Sex Bike advice. Yes, really :eek:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I did Tough Mudder last year which involved a lot of cardio training. I hate running, I hate the fact that my knees and ankles since have been a bit 'sensitive' meaning that basic exercise that involves uneven surface or carrying loads can be felt in my knees and ankles for too many days afterwards. I was talking to some pals and I think that the best way for me to exercise and preserve the life of my lower joints would be to get a bike and do some cycling for my cardio and also to strengthen my legs for my hillwalking without the knee / ankle ruining.

I need some advice from the resident mushroom heads @Scouse @TdC @Tom - where do I start? There's a bewildering choice out there, so let me start with basic requirements:

- I don't want to look like a bell-end / won't be wearing the skin tight lycra
- Outright speed is not important, but decent gearing is obviously desireable
- Mountain biking / crazy downhill stuff / dirt tracks / mud will not be a requirement
- I would be cycling on local cycle paths only, nicely tarmacced, possibly some road use
- Luggage carrying would be useful to put some camera bits in
- I'd use it once or twice a week, no daily commute, no rough ground
- budget? Let's start at £500-£600, but that's by no means a limit if there's something seriously worth upping the budget for.

Yeah yeah, let's have some facepalms then.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't want to look like a bell-end / won't be wearing the skin tight lycra

Cyclists wear lycra because it's the most comfortable garment for cycling full stop. You might think you look cool in jeans but after ten miles when your crotch is being rubbed red raw by your salty sweaty legs, you'll want to die. That said, there are manufacturers who make garments that are a bit less sporty, look on websites like Vulpine (expensive but good) and Rapha (very expensive but good). IIRC Levis also do some cycling trousers, or at least denim with elastic properties.

- Outright speed is not important, but decent gearing is obviously desireable

Speed comes entirely from you, the bike is a minor part of the equation. I regularly destroy other riders on dentist-type-bikes and I ride a heavy old-fashioned steel framed classic :)

- Mountain biking / crazy downhill stuff / dirt tracks / mud will not be a requirement

Good, because that's only for the gays (yeah you know who you are).

- I would be cycling on local cycle paths only, nicely tarmacced, possibly some road use

Which implies a hybrid with minimum 28mm tyre width, slick tyres (sipes don't do anything on bike tyres). Make sure it can fit mudguards, nothing is more irritating than a line of crap up your back, in your hair and shite on your lips. Also look at cyclocross bikes.

- Luggage carrying would be useful to put some camera bits in

Rear pannier, again a hybrid is good for this.

- budget? Let's start at £500-£600, but that's by no means a limit if there's something seriously worth upping the budget for.

That's fine for getting started although you'll find that the accessories will take up a lot of that budget. My advice would be to look at these websites:

road.cc
Cycling Weekly: Cycling News, Bike Reviews, Sportives & Forums

Decathlon do some very highly rated budget bikes. Boardman bikes are also well worth a shout. Look at Planet X too. Steer clear of Halfords and Evans for now. And definitely, under no circumstances, buy some bike-shaped-object (BSO) from a supermarket. The minimum you should spend on a new bicycle is £300, absolutely no less than that.

Oh and please, if you get lights, get some that are STVZO compliant (like a car headlight) so you're not dazzling anyone coming the other way. I bloody hate cyclists who blind me with shit Chinese lights. Supernova do a good front light for this, there are some German companies who do the same. Peter White cycles has a good website on lighting.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Make sure you get your seat height correct, too low is bad on your knees.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All this shit
Buy this bike and wear normal shorts*.

*make sure you get the size sort of right, but you won't go far wrong. Mate has one, it's a little heavy for top mountain biking but you can ride it *anywhere* (and I mean down Snowdon, but mainly down canal cycle paths on a daily commute) and you can learn as you go.

Simple things start somewhere. I have completely rebuilt ankles yet biking has pretty much turned everything around for me. I can't evangelise enough. If you can't do five hundred quid like I said, get a shit ill-fitting bike and have a go anyway.

Worked for me :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
nice one chum. tbh I can only advise you to get a proper sizing. that *really* makes a difference. everything else is up to you. have a look around and find out if, for example, you like drop bars, that kind of thing. your local bike shop should be happy to help you, or see if you have sneaky cyclists amoung your friends.

sounds to me that you're looking for a more adventure style road bike. that's a buzz-word that means 'a bit more robust and heavy than a real road bike'. true racers are made of tissue and spider-webs and tend to not like bags or rough use. Adventure bikes come with things like pannier holes (for luggage racks), wider tires and sometimes even disk brakes. Examples could be this or this. This might actually be right up your ally but could break your budget.

Re clothes, a decent rain jacket would be nice I guess. Check out Endura clothes. They don't break the bank and are Scots. Maybe some of their more robust shorts for summer. Some of them come with a padded liner. You may or may not want to try that out. Depends how sensitive your undercarriage is :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Mine got nicked the other day. Kept it locked out on the 1st floor balcony. The scrotes must have climbed up a drain pipe before bolt cutting through the Kryptolock.
Insurance came good and my Scott Apsect 910 just arrived :cheers:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Can whichever bike riding gayer that's stolen G's login details kindly cease and desist?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've got one of these (actually an earlier version)
Marin Fairfax SC2 IG

Good all-round hybrid, have no complaints. NB. On the lycra thing, you can get cargo pants with lycra undershorts built in, I have some Altura ones, best of both worlds.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lycra schmycra.

I just wear a pair of normal shorts and a t-shirt most of the time.

Edit: I'd still consider the MTB - you'll get more exercise in a shorter time, the ride will be plusher because of the bigger tyres and the front suspension will save your body from the worst jolts. I hate solid forks on my old man body.

Also, if you decide you want to turn left because you see an amazing photo op, you can. Safely.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh yeah. And don't make the mistake of getting a big plush seat to save your ass. You'll put your cock at risk.

You sit on a hard seat on your 'sit bones' only. Yes, your ass will hurt for the first couple of weeks but it soon gets used to it with regular use.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You can rent him by the half hour?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
No that's actually me in my tartan Lycra kit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have never understood the need for cyclists to wear Lycra. Surely properly fitting clothing is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom