bikes!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
since moving back to the countryside i have decided i would like to see a lot more of it (rather than seeing it as a green blur in the car) so i am shopping around for a bike. now things were much simpler back when i had a bike before. so i have a few questions.

Does suspension really matter (front or back or both?)
Brakes, i remember they used to be your bog standard brake pads on the rim of your wheel, you gripped them, you stopped, are disk brakes any good, do you want them on both front and back?
gear shift types, the last bike i had used thumb levers was happy enough with them but had problems with the wire stretching and missing gears/chain falling off etc. what sort of gear system should i look for?

Cant really afford to spend a lot but would like something that is reliable and would be good for 20+ mile rides.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Suspension costs money. Don't buy a cheap bike with full suspension, because it'll be shite.

Disc brakes also cost money. They're good for riding through mud and stuff, but if its just roads you're on, rim brakes are fine.

Shimano gears are very reliable these days, even the cheapest ones won't give you any problems whatsoever.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
there are brake marks near Tom's rim all the time!

seriously though, I've heard about English mud, so disk brakes may be wise. especially if you're feeling a smidgin hard core. some will argue that disks are pretty, and others will argue that rim breaks are light. both have pros and cons really.

As Tom says, Shimano make good product lines, as does the main competitor SRAM, and at the higher levels of quality the systems are incompatible with each other, though tbh imo the low level Shimano "deore" and SRAM X.7 (7? is it 7 or 5?) will suit you just fine until you discover that you may benefit from an upgrade. the higher spec products will just make you peeved when you break something at beginner levels.

I'm unaware of your budget, but for example MBUK magazine recently tested several rather good hard-tail mtbs (hard-tail = front sus only) at around the 500gbp mark. at that range you're looking at entry-level spec drive trains, or entry level mixed with a single higher spec component (often the rear derailer), entry level disks and a basic fork. For 500 squids you can get an extremely decent bike that will carry you for a good many miles imo, just don't expect the lightest exotic components ;)

Like Tom, I'd argue against getting a "cheap" full susser even if you're tempted, because the cheaper ones will be heavy and carry low-end components to cut the cost of even the basic full sus kit.

Imo: -a good sus fork is worth more than higher spec gears. "cheap" (but brand) disks, like Magura Julies, are worth more than rim brakes due to the vileness of english mud. a full set of middle level spec shifters / drivetrain is better than a low level set with one or two higher spec bits for colour.

Tilda

I made my bike. Bought a cheap shitty frame, so that chavs won't steal it, then added nice gears, breaks etc. Recon it cost me under £100

Will

/bin/su
Tom/Teedles have already answered your questions, but if you want us to recommend some two wheeled loveliness, then we'll need an idea of a budget and what you'll be using it for. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
well thanks all, that diamond back that Trem posted looks like a good deal to get me started with, i have a habit of getting bored quick so best not to spend £500+ just yet :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
My mate has bought one of those Diamond Backs today and he is picking it up tomorrow, so I will report back tomorrow night after our ride. It really is a lovely looking bike in the flesh. Iirc it had disc brake on the back and normal brake on the front and the saddle looked great.

My friend is a chunky fucker though so lets see how the bike copes with him.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Bike ride report -

The bike was great, it has disc front not back. He said the saddle was sore but he hasn't rode for years so it will be. He said the grips were good after getting used to the twisty gear change thing. He did have to buy different pedals though so he could get some clips on them, the standard ones don't have the right holes.

I know its all about how its set up but it was smooth and didn't get any slipping or fucked up gear changes, having said that mine never has in 3 years of riding, I didn't even take mine back for the service for fear of it messing up the gears.

All in all he is uber pleased with the bike and I have to say it looks lovely.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bike ride report -

The bike was great, it has disc front not back. He said the saddle was sore but he hasn't rode for years so it will be. He said the grips were good after getting used to the twisty gear change thing. He did have to buy different pedals though so he could get some clips on them, the standard ones don't have the right holes.

I know its all about how its set up but it was smooth and didn't get any slipping or fucked up gear changes, having said that mine never has in 3 years of riding, I didn't even take mine back for the service for fear of it messing up the gears.

All in all he is uber pleased with the bike and I have to say it looks lovely.

Thanks.

Will go down in the week and pick one up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom