Impressed Bloke jumps out of balloon 25 miles up

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Absolutely insane that such an event wasn't broadcast properly, at least here in the U.K..

Here it's news worthy, among our kind of people. Among those kind of people *points out into the world* honey boo boo.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Big G said:
Saw this on Sicki:

So Felix Baumgartner is an extreme athlete is he?

If I jumped out of the same capsule, I'd miss the planet and just float off into fucking space, would I?

Yes you would!!!! Or you would go into spin and drill down 5 miles into the earth.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It was broadcast properly, online. You don't need an hour long show with talking heads babbling on and on about something or other.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You don't NEED it as an audience member, but if a UK TV station had picked it up they would have dominated viewing figures and audience share and made themselves a decent amount of cash.

It's a sign of how out of touch TV schedulers and producers are with what's popular: the stream was the most watch live YouTube event ever.

As it was it was only the tech-savvy and aware people who tuned in. Potentially could have been a lot more with older audiences less likely to partake in streaming activities.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
How far in advance did they know they were going to go ahead with it though? It was postponed a few times and who knows what sort of licensing deals Red Bull would've been after.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yep, not a great fit for live coverage, hence the in depth documentary that will be shown in a month or so. It was enthralling, but it should have been enthralling at lunchtime a few days before initially, and was delayed on Sunday too. It was big, but not big enough to mess with the schedules that much.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh yeah there's some logistical considerations to account for but the event wasn't even played out properly on dedicated news channels, they just hopped in an out. Madness.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite...lix-Saw-Red-Bull-Stratos-Live-021243270932859

Some on-board jump footage. It's fucking so bizarre, just looks like he's floating around to start with as there's no reference points to judge his descent on.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yep, not a great fit for live coverage, hence the in depth documentary that will be shown in a month or so. It was enthralling, but it should have been enthralling at lunchtime a few days before initially, and was delayed on Sunday too. It was big, but not big enough to mess with the schedules that much.

Sorry but bullshit. Have you seen what was on TV on the main channels at the same time? It's nothing but utter guff, there's no decent programming at that time.

BBC1 - Points of View, Songs of Praise, repeated food show
BBC2 - repeated antiques selling show, repeated travel doc
ITV - repeated Downtown Abbey, news
C4 - Deal or No Deal, film - The Golden Compass
C5 - Film - A Bug's Life, film - Godzilla

The only things on there as part of a real schedule are points of view and songs of praise.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I agree that there is no decent programming, but the tv execs aren't going to green light a 3 hour plus interruption to their schedules at some random point, sometime over the next few weeks, when it suits us and oh, you can only show ads when we tell you and you can only show ads for our shitty drink.

It's naive to think otherwise. BBC News channel did show the moment of jumping didn't they? I'm sure I read that somewhere. It was all on live on Red Bulls own TV channel by the way, but you have to live in Switzerland to watch that.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The TV show wouldn't need to be the full length at all. Half an hour would easily suffice (a few mins buildup, the jump, landing, brief reaction - end).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Wasn't it rescheduled a bunch of times too? They aren't exactly going to re-arrange their planned TV schedule for a 10 minute event.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The TV show wouldn't need to be the full length at all. Half an hour would easily suffice (a few mins buildup, the jump, landing, brief reaction - end).

TV is so last century. Red Bull probably made more money off Youtube ads than they would have made syndicating it on scheduled TV. And don't forget, in several European countries they wouldn't even have been allowed to show it on live TV without dumping the RB branding (France, Belgium, a few others) because Red Bull advertising is banned.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Felix Baumgartner jumped from 128000ft, confirming his status as the worlds greatest diver and used to performing in conditions with no atmosphere.
Liverpool have made a £27 million bid for him.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Also, it was insane that this wasn't on TV.

News channels half covered it but no-one gave it dedicated time, which is mad

I watched it live on BBC News channel on Freeview. They very much had dedicated coverage. Shame their lame 'Science Correspondent' who was all "errr" when asked what the metric figure on-screen was (they had altitude in feet, time elapsed since balloon launch, and the rather obvious kilometres/metres on the end, which it was depends on if they were using UK decimal point or EU thousands separator).

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
BBC and Discovery channel are both combined in a documentary covering it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom