Bird flu

Transvision

Fledgling Freddie
What is the coverage that this subject is getting in the rest of europe?
in the uk you cant turn your tv on without some so called expert scareing the living shit out of us telling us millions will die :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I suppose they have to think in 'worst case scenarios' because if they don't and it does happen then the scum of the Earth (lawyers) will descend on them like a ton of bricks.

It's a steamin frekin joke 60 people out of 2billion have died, the ordinary flu has as much chance of mutating into a killer virus as this new strain of bird flu, fooking mumps 'COULD ' mutate tomorrow into a worldwide killer, the bacteria in your gut could mutate tomorrow and kill us all.

Killer flus have been bad in the past because of the general poor state of health and hygiene, modern medicine, cleanliness and population health would keep any epidemic in the hundreds at the most, and all of them sick elderly or very young.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
bird flu sucks, but in all honesty i dontt hink many in the UK will die, more ex USSR and developing countrys will suffer. Yay the UK ? :)

Bonelamencer

One of Freddy's beloved
Darksword said:
bird flu sucks, but in all honesty i dontt hink many in the UK will die
100k is more then enough for destabilisating the situation and seein' only fear in ur eyes :p

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Bonelamencer said:
probably ,but birds not ppl :D

millions of birds die every day already... for our stomachs! (well not mine but you get the idea) :p

Jjuraa

Banned
think Maddox puts it best

Maddox said:
]If you've ever wanted to go to Asia, now is the time. Ticket prices are the lowest they've been in years because of the outbreak of Irresponsible Panic Bullshit Journalism, or IPBJ throughout the media, a disease that causes the media to compensate for a lack of real news by hyping up the threat of some random virus such as SARS. Once you get SARS you have a modest 91% chance of living, that is, if you can survive such grueling symptoms as "headache, fever," and "an overall feeling of discomfort, and body aches." Look out AIDS.

Oh no, anything but "an overall feeling of discomfort." If you're one of the few people who didn't buy into all the hype about SARS, consider traveling to Hong Kong or Thailand (now that their economies have nearly been devastated by chicken shits who don't realize that 11,000+ people die from the flu every year, about 13 times the rate of SARS).

courtesy of Maddox www.maddox.xmission.com

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Normal flu kills thousands in the UK every year and you don't hear sod all about it on the news. The newspapers editors are scaremongering, claiming the government has been too slow to stockpile a cure - and there isn't even a cure as there is no such thing as bird flu in humans, so how the hell are they meant to make a cure for a virus that doesn't exist and may never exist.

it sells newspapers.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The chances of bird flu mutating are very very high and that is the main reason why the World Health Organisation and the U.N. are so worried. I wouldn't take a much of change in the virus to make it utterly contagious and lethal to the human species. The last time something this dangerous caused an epidemic many millions of people died and that was long before the modern age of international travel. Imagine a highly virualant flu strain unleashed in a major cosmopolitan area, you would have spread the virus across half the civilised world before the first case even started showing symptoms, avian flu will be exactly the same as soon as it mutates and that is only a matter of time. The problem with avian flu is that the mortality rate is very very high in people with poor immune systems or problems such as asthema. Do not underestimate the impact that avian flu could make, these days normal flu kills 1 in a 1000 but avain flu could kill 1 in 3.

Kami said:
Normal flu kills thousands in the UK every year and you don't hear sod all about it on the news. The newspapers editors are scaremongering, claiming the government has been too slow to stockpile a cure - and there isn't even a cure as there is no such thing as bird flu in humans, so how the hell are they meant to make a cure for a virus that doesn't exist and may never exist.

it sells newspapers.

that made me feel so much better... then i read..

cHodAX said:
The chances of bird flu mutating are very very high and that is the main reason why the World Health Organisation and the U.N. are so worried. I wouldn't take a much of change in the virus to make it utterly contagious and lethal to the human species. The last time something this dangerous caused an epidemic many millions of people died and that was long before the modern age of international travel. Imagine a highly virualant flu strain unleashed in a major cosmopolitan area, you would have spread the virus across half the civilised world before the first case even started showing symptoms, avian flu will be exactly the same as soon as it mutates and that is only a matter of time. The problem with avian flu is that the mortality rate is very very high in people with poor immune systems or problems such as asthema. Do not underestimate the impact that avian flu could make, these days normal flu kills 1 in a 1000 but avain flu could kill 1 in 3.

:mad: :mad:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Kami said:

it sells newspapers.

Bird (avian) flu has killed 64 worldwide so far, it does exist and has a very high mortality rate. The only thing holding it back right now is that a human can not cross infect another human, one small mutation in the virus the world will have a major epidemic on it's hand and trust me when I say that sooner or later it will happen.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
what actually caused the bird flu in the 1st place? i mean when/where was the 1st case, i'd really like to kno if it just started naturally or basauce humans were feeding stock birds shit and keeping them in over crowded pens.... tbh if thats the case then as with CJD we kinda brought it on ourselves.

Not really worried, well i am worried that it might wipe out certain species of birds but not worried about people, tbh theres so many bugs, meteor threats, terrorist threats, car crashes, falling safes/piano's that ive given up panicking about everything i hear on the news, sommits gotta get me and i'm one of these over sensitive folk that this would normally scare the life from so i have gone in to auto pilot now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ezteq said:
what actually caused the bird flu in the 1st place? i mean when/where was the 1st case, i'd really like to kno if it just started naturally or basauce humans were feeding stock birds shit and keeping them in over crowded pens.... tbh if thats the case then as with CJD we kinda brought it on ourselves.

Not really worried, well i am worried that it might wipe out certain species of birds but not worried about people, tbh theres so many bugs, meteor threats, terrorist threats, car crashes, falling safes/piano's that ive given up panicking about everything i hear on the news, sommits gotta get me and i'm one of these over sensitive folk that this would normally scare the life from so i have gone in to auto pilot now.

China seems to have been the place of origin. It is a naturally occuring strain of avian flu that has already mutated/evolved and then made the jump to humans, this is why scientists are saying it is only a matter of time before it mutates/evolves again and becomes transmitable between humans. If it ever does then we should all be worried, very very worried.

The last major flu pandemic killed an estimated 20-40 million people worldwide in 1918, many scientists believe that this virus is more deadly and in the modern age where you can circle the globe in a couple of days on airplanes this virus could spread like wildfire before we even know we have a problem.

As of this morning the BBC are reporting that a dead bird was found in the River Danube, after testing it was found to have died from the strain of avian flu that is leathal to humans. First Turkey and now Romania, this is spreading westwards very slowly and will eventually hit Central Europe so the least that will happen is that alot of birds could die and perhaps a few people who work with birds. Personally I don't even want to imagine a worst case senario, we aren't talking end of the world or anything daft like that but alot of vunerable people such the elderly and severe astmatics could be in trouble. :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
To get things in perspective the 1918 pandemic killed 50 million people , the 1968 Hong Kong flu killed 34,000, annually the ordinary flu kills 30-40,000 people in the States

Do you know anyone who died of the Flu?

We have vastly reduced the impact of Influenze with hygiene ,antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infection, which is what usually gets you, not the flu itself.

Still if it does mutate into an easily transmitable form I'll be taking a 2 week holiday in the Scottish mountains, it maynot kill me but I certainly don't want to catch it, it's going be a nasty one.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Job said:
Do you know anyone who died of the Flu?

We have vastly reduced the impact of Influenze with hygiene ,antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infection, which is what usually gets you, not the flu itself.

Still if it does mutate into an easily transmitable form I'll be taking a 2 week holiday in the Scottish mountains, it maynot kill me but I certainly don't want to catch it, it's going be a nasty one.

Yep an uncle of mine died of flu about 10 years ago, he had suffered from asthema quite badly though for a long time and his immune system wasn't in the best shape because he liked to get blitzed at the weekends. With regards to anti-biotics yes of course they will save alot of people when or if they get this leathal strain, the problem is that anti-biotics will be no where near as effective for the elderly and those in poor health. Those are the biggest groups at risk and they are the ones who will benefit least from the medication.

The British government have stated that all pensioners (aged 60+) and people with asthema or diabetes should ask thier doctor for the flu vaccine, pretty good advice in my opinion.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
as CHodAx been saying.. this CAN be very very nasty indeed. it can already be transmitted to humans as has been seen. but.. i think its good the media have gone overboard on this to get those most vulnerable some kinda protection, raise awareness of the danger, and give the drug companies a kick up arse.

reason why its being overdone in UK atm is cause of where its being found atm in europe. turkey and romania.. and we all know for a fact here that both peeps and animals are gonna get through to here thru the illegal channels.

hopefully.. HOPEFULLY.. it will be a false alarm, but surely it better to make sure just in case. if u have elderly familiy members who refuse flu jabs coz of needles and suchlike.. DRAG em to the doctors.. seriously..

better to be ready than having it hit us and say.. well why didnt...?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
tbh im quite dubious about the flu vaccine, i used to work in an old folks home and every year when they got the flu jabs we'd loose so many people from it, because with any vaccine you are giving the recipiant a small dose of the virus, so for the very very weak its just not worth it because theymight catch the virus and this would kill them but the vacine intorduces it and will definately kill them.

Not happy about it but theres nothing we can do is there?

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Hardly hits the UK, it was back in september and was quarentine from south america IE it's not spread into the UK

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Earl said:
Hardly hits the UK, it was back in september and was quarentine from south america IE it's not spread into the UK

The birds came into the UK quarantine in September, the tests to confirm cause of death were ran in the last few days. So it has hit the UK, just not how we expected i.e. from birds imported from South America and it was restricted to quarantine, still it is the first case in the UK and that is all I implied.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Kinda makes me a little nervous - I have asthma and get a lot of chest infections...
...I'd go to my doctor and ask for a flu jab, but until they know the exact strain of the flu, there's no point :(

I think bird flu is a very real threat, its just a matter of time until it mutates in a variant that is transmissable by humans. The 1918 Spanish flu pandemic was one that developed from bird flu, and thats the one that killed over 40 million people. More people died from Spanish flu than died in WW1

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
scientists say the disease does not appear to be able to spread between humans.

surprise surprise.
it's an entirely speculative 'problem'. just another way to keep the masses paralysed in fear - a la the USs 'colour coded terror alert system'
Stan Smith (American Dad): Francine you be very careful out there today, we're at terror alert orange! Which means something might go down somewhere in someway at some point in time so look sharp!

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
I'm shittin bricks 'cos I'm deeply in love for the first time in a very long time and crap always happens to me :(

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i'm sure u have all heard of the comedian Chris rock yeah? talks a lot of sense..

what was last thing we actually cured? polio.. what about the rest? aids, cancer, colds, flu etc.. drugs companies quickly realised that curing stuff doesnt give as much money as TREATING the problem.. and he's so bloody right..

its time for those companies to pull their bloody fingers out and stop the symptoms, and get the the very heart of it, and destroy these potentially lethal things.

i mean jeez.. how long has asthma been around? its all treatment yet no CURE

u see ads on TV for acne by dipshit companies who claim to cure it with cream within 2 weeks.. yet anyone who has REALLY suffered rom acne knows it takes at least 6 months of drugs from a dermatoligist to cure it. (anyone who has it btw.. simple ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist.. cant refuse u, at least not in UK)

here's another thing i seen recently, the price of a mother to children.. a mother suffering fom breast cancer.. her local health authority wouldnt give her the drug that could save her life coz it cost too much.

can u put a price on a mother living so she can bring up her kids? or is it yet another case of treatment making more money than finding the cure?

im about 99.9% sure governments in western world know cure for cancer and have it ready, but aint ready to admit it yet, coz there's too much money to be made. same with a lot of other diseases.

greed before need it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom