Bittorrent Clients

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK peeps. Two simple ones.

1) What bittorrent client do you use - what's the best??

and

2) I already know it's gay but anyone know how best to configure ZoneAlarm with the client? ;)

Basically, I've got Azureus which seems OK but is slow as f*ck and I reckon it's down to the ZA config but as I don't know much about bittorrent stuff I thought I'd ask :)

Cheers peeps.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Azureus is great, if its slow than either you don't understand how torrents work best, or ZA is configured wrongly, I'm guessing its the latter here.

If its ZApro, goto firewall>internet zone security>custom>allow incoming tcp ports - enable it, and add 6881.

If its the free ZA, get rid of it and install the pro version as you can't do the above. Also, if your max upload speed is 12k/s, limit it to 9k/s in Azureus.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Azureus is ok but prone to crashing in my experience. I still like Yet Another Bittorrent Client (ABC).

While you're altering your firewall don't add just the one port as listed above, you'll seriously throttle potential traffic. You need to open up 6881-6889. In theory it's up to 6999 but that much isn't necessary yet. It's all TCP as well, no need to touch UDP ports.

Try Kerio Personal Firewall for a free firewall with more options.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Azureus

From 2.0.6.0 on, you can use a single port for all your torrents.
You previously had to adjust the number of ports used, opened or forwarded to the number of running torrents.
Now, only one port is necessary, no matter how many active torrents there are.

Just in case you didn't know babs :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I was talking about ABC as I said though, in the case of abc (and the majority of clients unless I'm mistaken) forwarding all the ports is necessary to get full throughput.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom said:
Azureus is great, if its slow than either you don't understand how torrents work best, or ZA is configured wrongly, I'm guessing its the latter here.

If its ZApro, goto firewall>internet zone security>custom>allow incoming tcp ports - enable it, and add 6881.

If its the free ZA, get rid of it and install the pro version as you can't do the above. Also, if your max upload speed is 12k/s, limit it to 9k/s in Azureus.

I've been recommended to change the port from 6881 as some ISP's have started throttling that port...

Anyway. Cheers for the tips people. Done all the above (apart from the clients) and it's not 'elped unfortunately. I'll do some proper diggin' eh? :)

Thx.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Was using Burst! but now I have installed ABC.
The last few downloads always were above 100kb/s. Don't know if it is because of the client but with Burst I rarely got those speeds....

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
imo ABC is the best client u can get, the speeds are always great and the interface is simple and has all you need

I run ZA Pro and it just asked me the once if i wanted to allow ABC.exe to access the net, and i think it asked if i wanted it to be accessable to externals

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
ABC here. Hardware firewall, so no help on ZoneAlarm I'm afraid.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
I use the Linux client on my Linux firewall/router, tis excellent, never had any probs and always get decent rates!

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
ABC

I have dabbled in Azureus recently and I also found it slow and there was nobody around to help me configure it so I went back to ABC

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Bitcomet 4 teh win. No problems working with Norton Firewall.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Is there any reason why I shouldn't be using the bog standard bittorrent client thingymajig? :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Many people report better rates with different software. Plus you also get different features, better file management, etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom