

Think it should really be up to itchy to decide if it was pointless or not.

W

Will

Sorry all, but you dug up an old post now - I've gone back to the ways of 98 SE after a disaster with my Win2K install... Got it running stable somehow!:D
Though that could have more to do with giving my graphics card some 'breathing' room in the box.;)
edit - see this thread for details of the mess.

O

old.8_Ball

LOL....soz

Didn't notice :)

Apologies if I seemed to be having a go....seems to be all the rage on these boards lately :)

P

Perplex

Originally posted by 8_Ball
quote:
pointless post 8ball

pointless in that i pointed out some things itchy was enquiring about.

He asked for pro's and cons for OS's that would work with games/MP3's.

Win2k does have driver issues with games...XP is built on Win2k but as I pointed out the compatability mode is a godsend.

As he was about to fork out full price for Win2k, I thought he might appreciate knowing he could get the RC2 version of the latest OS for a tenner...the con being it expires in 180 days.

Still 6 months to decide for himself if it's worth it rather than read reviews upon its release that may well contradict each other.

Think it should really be up to itchy to decide if it was pointless or not.

Errrrrr, the compatibility options are in Win2k moron. You can choose any application, and instruct it to run it in a 95, 98, 98se, NT4 sp1, NT4 sp2, NT4 sp3, NT4 sp4, etc environment

S

]SK[

Hehehe Perplex couldnt you say this without calling him a moron?

:D

S

stu

WinXP has gone gold, so if you are a l33t juarez type you can get a release copy now.

P

Perplex

Hehehe Perplex couldnt you say this without calling him a moron?

:D

Not at all my man, not at all :D he should feel the full Perp experience! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom