Blizzard Announce European WoW Team

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
SFXman said:
Sheesh, they should base MMORPG headquarters in Finland... we get 1 gig connections for LAN parties :p
you would still need to get people to actually live there though and I really doubt you could people to live there and there might not be enough people in Finland with adequate knowledge who want to get a job as GM's :p(dont really know what exactly is involved, but GM's probably need abit of knowledge about servers and need to have knowledge about the games ofc).

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
you would still need to get people to actually live there though and I really doubt you could people to live there and there might not be enough people in Finland with adequate knowledge who want to get a job as GM's :p(dont really know what exactly is involved, but GM's probably need abit of knowledge about servers and need to have knowledge about the games ofc).

How about this one :
Finland is about as far away from the main customer base (germany/france/uk)
as you can get without actualy leaving europe.
while france/germany/Holland are right about smack in the middle

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
How about this one :
Finland is about as far away from the main customer base (germany/france/uk)
as you can get without actualy leaving europe.
while france/germany/Holland are right about smack in the middle

but with good connection that doesnt really matter does it? Off course setting up your server nearer to the customer base, usually means less lagg. But with FFXI the lagg is still ok isnt it and afaik the server is in japan.

Anyway I wasnt really being serious as indeed basing yourself in finland for a big internet connection, but with probably bigger lag isnt so good. However I do still think that if you base yourself in Finland you will have problem filling your staff as very few people would want to go live there and it really isnt uncommon for game companies to hire outside the country of where they are based and by going to Finland you will most likely not be able to do that (allthough Eve is based in Iceland, but then again Eve wasnt that big a hit:p).

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
wow, all this over where the sever is based, cant wait to see the thread for Content in WoW. In the end, who cares. as long as they can keep the sever running, and the violence aplenty, then who cares. sure, speed is one factor, but so is stability. Besides, if they realy muck things up, just complain until they fix it. Blizzard aint stupid, trust the frosty ones.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Driwen said:
there might not be enough people in Finland with adequate knowledge who want to get a job as GM's :p(dont really know what exactly is involved, but GM's probably need abit of knowledge about servers and need to have knowledge about the games ofc).
lol.gif
xxrotflmao.gif
biggthumpup.gif

As Ardrias already pointed out.
However I do still think that if you base yourself in Finland you will have problem filling your staff as very few people would want to go live there and it really isnt uncommon for game companies to hire outside the country of where they are based and by going to Finland you will most likely not be able to do that
Yes, this is such a horrible country. Definately prefer it over
francais.gif

They could simply hire from Finland, we have extremely an extremely competant IT industry and a finn will definately have a grasp of the english language miles past what your average french has. Also, nearly everyone has german or french as a subject starting from years back.
In other words, linguistically we would be an extremely good choice.
IT competance? Definately sufficient.
As a country? Wonderful white winters and very nice warm summers, and in general this is a very good country... actually rated to be the most competitive in the world.

Anyway, I merely commented on the 1 gig connection at a yearl LAN party and look what I got myself into.
1zhelp.gif

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV.
Finland, Finland, Finland.
It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan,
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

The country where I want to be,
Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

Finland has it all.
:clap:

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
SFXman said:
lol.gif
xxrotflmao.gif
biggthumpup.gif

As Ardrias already pointed out.

Yes, this is such a horrible country. Definately prefer it over
francais.gif

They could simply hire from Finland, we have extremely an extremely competant IT industry and a finn will definately have a grasp of the english language miles past what your average french has. Also, nearly everyone has german or french as a subject starting from years back.
In other words, linguistically we would be an extremely good choice.
IT competance? Definately sufficient.
As a country? Wonderful white winters and very nice warm summers, and in general this is a very good country... actually rated to be the most competitive in the world.

Anyway, I merely commented on the 1 gig connection at a yearl LAN party and look what I got myself into.
1zhelp.gif

"Team based in France" doesn't mean that all the empoyees will be french. France is a European Union State and signed the Schengen Agreement so every European Union citizen can work in France as if (s)he were in its own country.

In the same way, Blizzard is based in California but don't hire only Californian ...

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
good point, well made. Hell, employing ppl for this from all countries is practically what MMORPG's do. That and entertain. Global commerce works here (well, almost) main thing is to keep focus on what is important. What would you guys like to see supported most of all, tesch support, community, gameplay etc. Lets hear it so we can get the real issue in the open.

Whats important to you?

Me, it's got to be a stable server. without it i dont think World of Warcraft has got a prayer of being succesful.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
I wasn't being very serious in my talk there, it just propped up.
I wish I get to test the game :p

Hargh

Fledgling Freddie
I think I'll go american version and if the european one is show to be well managed i'll change. but we shall see.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
If in-fact they patch at the same time, then that would be all I require to definately be on the european ones. The difference in connection will be significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom