Bloody BBC

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
i personally like adverts :( some are cool tho at the moment theres no good adverts on that amuse me

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It has been challanged in court ,2 scousers (no shit) took the government to the European court because the free access to public information is a basic human right in the EU, they argued that they were being illegally taxed to watch free channels, they technically had a case, but it was thrown out for various reasons, but you can bet someone else will try again with a stronger case (more expensive lawyers).

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol that really doesnt surprise me "its my basic human right to watch telly" puh-lease ffs!! when theres folk out there with no food or shelter some people blathering cos they have to pay to watch ancient reruns of some 1970's sitcom with nicholas sodding lyndhurst in it.

I went for ages without a telly and tbh it was quite nice, listened to the radio a lot (this was b4 i learnt how to use a pc too so no DL'ing progs either) read just about every book in my library and went to the cinema if i wanted to see a movie, point being you can survive with out a tv.

If the Tv licence folk came round here i wouldnt open the door to them even though ive got a licence because i disagree totally with their methods of gaining entry to peoples houses (i.e trying to bluff and play the heavy) i never answer my door anyway unless i've had prior warning as to who it's going to be.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
tax people with radios tbh... they need to pay to receieve a signal!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
My problem isn't with the licence fee as such, just the quality of programming we get for our money these days. Endless repeats of classic comedy and a billion reality shows does not equal value for money. Yes the BBC radio selection is good and worthwhile, the BBC website is also good but it pisses me off that they offer it in 18+ languages, why are we paying for content directly aimed at non-British nationals? All in all I feel the BBC are just like any other public service, money wasters with no idea how to run a successful buisness that gives the customers what they want.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
You know when you hate something so much you cant even begin to describe the hate....yeah bbc falls into that catergory

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:

this definatly isnt true, my friend has a TV he just doesnt have an ariel (Watchs films through dvd and video) and he doesnt pay for a tv license.

I think you are confused I never said otherwise.. In fact I thought I said the same as you, that they likely just look thru your window to see the glow of the TV programming :) By the way if your friend uses a TV to watch DVD's and that TV has the ability to recieve TV signals then he should be paying the fee even if it isnt hooked up to an aerial.

99% of the time they know you have a TV because when you buy one you generally fill in a warranty slip, The manufacturer then passes on your address to the license authority. This can then be used as circumstancial evidence for any prosecution. So if you buy a cheap TV dont fill it in! or buy your telly second hand.

At the point where they are reasonably sure you are using a unregistered TV, believe me there is gear than can detect whether a TV is running in your house, but they would only use this in the case where they are already investigating you.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Spooks and Hustle alone make the bbc worth paying for then all the other crap you can watch as well as being able to watch the scotland game last night on BBC Scotland i for one dont mind paying the fee.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
DocWolfe said:
tax people with radios tbh... they need to pay to receieve a signal!

Funnily enough

I think your tv license covers your radio use as well ;)

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
The licence fee you pay does cover the BBC radio stations as well so you don't get all the crap that alot of the smaller local stations have.

And since someone mentioned about keeping a record now of people that buy TV's (cant be bothered finding name again sorry), I know in Safeways we had to get every person to purchase a TV licence with the TV unless they could provide one they already had.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Its funny reading this thread. Its the same thing in Ireland, we have to pay a TV lisence for RTE (national TV & Radio Stations, though they do have ad's). Everyone allways goes on about it, and they talk about us being the "Rip off Republic". Now I see its not only in Britain too but in Finland aswell, and someone here said "Rip off Britain".

Its all the same

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Job said:
You can watch the Simpsons on the BBC with no advert breaks, practically unheard of anywhere else.

gifv simpsons on BBC again :(

(unless they've moved back from channel 4 since i came to uni, in which case, go go Beeb ;) )

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Ormorof said:
gifv simpsons on BBC again :(

WOAH! just seen the ads tonight.. we getting Family Guy (PWNZ SIMPSONS!) and American Dad on bbc2.

rarrr!

now for those of u complaining about bbc.. consider how many comedies have appeared on other channels.. add them all up.. and u still wont even get close to the VERY good stuff bbc have shown.

watched the ITV news at lunchtime.. they couldnt read of the autoque, they didnt know what story was next, then they done a sat link.. and the dude just stood there unaware it was his turn to talk.. total amateurs.

ITV sport coverage is even worse. ad breaks during F1 races.. LOL? (we going for a break, but dont worry, if anything happens we'll repeat it eventually if our host producers show it again), football is shocking beyond belief.. ron atkinson.. other non-entitity comentators not knowing who is who unless the team is Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal..

i'd rather pay for a TV license than see my progs interrupted by badly dubbed ads for shampoo and sugar free lollypops, and see a MUCH higher standard of progs that DONT include such bollocks as Big Brother.

if u UK peeps dont watch stuff on bbc.. u missing out really. agree with dude earlier.. Spooks and Hustle are stunning progs.. how the hell they come up with those storylines for each series i'll never know.. awesome stuff

also what u gota consider is.. they educate peeps from ages of 2-102+ in an entertaining way. ITV would have their pre-school progs sponsored by MacDonalds if they had their way.. they dont give a shit.. its ALL about MONEY.

BBC aint. its about quality and content. write down your 20 greatest progs... of all time..

then say how many were made by the bbc.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Not read the whole thread, so someone else may have mentioned this.

I remember hearing a long while ago about some bloke who made it physically impossible for his tv to recieve signals from BBC1 and 2. When they tried forcing money out of him it went to court and because they couldn't prove he was able to watch their channels, they couldn't get any money out of him.

Maybe it's just rumour, but i remember hearing something simular. Personally i very rarely watch tv, if i do, its not the bbc channels.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Ok yes i'll admit it the bbc do show some good prog's (i must say their nature documentarys usually kick arse) but its not a monopoly that the bbc is the only channel to show good shows, anyone see Elizabeth? on c4 with helen mirren? that was excellant.

Not going to do a list because i cant be bothered but just think for what we pay for our licence fee, how many nights have you sat there, a lost and bewieldered expression on your face clutching the tv guide chanting the mantra "absoloutely bloody nothing on"

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
Naffets said:
Not read the whole thread, so someone else may have mentioned this.

I remember hearing a long while ago about some bloke who made it physically impossible for his tv to recieve signals from BBC1 and 2. When they tried forcing money out of him it went to court and because they couldn't prove he was able to watch their channels, they couldn't get any money out of him.

Maybe it's just rumour, but i remember hearing something simular. Personally i very rarely watch tv, if i do, its not the bbc channels.

afaik.. as long as your tv runs from an internal power source.. i.e. portable handheld, u dont need to pay a license fee. and as we all as pc users know, there's way to show progs on tv thru them thingies :)

now dont get me wrong with my previous posts ok.. i do think the bbc do a fantastic job and make the best programmes in the world. but i also believe peeps should have a choice.

As for the bloke who reconfigured his tv to not recieve bbc signal.. erm.. was he spending sooo much cash on texting for Big Brother fave that he couldnt afford license anymore i wonder.. and has nothing to watch now..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ezteq said:
well most people know but the TV detector vans are actually crap they dont have a way of tracking you down and even if they do they actually have no leagle way of entering you house (they might try and imply that they have the right to enter your property but think about it, even the police need a warrant).

they CAN track that u have something in your house. but they cant tell if its a TV or a computer monitor as they give out the same signals.

so if u have a PC and one of those idiots come accusing u of not paying the fee, and they say they KNOW u have a TV, u just say no its my PC monitor :)

oh and where i live (not sure its still the case tho) if u remove the reciever that allows u to see the "default" free channels u wont have to pay the fee if all u can watch is the satelite channels. not sure they changed that here in sweden tho, was some talk about that quite a while ago. but i dont have a TV so i dont really care ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom