Bluetooth Headache

Gray

FH is my second home
Reet, since my reinstallation of WinXP i didnt bother with the installing of the Bluetooth Dongle i have because when i first did it, it took like 2mins to install.

Now, its a complete pain in the arse to set it up for some reason. I installed the Drivers for it, as usual only its not setting itself up! If i knew what was wrong id probably be able to explain it, but, from what i can see, nothing is? :eek:

I installed the drivers, it kept coming up about "Not safe to do so, Doesnt have Microsoft Certified Drivers etc etc" - I kept continuing it tho, which was the usual thing to do. Anyway, it installed, and now i have the Blue Bluetooth Icon in taskbar, but instead of it being White, its Red (Disabled?).

I click on it, it opens up "My Bluetooth Places", i click then to the Setup Wizard. I have my Sony Ericsson K700i which i want to connect, more on that in a second. My K700i has Bluetooth Enabled at the time, so when its doing a scan, it should be picked up? Nope. Just keeps scanning... scanning... nothing.

It says "Set the phone to Discoverable mode", now, i think its where its Bluetooth on, Unhidden and doing a search when it is classed as "Discoverable", but either way, none detect each other.

I will throw a few pics up of this stuff, but anyway, im also unsure of what Services to have, ive selected "Audio Gateway/Serial Port/File Transfer/Headset" leaving out the rest.

There is also another "internet icon" with a cross thru it, when i click on it, it says "Local Area Connection 2 - Network Cable Unplugged" and "Bluetooth Network Connection - Disconnected".

I think them two above are the reason why neither can see each other, well, thats a lie, the K700i when sometimes doing a search, can locate the PC - But never vice versa. Anyway, pics coming up:

Network Connection
Services
Taskbar
Devices Manager

Also - The WIDCOMM version is 1.3.2.7

Gray

FH is my second home
Just found it may have somethin to do with SP2..

fs ! :/

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
was just about to say m8

it might be sp2 trying to impose some kind of network security on your bluetooth network, mine works the same way and i didnt install sp2 just in case that happened :D

Gray

FH is my second home
Maybe... wonder if i turn off some Services or maybe somethin in the "Security Centre" may have info?

Anyone else encountered a problem like this? did some checks on Google which brought up nothing :/

Gray

FH is my second home
well this is a headache... posted around a few places, but no one knows :/

pissing me off! altho, i did seem to find this:

conf.jpg

Wonder if its not setup correctly... anyone know about updated drivers for Bluetooth?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, it's a simple one, and you're right - SP2 is teh cause.

I've got a lot of bluetooth widgetry and learnt the hard way last time I f-f-r that if you don't install BT before SP2 then XPs own Bluetooth stack gets installed to the machine and third party offerings will_not_install.

Only two options were to either uninstall SP2 - reinstall BT then reinstall SP2, or rinse-repeat the whole setup.

Because I'm a stability whore, I went for option 2... But I've heard of plenty of people who went the uninstall route... Just before you try it make sure everything on your boot/windows partition is backed up ;)

Gray

FH is my second home
ahhh bollocks... just had a feeling id have to reinstall..... bah

the XP i have has SP2 slipstreamed onto it, i think if i installs id probably leave SP2 off it.. hohum

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Slipstreamed means there's no option to install without. The physical cab files have all been upgraded to SP2 and the non-sp2 files don't remain.

Best bet is to call the manufacturer of your bluetooth device and tell them you just bought it and your SP2 is slipstreamed. Make it their problem. Heh.

Gray

FH is my second home
Well i got the MX900 mouse in a vain hope that this would sort out the problem regarding the Bluetooth not working on the Service Pack 2.

Me thinking Logitech was a "player" in this, expected em to at least have compatible drivers for the Bluetooth for SP2... Unfortunatly wasnt the case, and it hasnt helped.

Im suprised no one has brought out a fix for this yet, especially at Microsoft considering they have now started to sell SP2 slipstramed onto their disc' which are sold on new computers, you cant find old Pre-SP1 discs anywhere :/

Tis annoying, ive emailed Logitech in a hope they know how to fix this, if they dont know, then its £50 down the pan as this was what i bought the mouse for (Bluetooth)

*sigh*

Gray

FH is my second home
Ah ha! Finally, finally, finally...

After trawling thru Microsofts Knowledge Base, i came to the conclusion there was fuckall you could do to get it working...

Until i looked deeper into the Logitech Website, they knew of the slipstreaming problem and found a workaround. The drivers previously was not installed when i attempted, because it kept saying Drivers were already installed.

I checked Device Manager but there was faff all showing regarding Bluetooth, bar the COMM ports, then they said check Add/Remove Programs and remove the WIDCOMM drivers - Which on my system THANKFULLY was present.

I removed, and the Bluetooth Dongle got picked up immediatly! Sorted! Only have a minor problem now, the phone/computer is being picked up vice versa, but when trying to connect to each other in the Logitech Software or Bluetooth Neighbourhood, they lock when "In Discoverable mode".

My heads battered from getting it finally on, so i dont really care about that not working as of yet, because i will try again tomorrow when ive slept, but that was a major major hurdle i got past *win*

lalalalaalallaala heh

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I had a similar problem recently when installing BT on an SP2 machine. It was a motorola BT dongle that they bundled with a phone. The disk installs the Widcom driver, but as soon as you plug the dongle in, windows 'install new hardware' jumps in, takes over and uses the microsoft drivers. I actually ended up with 2 BT icons in the task bar, one for microsoft and one for Widcom. The Widcom one then said that there was no device present and the motorola software refused to work with the microsoft stack.

The way I got around it was to go into the device manager and under bluetooth devices there were two entries. I cant 100% remember their names as its not my PC I was sorting this on, but one was something like "microst bluetooth device" and the other was something like "Microsoft CSR bluetooth controller".

I disabled the bluetooth device, and then updated the driver for the CSR controller. I said "Ill installer the driver -> have disk, etc" and then pointed it at the "btwusb.inf" file in "Program Files->Widcom->Bluetooth Software->bin" directory and jobs-a-good-un tbh. A quick reboot and all was fine. The widcom driver is called "CSR controller" rather than "Micorsoft CSR controller" in the device driver list.

Gray

FH is my second home
Ohhkeyy! This is the final possible question on this.

As stated, i purchased the Logitech MX900, i love the mouse, the bluetooth works, and everything like that.

Problem.

The mouse batteries, even after a full charge, last less than 4 hours during gameplay. This is really unacceptable since the MX700 batteries lasted about 3 days before needing a charge (Not that i left it that long).

I have noticed that the Bluetooth on this device is always on, and im thinking, just like phones, it eats batteries like there is no tomorrow if its enabled.

Is there a way to turn off the bluetooth, it seems logical, but also at the same time, part of me is saying "well.. duh if you do that the mouse aint gonna work".

But then i think "Well wait a tick, the mouse is only a device linked to the Bluetooth hub, so why would it use all the battery energy up so fast".

It says after 3 charges the mouse should be top notch, but, if half a day at most during rapid gameplay is "top" then pffft :/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a Logitech radio mouse, and the 2xAAA batteries last for a couple of months.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Gray said:
Ohhkeyy! This is the final possible question on this.

As stated, i purchased the Logitech MX900, i love the mouse, the bluetooth works, and everything like that.

Problem.

The mouse batteries, even after a full charge, last less than 4 hours during gameplay. This is really unacceptable since the MX700 batteries lasted about 3 days before needing a charge (Not that i left it that long).

I have noticed that the Bluetooth on this device is always on, and im thinking, just like phones, it eats batteries like there is no tomorrow if its enabled.

Is there a way to turn off the bluetooth, it seems logical, but also at the same time, part of me is saying "well.. duh if you do that the mouse aint gonna work".

But then i think "Well wait a tick, the mouse is only a device linked to the Bluetooth hub, so why would it use all the battery energy up so fast".

It says after 3 charges the mouse should be top notch, but, if half a day at most during rapid gameplay is "top" then pffft :/

Sounds like you've got duff batteries or something. My mx900 lasts a couple of days before the little red light starts flashing at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom