Body Language

Laddey

FH is my second home
Has anybody studied this?

I've seen a book in WH Smith and i may just invest for when im bored.

Anybody any experience with it?

What does it involve? Basically what people do with their body when they are nervous, lying, confident etc etc??

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I remember hearing there's a thing where you look either left or right depending on whether you are telling the truth, but a really experienced fibber would know this and control their eyes! I think it only works when people are not aware of what they are doing (like drunks and kids, or drunk kids) otherwise it's kind of a load of balloney, I mean people all know the signs to show you are assertive when in a job interview etc so they do it even if they are not feeling it.

Just assume everyone is lying in the first place, sod what their mouth and body language is saying, don't trust the buggers!

Laddey

FH is my second home
It's really interesting though. Would be so helpful to me in so many instances!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl, no it wouldn't it'd be like when people buy books on making home brew or growing veg in confined spaces... save your money for all your bills dude!!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
pier_c_main.jpg

tierk

Part of the furniture
Any salesman worth his salt will have taken courses on this. I have been on a few of these and it has helped me over the years immensely. It should teach you things about when people are comfortable or not, when they are lying etc.

Basically the idea behind it is that human beings give off signs /signals all the time on a subconscious level and without actually realising that that they are doing it. Obviously as a salesman this is very important as you can adjust your presentation or pitch accordingly.

It is also great for picking up d'ladyzzzzzzzzz :D

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
I remember hearing there's a thing where you look either left or right depending on whether you are telling the truth, but a really experienced fibber would know this and control their eyes! I think it only works when people are not aware of what they are doing (like drunks and kids, or drunk kids) otherwise it's kind of a load of balloney, I mean people all know the signs to show you are assertive when in a job interview etc so they do it even if they are not feeling it.

Just assume everyone is lying in the first place, sod what their mouth and body language is saying, don't trust the buggers!

Hhmmm on the other hand, being a master of reading body language has its uses, like

whats up with a girl who is always playing with his hair when you talk to her?

Ok ok that was obvious :p but knowing the sign for "invite me to dinner so then we can do it like they do on the discovery channel"?? sure might come handy :lol:

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl but then even when people are giving out all the signs they like you they shit all over you (and not in a good way) aaaand right and you know some people you think they hate you and they like you but are just crap at showing it; honestly I swear I never know what the fuckers are thinking!

Except me, I'm usually thinking about toast.

[edit: and you lot are either thinking about games or tits, except Mike, he's thinking games and cock]

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
rofl but then even when people are giving out all the signs they like you they shit all over you (and not in a good way) aaaand right and you know some people you think they hate you and they like you but are just crap at showing it; honestly I swear I never know what the fuckers are thinking!

Except me, I'm usually thinking about toast.

[edit: and you lot are either thinking about games or tits, except Mike, he's thinking games and cock]

:iagree:
Murphy's Law my dear. Murphy's Law :p

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I think mainly about half naked women and delicious cake, i tried to streamline both into 1, but it failed horribly :(

NoFatChicks.jpg

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Jeez.... one doesnt know where does the belly end and where does the legs start :sick:

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Ok ok that was obvious :p but knowing the sign for "invite me to dinner so then we can do it like they do on the discovery channel"?? sure might come handy :lol:

Need to be careful with that as they might be:

A. Trying to find someone to have a serious relationship with
B. Looking for someone to become the next Julian Assange

Everything is not always as it might appear (I know I delight in giving mixed signals to people for just about everything because I'm awkward like that and I can't be the only one).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Body language in general isn't just a "point foot at someone, fancy a shag". It's very media ruined that way.

It's more of a combination of different variables, think of it like a sou; Water alone(twirling hair) makes a lousy soup, though drinkable, you're not sure what soup it is. But add in a few more incredients and you know much better what kind of soup the girl is offering.

I personally don't think much of it, even if it's handy in playing poker, as i prefer the direct talk way of things. Usually if i smell gameplay, i dno't want it anyway.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well I've definitely started to pick up certain things from my live poker games. It can be quite useful to know if someone is lying when money is involved!

There are a few common "tells" that most people have that apply across a poker table and in everyday life, but what it really comes down to is just being observant and remembering how they act when lying, confident and so on.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Body language and Kinesics etc are immense! You can learn so much and it's scary when you see your body re-acting. It can help when chatting to the opposite sex as well.

For instance, I did not know who told me a story about a guy who had trouble buying football boots due to his massive feet. Knowing the person who told me the story is not really important, so I said to the guys at work "oh my brother told me about this guy blah blah".

Because I could not really remember who told me the story, I said my brother and immediately stepped back. This is simply you trying to distance yourself from the lie. Just as my foot moved I laughed how my body was on auto pilot. You give so much away regarding body language it's untrue.

Edit:- Agree with Tohtori, you cannot base everything on 'one' reading. One thing women (maybe men too) can't control is their pupils dilating if they are 'interested' in a guy. You could look at think "Wow they are massive! (eyes, not boobs)" but it could be you're all in a dark room/club. I think you get the picture.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Body language is bollocks everyone is different you cannot learn what other people are thinking from how they're body is reacting, the only thing you can truly learn is how to recognise your own body language and how that impacts on the way people view you.

Laddey

FH is my second home
the only thing you can truly learn is how to recognise your own body language and how that impacts on the way people view you.
which is very useful in what i require!

Mey

Part of the furniture
If you want to learn how to recognise your own body language you don't need to read a book or go to a lesson. You just need to pay more attention to how your body reacts when you feel different things.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Body language is bollocks everyone is different you cannot learn what other people are thinking from how they're body is reacting, the only thing you can truly learn is how to recognise your own body language and how that impacts on the way people view you.

Well that is bollocks, mainly driven by the previously mentioned media ruined image of body language.

Most people think it's just "Oh look he's rubbing his cock, must mean he's hungry", but it's not. Body language is part of, well, best way to put it would be kind of cold reading, or perhaps empathy element.

It's just a fine toned method from seeing if someone is nervous, or scared.

By the way, even if it was bollocks, you contradict yourself with what i quoted;

It's bollocks, can't tell about people, but somehow your actions give others opinions? :p

tierk

Part of the furniture
everyone is different you cannot learn what other people are thinking from how they're body is reacting, the only thing you can truly learn is how to recognise your own body language and how that impacts on the way people view you.

Sorry but you are wrong.

It has been proven with research pretty much all human beings give these signals off, unless trained how not to do so.

Research has shown that non verbal communication accounts for anything between 50-90% of all communication. Verbal communication accounts for less than 10%.

As i said in my previous post it has made a massive difference in my job and personal life.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Pretty much the reason for internet being full of misunderstandings too, accompanied by the fact that there's no reprecussions(mostly).

Ormorof

FH is my second home
true i mean you cannot see that i am stroking my beard wisely when i make profound statements

i dont really have a beard :(

Mey

Part of the furniture
I've been to a variety of different seminars / lessons / talks about NVC's and Verbal communication.

In my opinion obviously, sure there are buying signals and the like but realistically everyones NVC's are releatively different, you can't just read someone from first meeting because you have been taught what to "look" for. Because everyones NVC's are different. It takes time to learn how people react. Most of the time you don't have that time. As a result it is far easier and far more important to recognise your own NVC's and learn how to use that to your advantage.

(Most of the time with NVC's we pick up on things without even realizing why we have, and often read wrongly.)

Personally if your looking at using NVC's in a sales kind of job the best tool you have is silence anyway.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
About 20 years ago my parents had a book by Desmond Morris. This book in fact:
Manwatching: A Field Guide to Human Behaviour: Amazon.co.uk: Desmond Morris: Books

I was quite fascinating to read. It had quite a bit about body language which was very interesting.
Sometimes some of what he has written still pops into my head from time to time when I recognise his observations.

I see he has another book just for body language
Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language: Amazon.co.uk: Desmond Morris: Books

true i mean you cannot see that i am stroking my beard wisely when i make profound statements

i dont really have a beard :(

Or make any profound statements! :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
split opinions!

ill go buy it today and read it when im taking a shit etc.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Or make any profound statements! :p

Profound: showing intellectual penetration or emotional depth; "the differences are profound"; "a profound insight"; "a profound book"; "a profound mind"; "profound contempt"; "profound regret"

as penetration is against the CoC (im sure theres an innuendo there) i will stick to emotional depth... depth...

:kissit:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
according to my ex I hum when I am aggravated or angry. I've been doing this for my whole life and wasn't aware of it until she told me 0o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom