BodyGuard's Effects on Fotm tank grps

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Qaewin said:
Paladins can also twist their heal chant but more than likely won't. Twisting is for pve and 1v1 fights and is impractical for the pally in rvr.
It's really not difficult to twist when you're in guardbot mode... any good paladin will do it. I do when I play my Paladin, and so do Paladins that I group with when playing my Mercenary.

Has a higher af by 56 (the self buff) shield chant doesn't stack with spec af buff. This is 5% per hit. 3 assisters hitting for 200 dmg each every round for 13 rounds withought one miss and the pally still won't have made up the hp diff.
Any reduction in the amount of damage you're taking makes your Clerics job easier...

There resist chants are nice 20% for the highest ones but to get them pallys would need to have 49 in chants, coupled with 50 in shield 29slash leaves them 9 parry. They would also haveto pick the right chant for each spell type..tough when each grp will have more than one.
Since you'll likely be grouped with a Cleric who has resists, it's the tri-resist buffs you're looking at. You need 44 Chants for Soul Ward (Body/Spirit/Energy), which will give your group an additional 10% resistance against Mid or Hib PBAE. Twisting this in with Endurance while taking on a PBAE box makes things a lot easier for your Clerics.

So an exceptionally well played paladin that twists all chants and picks the right resist chant each time (would recquire 4 identical qbars bar each resist) and switches bodyguard as well as an arms that doesn't, will more than offset the extra hp.
2 qbars... One for Soul Ward, and one for Elemental Ward (if you have a Friar) or Heat Resist.

And I expect Paladins will, in general, be better at switching bodyguard as they have more experience of it (from switching guard). The majority of Arms in RvR are ofensively specced, and it is the Paladins who currently fulfil the role of guardbot.

But probably not the extra parry (probably about 30 pts) extra dex (which seems to make a big diff) and the det factor.
I have frequently considered dropping my Parry spec on my Paladin, as I find it interferes with my blocking and is often more of a hinderance than help. But that's Mythics fault for having Parry resolved before Block, which is somewhat illogical in my opinion - if you're trained to fight with a sword and shield, you're trained to use the shield as your primary means of defense to keep your sword free to counter attack. Parry would be a secondary form of defense for if someone gets inside your blocking arc.

And Det isn't an issue if you set intercept on the person you're Bodyguarding! Intercept = Free Purge with no timer!! ;)
You just have to hope that the enemy know what they're doing and go for the right target... F8 /assist n00bs can really screw things up here! :rolleyes:

FH>SB but arms get IP (as do pallys but its better than nought) and if the bodyguard needs to use 2 instas ur probably in trouble anyway.
The Paladin will have FH, Purge and some MoBlock at a much lower RR than an Arms will have to be to get Det 5, Purge, IP, MoBlock, SoB... so it'll be a lot easier to find a Paladin to suit your requirements than it will be to find an Arms.

I'm obviously biased towards arms but I feel they will make better bodyguards.
One of each would be nice and probably optimal though.
Both have their pros and cons, but I feel that the Paladin brings more to the group as a whole. Don't forget that chants don't *just* improve the survivability of the Paladin, but everyone else in the group too...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
an armsman will find it easier to land a slam on an evading/parrying/blocking target - generally with arcs that'll only be a savage, zerk or BM. On anything else outside the front arc they'll both be just as likely to land it.
(Weaponskill only affects how hard you are to defend against not your chances of outright missing)

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Alithiel said:
The majority of Arms in RvR are ofensively specced, and it is the Paladins who currently fulfil the role of guardbot.

Some of us offensively specced ones are respecced guardbots (played to rr5+ until Pallys took over the role :( )...we might be rusty but I reckon we could still swing a shield if we had to :D

Alme

Fledgling Freddie
can bodyguard be switched around an infinite number of times?
Ie can a bodyguarder force the other grp to kill him first.
If this is the case i heard farek is a traded acc and uses radar so he should get banned mk :<

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
stubbe said:
scratch defensive, replace with passive. point is you won't be able to rush into box and kill stuff anymore. you'll need a bit more finesse :)

hehe we only do that against noob grps were it works :p

try it against any of the good gg's and it prolly wont work.

nol

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
I think Sorusi >> you big time but ok

PBAE is not only used as defensive weapon, you can aswell storm in and pb the hell out of your enemies after mezz (ofc co-ordinated) cause THIS will give enemy healers a tough time and you a nice opening. Watch the DH video and see offensive alb pb'ing :p

can play both, although defensive is used more often it seems.

I think Wildfire has some experience with regards to pb'ers, he does play a level 50 enchanter on excal.

poky

Fledgling Freddie
Warlord line gets a petfear pbae shout at ML3 that seems to work very well on all charmed pets.. (hopefully) that could compensate a bit for bodyguard, at least versus hibgroups.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
nol said:
I think Wildfire has some experience with regards to pb'ers, he does play a level 50 enchanter on excal.

and he does play in a pbaoe grp on alb excal

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
poky said:
Warlord line gets a petfear pbae shout at ML3 that seems to work very well on all charmed pets.. (hopefully) that could compensate a bit for bodyguard, at least versus hibgroups.

Apparently doesnt work on chanter pets though :(

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
tbh whos worried about groups like that, the best group is gonna be the....

1 Firby Druid
4 Luri Heros
3 Luri Chanters

All the luri's hide in the Firby, and the Luri Heros BG the Firby and Chanters, decent ranged damage and great pbae's, and a melee immune group, (try finding the right bodyguarding luris ammongst 6 other luris between a firbys legs :pPPP

Sigh

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
What price on a wave of armsmen respeccing to s/s now? If a caster group wants a pure bodyguard there wont be a better one than a 50 shield armsman with SoB and the bodyguard ml...

Just a thought, as im lumbred with a gimp saracen merc, aura or kings, fumbles, 50 shield, no Mob, would be better?

*Ialkarn

Fledgling Freddie
Alithiel said:
But that's Mythics fault for having Parry resolved before Block, which is somewhat illogical in my opinion - if you're trained to fight with a sword and shield, you're trained to use the shield as your primary means of defense to keep your sword free to counter attack. Parry would be a secondary form of defense for if someone gets inside your blocking arc.

Maybe it's annoying but it's perfectly logical:do you think someone, fighting whit a shield and a sword ,would parry a shot after have tryed to block it ? he would wound himself for sure:)

and btw you have always your sword further your shield since its the weapon you use to reach your target,so it's normal to use it as first line of defence.

stubbe

Fledgling Freddie
*Ialkarn said:
Maybe it's annoying but it's perfectly logical:do you think someone, fighting whit a shield and a sword ,would parry a shot after have tryed to block it ? he would wound himself for sure:)

and btw you have always your sword further your shield since its the weapon you use to reach your target,so it's normal to use it as first line of defence.
Logic? We're talking about Mythic games here :) I'm pretty sure it's purely coincidental that it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom