Books

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
I never been the big reader, but you have to start somewhere :).
Thought about reading some Sci-Fi, as that always interested me, so I wanna hear you sugestions. Hopefully i can find it in a Danish copy as reading english books takes fuckloads of time when it aint your first language.

Ofcourse your welcome to recommend other books, anything you like, and say abit about why it was so good :)

All I read so far was stuff like Harry potter and LOTR when I was younger, since then it has been way to few books :/

Waz

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Terry Pratchett is one I always recommend
fantasy but comic as well
He's recently been diagnosed with alzheimers so im not sure how much longer he's going to be writing books. But thats all I read really, and have done for 10 years or so.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Terry Pratchett is one I always recommend
fantasy but comic as well
He's recently been diagnosed with alzheimers so im not sure how much longer he's going to be writing books. But thats all I read really, and have done for 10 years or so.

Who taught the monkey how to read.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Laddey, you shouldn't be commenting on a books thread. You've never read a book in your life ! Apart from the prison manual on safe sex...:)

And Terry Pratchet is about as funny as waking up and finding a bunch of woodpeckers hammering away on your John Thomas

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
It's not sci-fi. But Pratchett is genius. As for finding the books in danish. Very few Pratchett books available in danish at my local library. However, i suggest reading them in their original language, by far the best experience.

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R Martin
The Old Kingdom series (Abhorsen Trilogy) by Garth Nix
Hawk of May series by Gillian Bradshaw
The Dragonlance series - Margeret Weis and Tracy Hickman
The Deathgate Cycle seies - Margeret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I actually also like books aimed at maybe a slightly younger audience.
The, Artemis Fowl series is good.

Since you are danish, here is a few danish pearls you might have missed;

Benny og Brian books by Dennis Jürgensen (i know how it sounds, but they are just all out funny :p) infact anything by him basicly.
Alex på eventyr series by Knud Holten (again, i know how it sounds, but they are very good.)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Peter F Hamilton is your man if you want Sci-Fi

how can you recommend the Dragonlance books as sci-fi?!?!?!?!

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Agree completely with Shagrat

Others to try

Alistair Reynolds - good hard Sci fi
Richard Morgan - Excellent work with just a little sarcasm, makes his characters really jump out of the pages

Faelinor

Fledgling Freddie
Alright mate!!
I'd strongly reccomend David Gemmel, if you havent read any of his stuff before. It's heroic fantasy, and bloody brilliant imo. Think lots of people who are into daoc and such like will really enjoy reading him.

some books to read by the gemmelmeister!!! :::

Waylander 1, 2 and 3 (different books)
Legend
The first Chronicles of Druss the Legend
The Legend of Deathwalker
Troy
Shield of Thunder

and if you get hooked like i did, buy them all!!!!!

I also like Michael Moorcock, but i think it would be a bit much reading him if your first language isn't English, it can get a bit of a headfuck at points!!

hope you find something you like in there, and heed my words! xD

Helme

Resident Freddy
Hopefully i can find it in a Danish copy as reading english books takes fuckloads of time when it aint your first language.
Swedish is obviously my first language and I can guarantee you, just reading Harry Potter and LOTR again in English is an immensively better experience. A lot of the characters are lost in the translations, a lot of the deeper morals and meanings, the dialogues and so on. Most translations are just pretty damn horrible, done by people who in the first place doesn't even like the books or have any real passion for them.

Regarding other book tips, I dunno - I usually tell people to have a go at Eragon, while it's at some places comically alike LOTR it's at others pretty damn decent, and it IS entertaining - just avoid the movie, please, and if you have seen it forget it. It's probably the worst book to movie conversion ever done(this includes the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy movie from 04?).

Another book you might want to try is The Silmarillion, very long - and at times "hard" read as it's lots of history, but overall very nice stories and gives a totally new appriciation for Tolkien's world.

If you want easy to read books, check out Richard A. Knaak's Diablo & Warcraft books, it's pretty much glorified fan fiction but it's good enough to be the "official" lore behind the games. In the same vein of glorified fanfic, check out the 20 or so books of Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A Salvatore, set in Faerûn of the Forgotten Realms(D&D).

edit: I pretty much agree with every other recommendation here, just again - try get the English versions they are A LOT better, and even if it takes extra time to get through you come out with a better experience overall - and probably some increased English knowledge, for me personally it's come to the point where I find writing in English and reading in English easier than doing it in Swedish.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Isaac Asimov's books are pretty hardcore sci fi, aren't they? I've not read them myself yet, but aim to do so!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't think anyone suggested American Gods yet? Neil Gaiman if i remember correctly.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
dane you say , then your in luck ,can read some erwin neutzky wulff , some of the most interesting science fiction i ever came across , but not an easy read even in danish.

othervise kim stanley robinsons mars trilogy or bruce sterlings 90'ies stuff is quite good.

stefano benni maybe ? terra would be the one to start with from him.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
some of the star wars books are very good if your into that sort of thing

someone said it but i cant reccomend it enough and thats a song of ice and war long books but brilliant story prob one of the best books ive ever read.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I think the Ice and fire books will have been translated into every language known to man by now

Iain Banks Culture books are interesting

Or go for the classics - Jack Vance's Tales of a Dying Earth is tastic

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
I thank you for all the great suggestions. I will go shopping soon, so will see what I like and what dosnt fall in my taste :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
My sister would instantly recommend:

Twilight

I would recommend:

Night/Day/Twilight Watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom