Bloody hell..

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
My yahoo account (The main email address I use) has got annoying recently.

Look at this! (Warning: 1600x1200 screen shot.)

Hundreds of those are from ME!

Admitedly that is my bulk mail folder. Why are that many viruses being sent to me using my address in the from field?

Somehow my email address is being put into the from field of a lot of viruses. I wonder how much other people are getting from 'me'.

The other thing that started happening today is i'm getting "failure delivery" messages from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com EVERY FEW SECONDS!

It seems like my address may actually be sending out these email.

While typing this post I have recieved 6 " failure delivery" messages.

My email address is being used in the from field for a lot of viruses :( I dont understand why my address is being used so much. I thought these things randomly chose email addresses and put one in the to field and one in the from field with a random message.

It's just plain annoying. These faliure delivery messages are
quickly filling up my inbox.

Is there any way of stopping this?

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
If possible (it may not be with Yahoo webmail), get a set of full SMTP headers from those messages, particularly the 'Recieved:' headers, and you should have some idea who is really sending them out (or at least the open relay server that is being abused), perhaps the source IP address can be traced and the ISP informed.

A colleauge of mine had a similar problem recently, it turned out to be a malicious attempt to incriminate him by a rather sad little git in Brum. Tracing the message source provided enough evidence for the ISP to report the attacker to the Police and black list him across the UK.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
mail spoofing sucks...

chances are that no one is recieving malicious mail from you, but from them selfs as well...

the idea is to confuse people into thinking "i wonder what someone sent from my account... i'll open that attachment"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom