Books Books! :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm after suggestions, specifically for audiobooks (as that's how I consume the *vast* majority of written works - couple of hours a day three days a week on my commute, every long trip in the car at weekends and easy long summer bike rides).

I obtained on the high seas the (alleged) "top-100 sci-fi audiobooks" of all time and I've knocked them on the head. And all of Pratchett (although to be fair, I'd read most of his stuff at Uni).

Listening to James Joyce's Ulysees at the moment and have Don Quixote and Dostoyevski's The Brothers Karamazov.

I particularly like hard sci-fi rather than wishy washy fantasy.

What is an *absolute* must read / listen?

Happy to purchase through legitimate means any author who is still alive and making money off their work. Otherwise their kids can fuck off and get a job :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm after suggestions, specifically for audiobooks (as that's how I consume the *vast* majority of written works - couple of hours a day three days a week on my commute, every long trip in the car at weekends and easy long summer bike rides).

I obtained on the high seas the (alleged) "top-100 sci-fi audiobooks" of all time and I've knocked them on the head. And all of Pratchett (although to be fair, I'd read most of his stuff at Uni).

Listening to James Joyce's Ulysees at the moment and have Don Quixote and Dostoyevski's The Brothers Karamazov.

I particularly like hard sci-fi rather than wishy washy fantasy.

What is an *absolute* must read / listen?

Happy to purchase through legitimate means any author who is still alive and making money off their work. Otherwise their kids can fuck off and get a job :)

Most Alistair Reynolds (certainly his earlier stuff). Charles Stross (Accelerando is the best SF about The Singularity ever written), All Neal Stephenson.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've done some Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, right?) - quite enjoyed but didn't love it.

Revelation Space was again entertaining but felt a bit long. Not come across Charles Stross tho :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Anything by "Iain M Banks", Peter F Hamilton, Neil Gaiman, Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon series). I also like Iain Banks' books (without the "m") also but they are not sci fi.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've done some Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, right?) - quite enjoyed but didn't love it.

Revelation Space was again entertaining but felt a bit long. Not come across Charles Stross tho :)

You haven't read Cryptonomicon? Good God man, stop what you're doing and read it immediately

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Im old school.

Arthur C Clarke 2061, its good because its very grounded in its science and its a good follow up to 2010.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I obtained on the high seas the (alleged) "top-100 sci-fi audiobooks" of all time and I've knocked them on the head.

Since I don't know what's on the Top 100 list you "acquired" here's some modern stuff, most are the first book in a series.

The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu
Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie
Ninefox Gambit - Yoon Ha Lee
Blindsight - Peter Watts
Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu
Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie
Ninefox Gambit - Yoon Ha Lee
Blindsight - Peter Watts
Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi
Ta. :)

Any of those one-shotters?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anything by "Iain M Banks", Peter F Hamilton, Neil Gaiman, Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon series). I also like Iain Banks' books (without the "m") also but they are not sci fi.
Read all of Ian M Banks in book form (and listened to Player of Games recently). Was thinking Crow Road and the likes tho :)

Liked the first of the Altered Carbon ones - much better than the crappy TV series (started good, went off rails).

Can't remember the name of the mammoth Peter F Hamilton one I listened to. Ah yeah, the reality disfunction. I didn't rush out to grab the others. How many in the series? (And are they all as long?) - I tend to be annoyed by anything involving telepathy.

Zarjazz

Ta. :)

Any of those one-shotters?

Only Blindsight though the rest are pretty much self contained and reading the following books isn't required with the exception of The Three-Body Problem. If you don't read the rest of that trilogy you are missing out on the hardest of hard-sci-fi.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Read all of Ian M Banks in book form (and listened to Player of Games recently). Was thinking Crow Road and the likes tho :)

Liked the first of the Altered Carbon ones - much better than the crappy TV series (started good, went off rails).

Can't remember the name of the mammoth Peter F Hamilton one I listened to. Ah yeah, the reality disfunction. I didn't rush out to grab the others. How many in the series? (And are they all as long?) - I tend to be annoyed by anything involving telepathy.

He has about 18 books. The one you read was part of the Night's dawn trilogy and yes they are all that long.
There is also the Void Trilogy (also long books). He has other series apart from those.

Zarjazz

Children of Time from that list I'd recommend. Has no sequels etc.

Not true, a sequel comes out in May. Definitely one I can recommend without hesitation but I can't guarantee he'll like the rest though :) Some of them are a bit like Marmite - love or hate.

Last edited:

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I listened to White Fang, by Jack London a while ago. It was entertaining. Started listening to Dantes inferno, it was interesting, hard to keep up with and sadly not the whole series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom