Board gaming

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
So I've spent most of my adult life not playing board games, with the exception of the odd Christmas family time waster. Mrs RB hates them all, pretty much.

In the last few months I have started to get into them a bit, playing them with my daughter and her boyfriend. We have played mostly Carcassonne, Concordia, Ticket to Ride Europe and Letters from Whitehall. Sadly they're both of to uni in a couple of weeks but there are a few people at work who play so I can probably still indulge.

I don't remember board games ever being mentioned on here, but I figured some of the Freddys must play? Or am I the only sad middle aged man trying desperately to hang on to some sort of youth? So does the community have an opinion? Recommendations? Ta

dysfunction

FH is my second home
There is a bar in London where you can go and play board games. A bunch of work colleagues went after work.

It was actually quite good fun. A lot more fun than I was expecting.

They have nearly every board game you can think of.

I quite enjoyed playing Risk when I was a kid.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Yeah I played Risk, Monopoly etc. My favourite as a kid was Colditz, but I've never played anything as an adult.

I think board gaming is having a revival at the moment, hence the cafes you mention. It can be very sociable, and there are some very clever, strategic games around.

georgie

FH is my second home
Settlers of Catan, Scrabble, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Cluedo, Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert, Dixit, Pandemic (for a co-op experience).

Have enjoyed playing all of the above in the last few years. A mix of styles and ages there. If you have little ones that you want to play board games with, I'm currently playing a lot of Sorry! with my niece and nephew which they are enjoying.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Ha! Yes I remember playing Sorry! as a kid, it was a great game! I've not got little ones any more though.

Looking at Catan as a possible purchase, and also seen good things about Pandemic. My daughter likes co-op, she's not as cutthroat as her boyfriend and me!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Order of the Stick is a good game if you can get a few people playing.

georgie

FH is my second home
Malefiz was a game that a German friend of mine introduced me to back in school, it's like Sorry! on steroids. Had many a fun night playing that and it only occasionally got violent. ;)

Vae

Resident Freddy
Order of the Stick is a good game if you can get a few people playing.

Sorry - absolutely disagree. I love OoTS and have that game but it is dire. Takes FAR too long for what it is.

I play (and have) a lot of games. My suggestion for board game advice is to have a look here: BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000
Especially at certain ranking lists e.g. Family

My recommendations would depend on how many players you have and what you like about the games you have played so far.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OoTS game divides opinion, there are some user reviews that love it, but others that say the same as you Vae, too long winded. It is also pretty pricey compared to other options.

I have found BoardGameGeek thank you it's a useful resource along with Reddit r/boardgames and Zatu Games is a good online shop, competitive pricing and reasonably good reviews and opinions for someone trying to sell stuff!

So far everything we've played has been 3 player, once those 2 go to Uni I don't know how many I'll get from work, but apparently thee are a few who are keen.

Vae

Resident Freddy
OoTS game divides opinion, there are some user reviews that love it, but others that say the same as you Vae, too long winded. It is also pretty pricey compared to other options.

I have found BoardGameGeek thank you it's a useful resource along with Reddit r/boardgames and Zatu Games is a good online shop, competitive pricing and reasonably good reviews and opinions for someone trying to sell stuff!

So far everything we've played has been 3 player, once those 2 go to Uni I don't know how many I'll get from work, but apparently thee are a few who are keen.

I'd sell OoTS off cheap! Tried selling it for £5 in the below facebook group leading up to the UK Games Expo but no-one wanted it!

I'd also join Board Game Trading and Chat UK which is the main UK based chat and trading group. Often possible to get games cheaper second hand than direct. Zatu is a good shop though with good prices. Chaos cards is another.

From the games you listed Concordia is by far the 'heaviest' (i.e. most complicated). The others are what are termed 'gateway' games. Fairly easy to explain and introduce to other people.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Galaxy Trucker

First half racing to build a coherent space ship against your friends and a timer. Second is racing around the galaxy to see if your ship can survive whilst getting loot and beating your friends.

All-day ace-ness :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
IMG_20190913_140012.jpg

So as planned my new acquisitions, played a few games yesterday.

Azul is completely abstract (ignoring the ridiculous King of Portugal tiling his wall narrative they've tacked on) but it's a lovely game to play. Very tactical but simple in its mechanics, but tactile too, the pieces feel nice to use. Very much recommended, even though it turned out I was a bit shit at it

Pandemic is a coop game, three of us fighting time, and the unpredictable spread of 4 different deadly diseases, to save the world. We played 3 games in all and were successful twice. Better than we expected, but we were only playing on beginner level, and both times we were one move away from losing. Truly nail biting, and satisfying to win. Brilliant fun. Also very much recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom