BF2: SF Techy required...

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Any of you guys able to help me with a problem?

Copied below...

My problem: I can load Battlefield 2: Special Forces pretty fast but when I try connecting to a server it takes over 5 minutes for the loading bar to reach 100%. Once the bar is at 100% and it says something about "Talking to server" or similar the "Join Game" button does not appear at the bottom right of the screen. I can leave it for 15+ minutes to see if loading time takes a wee bit longer but nothing. Cannot even Alt+TAB or Task Manager out.

Here are my system specs...
Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor
2048Mb (2x1024Mb) Dual Channel DDR Memory
256Mb ATi Radeon X800 GTO
200Gb Maxtor DiamondMax10 S-ATA 8Mb Cache Hard Drive
NEC ND3550 16x+R 16x-R Dual Layer DVD Writer

I have been reading about setting 'Affinity' to 1 CPU (CPU0 or CPU1) but makes no difference. I have set everything to "Low" - no difference. Have downloaded latest Graphics and Motherboard drivers... no change...

Any Techys out there able to help? I might be doing something blindingly obvious...

My thanks in advance!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Is this the same for every server you try?

What kind of internet connection do you have?

Have you patched the game up to 1.2?

There's nothing wrong with your system specs, and the message you're getting doesn't seem to indicate any of the usual graphics problems (make sure your catalyst drivers are up to date just to be on the safe side), which makes me think its a connectivity issue.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Is this the same for every server you try?

What kind of internet connection do you have?

Have you patched the game up to 1.2?

There's nothing wrong with your system specs, and the message you're getting doesn't seem to indicate any of the usual graphics problems (make sure your catalyst drivers are up to date just to be on the safe side), which makes me think its a connectivity issue.

Its the same on any server I try
Am on Wanadoo 1MB
Patched to 1.2 but have reinstalled and tried re-downloading patch from another source, same problems. :puke:

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
SAS said:
Possible firewall problem?

Have tried dropping it and even uninstalling Firewall... no change... :eek7:

DaGaffer

And it's just SF, not vanilla BF? If so, I think you have a duff CD key (actually does SF have a CD key? I downloaded my copy).

I certainly can't see any technical reason why you should be having a problem, which just leaves the CD itself. Try using your vanilla BF CD in the drive bay, but launching an SF game.

Tilda

DaGaffer said:
And it's just SF, not vanilla BF? If so, I think you have a duff CD key (actually does SF have a CD key? I downloaded my copy).

Where from out of interest?
Is it possible to buy and DL all of BF2?

DaGaffer

Tilda said:
Where from out of interest?
Is it possible to buy and DL all of BF2?

No. You can d/l SF directly from EA, but you have to buy the full game at retail. And if you're asking about other forms of d/l naughtiness - shame on you! (And it won't work anyway unless you want to play on cracked/unranked servers).

Tilda

DaGaffer said:
No. You can d/l SF directly from EA, but you have to buy the full game at retail. And if you're asking about other forms of d/l naughtiness - shame on you! (And it won't work anyway unless you want to play on cracked/unranked servers).
No I meant legal downloads.
I found the EA dl's but its shit that I have to leave my nice warm house to get the full BF2 :(

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:

I certainly can't see any technical reason why you should be having a problem, which just leaves the CD itself. Try using your vanilla BF CD in the drive bay, but launching an SF game.

I'll try and find someone in the office with another copy, thanks for the help DaGaffer, rep for you :) :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom