Question Birds singing at night

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Where I live in Manchester you never hear birds tweeting and singing at night, I do mean never in all my 35 years. For the last week though they have been at it from about midnight until 5am, it has gotten so bad now as to be distracting me from sleeping and that is how I know it is out of the ordinary because I am a light sleeper at the best of times and would have noticed it before.

Anyway, was down the pub earlier tonight for a beer and talking about it with a mate at the bar, suddenly a barmaid chips in and said the same thing has been disturbing her sleep for a few days, then the landlord piped up and said his wife had noticed it as well starting last weekend. Well we were having a good old chat about what it could be when before long half the pub (maybe a dozen people) had all confirmed that either they or someone in their own family had commented on the birds singing at night lately.

So now I am left wondering, is this some strange local phenomenon where birds that usually migrate to different areas have stopped in my local area instead of moving on.

Thoughts?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hmm i noticed a similar thing a few years ago when i lived in Hull, birds seemed to sing all night! maybe its a semi-regional anual bird orgy?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i originally attributed it to some sneaky toxic chemical splurge into the air around the Humber (which considering the smell in Hull due to the various fish, pea, and cocoa packaging/producing factories would not be suprising) but if it happens elsewhere maybe thats not it! :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
There was a huge wasp in our bedroom the night before last. A big angry fecker. A wasp! In January! They're supposed to be sleeping over winter aren't they?

Angrist

Part of the furniture
There was a huge wasp in our bedroom the night before last. A big angry fecker. A wasp! In January! They're supposed to be sleeping over winter aren't they?

I thought they were supposed to die late summer/fall. :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
evolution or just one that was imported from southern hemisphere in your banana boat? :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol@ Lamp 'a wasp! in January!' that just made me giggle, true story.

Cho I noticed that the other week the nightbirds started up again singing away. We do get it occasionally down here, I always quite like it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Cho I noticed that the other week the nightbirds started up again singing away. We do get it occasionally down here, I always quite like it.

It is nice but because I have grown up never hearing it the noise is driving me nuts even though it is a pleasant sound. Would really like to know why it has just started, even if it is hairbrained idea about the LHC fucking up the planetry gravametric field. :D

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
They don't often pipe up around here till after 4am, but by then, most 'normal' people are asleep. Normal people... :(

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Depends - Robins, nightingales , corncrakes, and nightjars all often sing at night mainly because they tend to feed at night, but if it is a well lit area, it could be just about anything.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
We get loads of Blackbirds here in the winter and they seem to be chirping away for most of the night. They only ever come here in the winter though , you never see them during the other seasons.

Himse

FH is my second home
I came in at 2:30am last night, and noticed the birds were singing loud and proud.

It confused the shit out of me. I'm glad i'm not alone!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
yep they were at it when I was coming home at 4am this morning, though twas hard to make them out above the noise of random drunk bastards comeine home from the pub!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Every night for over a week now, midnight until about 5am, getting used to the noise but loads of locals have now commented on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom