Black Mesa Source

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Couldn't believe it, when I heard this. So glad they are releasing at least some of it, for us to enjoy.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Jesus christ - this is nothing short of awesome. I thought the same rooms etc would be easily recognisable but SO much has been added or changed it's a complete retelling. The amount of work that's gone into this is clearly beyond comprehension especially for a mod team. Well worth the wait.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hmm, looks like i finally might try this out. From a lifetime gamer and game dev that's pretty out there to never have played it, but at that time i believe there was another game that took all the time i had...

Oh right...deja f*cking vu...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Brood_War

Now it's re-released and ready to play and what's behind the corner? Heart of the swarm :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Okay, I played an hour last night and it's not bad at all.
The most obvious comment to make is that it makes Valve look lazy. HL:S was just a straight port of the original game into the Source engine. They didn't try to use the new features the engine brought along.
*This* version is what Valve should have released and the fact it is a community mod just makes it more impressive. New music, rerecorded voice acting (even a few new lines) as well as making revisions to the game layout all make this a fresh take on an old favourite.

It's definitely worth a try if you liked Half Life.

Nate

FH is my second home
Yeah this is fantastic, such a long time waiting but really good effort by the devs :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
shame the official torrent doesn't fucking work...

Nate

FH is my second home
Look up, posted before about new trackers.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, just noticed. Used the direct download in the end, installing now :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
So close to finishing this - loving references to Indiana Jones, Chuckle Brothers, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Portal and loads more besides. Good fun!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Really good game, loads of extra bits. A nice trip down memory lane!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Cant you just download it off of steam :(
They got Greenlight the other day, but who knows when it will be an official release. Managed to get it through the torrent, after 4 hours on friday night. Loving it so far. Love all the little changes and the streamlining they have done. Reminds me how great the first HL was, want to replay through opposing forces and blue shift after this.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
this is awesome, half life's amazing and this is even more enjoyable than my first play through :]]]]]]]]]]

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just installing now. Shame it's not the whole game.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is the whole game so far, I reckon I am about 75% through it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's everything bar the Xen level I believe.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Xen is WIP still - they are apparently redoing the whole thing so it's a far bigger thing that it was in HL1 (it was originally meant to be a very large section but ended up being cut)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Played a bit so far, still at the early stages so will hold off on a full judgement.

It's decent but unspectacular atm.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Not sure if it's just me but I'm finding it a little underwhelming tbh. Yes it's a very nice upgrade to HL and good use of the Source engine but I just feel like it's a few years too late. Game design and technology has moved on and while the HL story is still great the way it's told feels old imo.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's good (for a fan-made mod) but I'm also wondering where all these "OMFG" reviews are coming from. Jumping is infuriating, and I don't like the motion of the crowbar. It's bringing back some good memories though, if anything it's making me want to re-install Half-Life.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Jumping is that way for a reason - thank the Source engine basically for buggering it up somewhat, it's too easy. It does however feel like an afterthought, perhaps it would have been better to alter the environment rather than jump height. However I don't find it any less or more infuriating than jumping in the original.
Crowbar animation is a common niggle amongst people certainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom