Binoculars for wildlife

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm going to South Africa next year and would like to get some Binoculars to see birds and wildlife. (I don't mean the human kind :eek7: )

I have no idea which sort to get as there are so many to choose from.

I have been looking at these:
Pentax 12X50 XCF Binoculars With Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They seem quite reasonable and get good reviews...
Although after reading this: Binoculars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i'm not so sure about the 50 for the diameter of the objective lens.

In daytime use the human pupil is typically dilated about 3 mm, which is about the exit pupil of a 7x21 binocular. A much larger 7x50 binocular will produce a cone of light bigger than the pupil it is entering, and this light will, in the day, be wasted. It is therefore seemingly pointless to carry around a larger instrument.

Its all very confusing.

Can anyone recommend some?
I really don't want to spend much more that £100 or is that a bit unrealistic?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I have a pair off old Pentax binoculars, around 15 years old or so that were left to me by my Granddad amongst boxes and boxes of photography/optical kit. They are pretty decent as a brand I would say. They do exactly what they say on the tin.

No idea about the different lens sizes though, I suppose a larger lens is better suited for night time use as your eyes are more dilated.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I know little about binoculars, but may I suggest you also buy a monopod - binoculars are heavy after only a minute or so.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't know much about binoculars, but when I was at The Open in Turnberry, Nikon had a stand that had their latest binoculars to try (and also rent for the day) along with a DSLR Camera stand (with a bunch of amateurs with their Coolpix masturbating each other to the tune of 'ZOMG D3x pr0 b0dy owns j00').

Tbh, I thought the optics in the Nikon binoculars were ropey. My suggestion would be to go to a large Jessops and try some out and see what they are like? My eldest sister has a pair of image stabilised binoculars and she absolutely swears by them - they might be quite expensive though.

rynnor

Rockhound
For bird watching I'd say the lightest pair of 8x50s/8x30s you could find would be about right - that will show a large enough area - anything with higher magnification becomes increasingly more difficult to actually find the thing in the binoculars field of vision which kinda renders them useless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom