Blockbuster = Administration!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
These companies are dropping like flies!

In Leicester, a Clintons Card shop shut down, week later, it was Jessops, month later or so (today) it's gone.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
...Sigh. You know when you only want to play games for 2-3 days at a time? I recently decided Blockbuster was actually rather useful. Need every game to have a 2-3 day trial before purchasing.

Gwadien

...Sigh. You know when you only want to play games for 2-3 days at a time? I recently decided Blockbuster was actually rather useful. Need every game to have a 2-3 day trial before purchasing.
Thing is, Consoles are the target for this kinda thing, and because of the sheer amount of teenagers with consoles and stuff, there will be always 1 mate out of a crowd that buys a 'single-player' game, and then lends it out when they're done - for instance my little bro is playing Far Cry 3 now, which he borrowed off his friend.. It makes it difficult for places like Blockbusters to survive purely off that, I suppose one way they could've survived is if the game companies released a game where you could play on how many consoles you want, and these exclusively were sold to places that rented games out, such as Blockbusters, whereas if you bought it personally, you could only play it on a single console (I suppose that's what Sony are doing for the new Play-station, but that's obviously not going to help blockbusters) Yeah, it'd piss the customer off, but I guess if they charged more for the rented version to sell to the rental places, the companies would still make the same amount of money.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

You can still rent through LoveFilm etc.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
TBH I'm surprised they lasted this long.
Used to be great 30+ years ago when VHS was around. You had to get there early on Friday / Saturday nights otherwise you'd be left with all the shite no one wanted to rent.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
TBH I'm surprised they lasted this long.
Used to be great 30+ years ago when VHS was around. You had to get there early on Friday / Saturday nights otherwise you'd be left with all the shite no one wanted to rent.

The first film our house got from the video shop was The Wrath of Khan. I still remember walking out with it and rushing home to watch it on our Ferguson Videostar :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
See? Back then equipment had proper names and looked awesome

betamax.jpg

betamax-vhs-1974-comp.jpg

Today's equipment might be high tec but its made of cheap Chinese shite. Back then it was wood & steel& proper physical switches, dials, and various levers, buttons & sockets which no one on earth knew what they did :) And look! Proper counter dials. None of your cheap digital display nonsense. Made from rocks, paid for in blood sweat & tears, wired to the tv by Dad, and knackered by the kids a year later :D

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh i remember old 8bit days when i used to wake up at 7am on a saturday morning to get to the rental place, just so you could rent a game as early as possible, then return it the next day just before the store closed to get 2 days of gaming for the price of 1 day rental :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
Oh i remember old 8bit days when i used to wake up at 7am on a saturday morning to get to the rental place, just so you could rent a game as early as possible, then return it the next day just before the store closed to get 2 days of gaming for the price of 1 day rental :p

So fucking true!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The first film our house got from the video shop was The Wrath of Khan. I still remember walking out with it and rushing home to watch it on our Ferguson Videostar :)

MadMax 2 and History Of The World Part One were ours, we pushed the boat out that day. Also a Ferguson Videostar.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I'm starting to want VHS to make a comeback.
There were 2 steps, put in the tape and press play.

Now it's up to 6 steps and 1-2 minutes before actually seeing the film start.
Wait for blu ray player to power up, put in disc, choose language, sit through 10-30 seconds of legal stuff, sit through a notice that it's better if my player was online (says on some films), press play movie.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
This is why you rip it, cutting out all the crap, store it on a NAS and then it's even quicker to watch

Or just download it....

rynnor

Rockhound
This is why you rip it, cutting out all the crap, store it on a NAS and then it's even quicker to watch

Or just download it....

Yes - I just rip mine - there was one series that had both fact and a load of bollocks from the people who rate DVDs both of which you couldnt jump through - if I had to sit through all that about 50 times I would have gone postal tbh...

Poag

m00?
I'm starting to want VHS to make a comeback.
There were 2 steps, put in the tape and press play.

Now it's up to 6 steps and 1-2 minutes before actually seeing the film start.
Wait for blu ray player to power up, put in disc, choose language, sit through 10-30 seconds of legal stuff, sit through a notice that it's better if my player was online (says on some films), press play movie.
And this is why physical media is dying. To much fluff, trying to tie you to their dieing system.

In our house all the TVs are smarttvs, they all have plex app installed. They are all, once the app is launched, 2 clicks away from whatever film they want to watch, and 3 for a tv show, or less.

Gwadien

I had this conversation with someone the other day

'Oh, I'd love it if VHS made a come back'
'No you wouldn't they're shit quality'
'True'

It's not like Vinyls :p

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Not only are they shit quality but they get worse every time you watch, pause or wind them ffs :D

Gwadien

Not only are they shit quality but they get worse every time you watch, pause or wind them ffs :D
haha, I remember being a right little cunt and not rewinding Tom & Jerry for my brother when I finished watching it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
MadMax 2 and History Of The World Part One were ours, we pushed the boat out that day. Also a Ferguson Videostar.
Convoy! Ferguson Videostar with those lovely piano keys :) Dad also had a Sony Betamax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom