Bird flu

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
You need to differentiate between conditions (such as asthma, IBS, acne) and diseases (such as flu, tuberculosis, smallpox etc). Diseases can be "cured", and can usually be vaccinated against. These are the the things that we can give you a drug for, and it will get better, or you can get a vaccine to stop you getting it in the first place. Conditions are completely different - often they don't know what causes it in the first place, or it has a number of different causes, none of which are responsive to a "curing" treatment.

Take me as an example - I'm a medical fuck up, I have asthma, I'm allergic to lots of things, and I have a nasty condition that leaves me in a lot of pain about 80% of the time. There's no cure for any of these things, and its likely there never will be, however I can get treatment for the asthma and the allergies that makes then disappear to a negligible level.

Cancer - some people think a lot of cancer is preventable - by eating healthily, not smoking, not drinking, but there is no cure for it any more than there is a cure for asthma. There are hundreds of different types of cancers, each of which works in a different way. To "cure" the cancer you need to kill all the mutated cells, which you just cannot do without damaging healthy cells.

When people talk about curing this and preventing that and ridding the world of all diseases, conditions and cancers, they need to look at it from an emotionless, scientific point of view. Sure a lot of it is business oriented, but when it gets to the point, its all science.

Marc

FH is my second home
Scare mongering at its very best. I thought SARS was gonna kill 10 million people world wide?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Marc said:
Scare mongering at its very best. I thought SARS was gonna kill 10 million people world wide?

God messed that one up, this time he means business.

Well...if i believed in the one god most do.

Rellik

Fledgling Freddie
yeh
SARS sure killed those 10 millions of people like they said it whould! :m00:

this bird flu is just BS that they are trying scare the village morons into believing

Marc

FH is my second home
Whats the betting the chairman of the WHO is the main shareholder of the swiss company that makes tamiflu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom