News Binge Drinking Parents Fault?

rynnor

Rockhound
BBC News - Parents giving children alcohol 'fuels binge drinking'

I dont personally agree with him on a strict rule of zero alcohol below 15 - I think this tends to add to the allure and increases the risk of binge drinking in the future.

I'm not even convinced this is a health issue rather than a social one - it certainly has health implications but the social issues are much tougher to solve.

I think tackling it as a health issue is a copout tbh.

You only have to look to the continent to see how exposure to alcohol from a young age does not lead to binge drinking so its not the determining factor.

What do you lot think?

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Treating such a huge and complex social and psychological problem (question) and add only a simple conclusion is stupid. It can differ from case to case, but Id say its most of a time a combination of lots of factors, each having different value in a case to case basis.

Although, parents ALWAYS have a role when it comes to teenagers. Perhaps not the only role, but its always there...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Teach responsible drinking at an early age at home - some problems solved.

Realise you can't solve all problems.

That's about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
After smoking, the WHO's next big target is alcohol. Expect the anti-alcohol message to start to ramp up over the next few years. With added "science" :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Weak parenting is to blame for most things. I drank when I was young, a glass of wine here and there a beer every other Sunday or whatever. I am not a raging alcoholic.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I drank more in my teens at home sensibly than I ever have done as an adult. But then I'm a bit weird in that I don't like alcohol, get drunk, and drink maybe one or two alcholic drinks over the whole year.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Has this guy never been to France or other countries in continental Europe????

Where they regularly let children have a glass of wine etc with meals.

Muppet.

Community issues in the UK need looking at, as its all gone to shit in the last 20 years and thats one of the causes of all these social issues

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All this fuss over rotten fruit.

Honestly, why doesn't the government just fuckoff and leave us alone?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I drank more in my teens at home sensibly than I ever have done as an adult. But then I'm a bit weird in that I don't like alcohol, get drunk, and drink maybe one or two alcholic drinks over the whole year.

You're a whole world of anecdotal evidence that goes precisely against the "scientific" advice.

Keep it up :D

And Tom :iagree:

rynnor

Rockhound
All this fuss over rotten fruit.

Honestly, why doesn't the government just fuckoff and leave us alone?

Presumably the Government would soon reccomend a change to the law so you cant give kids alcohol? Thats sure to fix the whole problem...

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
most people i know who like to get hammered went to univesity.
a lot of people i know didnt go to university and they like to get hammered.

conclusion: alcohol to blame for binge drinking.

Syri

FH is my second home
I think that kids hanging out with their "mates" drinking cheap cider on shopping precincts and swearing at old ladies who won't buy them more cider is more the cause of binge drinking...
I'd say there's no harm in letting a child sample alcohol, as long as you, as a parent, are sure that they are going to be able to handle it, and have made them aware of the effects. If a child is exposed gradually to alcohol, and it's effects thoroughly explained and explored in a controlled environment, I'd say they'll grow up with a lot more respect for it, and a lot more control over it.
If you say "no, this is BAD, alcohol is EVIL!", they'll just rebel, and be with their mates drinking white lightning or whatever kids are into these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom