Blue Screens

Civ

Loyal Freddie
Once in a while , like twice a day i get a blue screen while running daoc.
Dont get them in normal pc usage or other games.
Wonder if anyone of u got this problem or knows a solution to this problem?

Btw this is my setup.

Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 512mb
Apacer DDR2-667 PC 5300 1024mb x 2
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 SATA 250gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache x2
ASUS AM2 M2N-e (nforce570-ultra)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ 1mb

I downloaded the dualcore processor patch from amd.com , but that only fixed ingame flashing textures and mem leaks in windows.

Thx in Advance

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Civ said:
Once in a while , like twice a day i get a blue screen while running daoc.
Dont get them in normal pc usage or other games.
Wonder if anyone of u got this problem or knows a solution to this problem?

Btw this is my setup.

Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 512mb
Apacer DDR2-667 PC 5300 1024mb x 2
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 SATA 250gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache x2
ASUS AM2 M2N-e (nforce570-ultra)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ 1mb

I downloaded the dualcore processor patch from amd.com , but that only fixed ingame flashing textures and mem leaks in windows.

Thx in Advance
Could be a memory problem. Try running memtest+
howto blatantly ripped from the FAQ on their forum, but adapted to only explain for windows:
Run from CD

Memtest86+ is directly executable by any modern x86 compatible machine, by writing the iso to a CD one can boot from the CD to run memtest.

Simply download the appropriate package, the Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).

Unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest. You will now see a file called memtest86+-1.xx.iso in this directory. You will need to burn this file to a CD with a CD recording program. Do note however that you should not make a regular data CD on which you for instance write your text documents and holiday photographs. Instead the iso file is a so called image of a CD, it is a direct copy of a CD. Your CD recording program will most likely have a feature called burn image or something to that effect which you should use to burn the CD.

When the burning completed your drive will most likely have ejected the CD and you should have a bootable memtest86+ CD. To run the test directly reinsert the CD and reboot your machine.

Your machine should now boot from the CD, display the word Loading folowed by a series of periods and then show a screen much like the screenshots on the memtest86+ web page. The test is automatically started.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from CD-ROM drive on startup, refer to your computer's/mainboard's manual how to do this.

When you are done testing simply remove the CD and reset your computer, if ever you want to execure the test again simply reinsert the CD and reboot/start your computer.

Run from floppydisk

Memtest86+ is directly executable by any modern x86 compatible machine, by writing the bootable binary to a floppy disk one can boot from the disk to run memtest.

Simply download the appropriate package, the Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest, insert a blank floppy into your a: disk drive and run the install.bat file. As the install prompts you, to use memtest directly, leave the disk in the drive and reboot your machine.

Your machine should now boot from the disk, display the word Loading folowed by a series of periods and then show a screen much like the screenshots on the memtest86+ web page. The test is automatically started.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from floppy disk on startup, refer to your computer's/mainboard's manual how to do this.

When you are done testing simply remove the floppy and reset your computer, if ever you want to execure the test again simply reinsert the disk and reboot/start your computer.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! my computers at my secondry school suffered badly with it, turned out it was the monitors iirc

Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Run from CD

Memtest86+ is directly executable by any modern x86 compatible machine, by writing the iso to a CD one can boot from the CD to run memtest.

Simply download the appropriate package, the Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).

Unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest. You will now see a file called memtest86+-1.xx.iso in this directory. You will need to burn this file to a CD with a CD recording program. Do note however that you should not make a regular data CD on which you for instance write your text documents and holiday photographs. Instead the iso file is a so called image of a CD, it is a direct copy of a CD. Your CD recording program will most likely have a feature called burn image or something to that effect which you should use to burn the CD.

When the burning completed your drive will most likely have ejected the CD and you should have a bootable memtest86+ CD. To run the test directly reinsert the CD and reboot your machine.

Your machine should now boot from the CD, display the word Loading folowed by a series of periods and then show a screen much like the screenshots on the memtest86+ web page. The test is automatically started.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from CD-ROM drive on startup, refer to your computer's/mainboard's manual how to do this.

When you are done testing simply remove the CD and reset your computer, if ever you want to execure the test again simply reinsert the CD and reboot/start your computer.

Run from floppydisk

Memtest86+ is directly executable by any modern x86 compatible machine, by writing the bootable binary to a floppy disk one can boot from the disk to run memtest.

Simply download the appropriate package, the Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest, insert a blank floppy into your a: disk drive and run the install.bat file. As the install prompts you, to use memtest directly, leave the disk in the drive and reboot your machine.

Your machine should now boot from the disk, display the word Loading folowed by a series of periods and then show a screen much like the screenshots on the memtest86+ web page. The test is automatically started.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from floppy disk on startup, refer to your computer's/mainboard's manual how to do this.

When you are done testing simply remove the floppy and reset your computer, if ever you want to execure the test again simply reinsert the disk and reboot/start your computer.

im guessing you could also mount it using a virtual cd program, if you dont have a cd burner, but tbh who doesn't now a days

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
psyco said:
im guessing you could also mount it using a virtual cd program, if you dont have a cd burner, but tbh who doesn't now a days
Is it possible to boot from virtual CD-drive? Oo

Memtest for Windows, way better than memtest86+ imo (can keep memtest86 running for several days without problems but HCI memtest finds errors within few hours -> solved why my computer was unstable).

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
Is it possible to boot from virtual CD-drive? Oo

Memtest for Windows, way better than memtest86+ imo (can keep memtest86 running for several days without problems but HCI memtest finds errors within few hours -> solved why my computer was unstable).
perhaps, but running a memtest from within windows has a much much higher chance of giving false positives when infact it's a faulty installed driver or something.

psyco said:
Me in that little howto said:
Your machine should now boot from the CD

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
perhaps, but running a memtest from within windows has a much much higher chance of giving false positives when infact it's a faulty installed driver or something.
Yup, that's how it used to be with windows memtests but HCI one is just awesome :cool: Personally I've totally lost my trust on memtest86 - when it finds errors computer is perfectly fine and stable and when it doesn't find errors computer gets unstable ;/ When overclocking and tweaking the memory settings to max that is, might work well for non-overclocked comps :p

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Make a note off what its says on the blue screen, if ur system restarts after the blue screen go into system properties > start up and recovery and untick automatically restart (under system failure)

A blue screen will often give you the driver file name if it's a driver issue.

If its a memory issue, hdd issue or something like blown capacitors on your mobo then your blue screens will likely be random and might just give you mem address space.

What your looking for is a consistent point of failure over a few blue screens if your lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom