Question Blody subtitles

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I've got a folder of .mkv files here, they have another file with each of them, when I played the file it had Japanese subtitles.

I deleted the subtitle files, just leaving the actual .mkv's , and now the subtitles are in English.

Is there any way I can turn the subtitles off? I can return the secondary files if necessary.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They will be embedded in the mkv container with the audio and video tracks. What player are you using? I have a LG Blu-ray player that always wants to show subs if they're present when I'm playing stuff from a USB disk, it's well annoying. It doesn't happen in Windows though (MPC-BE). Have you tried multiple mkvs? The subs may be forced (only pops up when something happens in a foreign launguage) or may even be burned into the video track if it's a foreign language film.

Download MediaInfo, open up one of the mkv files in it and you will see it lists a video track, the audio track(s), and the subtitle track(s) and maybe chapter information. If you're feeling adventurous and you really don't want the subs you can download MKVToolnix and get rid of them altogether (by physically removing them from the container) with mkvmerge. Off the top of my head the command would look like:
Code:
mkvmerge.exe -o output.mkv --nosubs input.mkv

Last edited:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'll have a go in the morning, thanks for your help :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Hi it shows a text stream (I assume that's it) showing UTF-8.

This is an English-speaking season of The Sopranos I got for a mate, the fact that removing the secondary file (called a "real script file") changes the subs from Japanese to English (on the PC by the way) makes me hope I can turn it off of toggle it somehow.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
If I stream a mkv through my ps3 it gives me several transcode options, I just find the one with no subtitles

throdgrain

FH is my second home
This will be played on a regular laptop running Vista (god help him :) )

soze

I am a FH squatter
In VLC you can just change it. Subtitle > Sub Track > None and it will hide the subs for you.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah, haha, I thought you were on about playing it on a DVD player or something through USB - Yeah, download VLC, and right click subtitles none - simples psst :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Except MPC-BE is much lighter/prettier/better for just watching videos. It also has an option to ignore embedded subs altogether. And did I mention that it is lighter/prettier and better?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
In VLC you can just change it. Subtitle > Sub Track > None and it will hide the subs for you.

You can on WMP, which is what I am using, however it doesn't make any difference

throdgrain

FH is my second home
However, just tried it with Classic, and it works, happy days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom