BF 1.5 Patch info

C

Cdr

BF 1.5 Patch info + Newsletter

This patch is primarily a content upgrade which modifies the Japanese and US forces in the Pacific Theater. It also introduces a new map for the Pacific. This patch also includes a fix for the CD-Swapping issue introduced with 1.45.

Pacific Theater Update
New US Marine Skin
New Engineer Rifles - M1 Garand/Type 5
New Japanese APC - Type 1 "Ho-Ha"
New Japanese Scout Car - Type 95 "Black Medal"

New Map
Invasion of the Philippines
In this new conquest map for Battlefield 1942, naval warfare and infantry island invasions take center stage in a raging firefight for the Philippines Islands. The shallow water between the islands act as a barrier to the invading Japanese Destroyer, but is no problem for the fast patrol craft used by either side. In some cases, islands are so close together that infantry can wade between them.

The Invasion of the Philippines map introduces two new vehicles: the Elco 80 PT Boat for the US Marines and the Type 38 coastal craft for the Japanese. These fast patrol craft are the most heavily armed for their size in either navy packing torpedoes, machineguns and sea mines into one pint-sized warcraft. With their size, speed and manueverability they bring naval warfare into knife-fighting range. From fast naval action to beach invasions to fierce jungle combat, Invasion of the Philippines brings a new intensity to the battlefield.

Bug Fix
CD-Swapping

Impact on MODS
Following is a list of changes which might impact mods currently in development:

New Animation State - ClipEject. Allows proper reload animation for M1 Garand (which cannot be reloaded until it's empty).
New Projectile Material - Both M1 Garand and Type 5 rifle use a new material in the damage system.
New Army Skin - US Pacific Theater Army changed to US Marine.
New Armour Material - PT Boats and dinghys.

Mod Development Toolkit
There is alot of speculation as to the nature of the MDT on the community boards. Below is a little more detail on the MDT, more to follow in the upcoming weeks...

First, what's the purpose of the Mod Development Toolkit?
The MDT's primary purpose is to provide a series of powerful, easy-to-use tools for both the new and veteran Battlefield 1942 mod-maker. These tools will allow the mod-maker to build an exciting mod around the existing Battlefield 1942 game engine.

Following is a short-list of some of the content:
RFA Tools - Pretty silly not to include this in the MDT, all things considered.
Import/Export Tools - These include tools for Standard Mesh, Tree Mesh, Skin and Skeleton.
GMAX support - For those who don't have access to 3ds Max, this will be included after our open beta stage.
Animation Tool - No more worries about getting your animations working in BF1942

Edited to include info about the Mod Development Kit

C

Cdr

New Map Info

Battlefield Newsletter: SEPTEMBER 2003

Naval Warfare in the Heart of the Pacific

The Philippine Islands had the misfortune in World War II of being the closest large island chain to Japan and in the middle of major shipping lanes to the resource-rich East Indies, making them of critical strategic importance to both sides. The Japanese forces captured the Philippines in 1942 from the United States. In 1945, the US Marines returned with a massive arsenal and a directive to take back the islands, come hell or high water.

In this new conquest map for Battlefield 1942, naval warfare and infantry inland invasions take center stage in a raging firefight for six islands in the Philippines. Each side—the US and Japan—have large central islands fortified with Defguns to protect against naval assault. These main islands are not within visible range of one another, so the Scouts are going to have a chance to prove their worth.

To the north and south of each large island lie two smaller islands, each of which is also equipped with a Defgun. The water between the small islands and their neighboring large islands is too shallow for each side’s Destroyers to navigate, but would pose no problem to, say, a PT boat.

The Invasion of the Philippines map introduces two new vehicles: the American PT boat on the US side and the Type 38 coastal craft on the Japanese side. The PT boat was a sleek, fast, and well-armed wooden boat, making it a workhorse of the US Navy in both the Atlantic and Pacific Theaters. The Japanese Navy likewise relied on its Type 38 to patrol the waters of its homeland and occupied territories to provide early warning and defense against sneak attacks. These new craft will be key in determining which side will capture this vital corridor in the Pacific.

In the new Invasion of the Philippines map for Battlefield 1942, the tide of the war in the Pacific hinges on your every move. And since you're signed up for the Battlefied Newsletter, you're going to get the Philippines map for Battlefield 1942 24 hours before we post it on the official site for download.

So keep a close eye on your inbox because within the next week or so, you'll be getting an email telling you how you can download this exciting new map before we make it available on the official website

C

.Cask

Super. Decent patch and BF:V is look pretty good too. Just hope they upgrade the engine a bit for infantry combat and collsions etc.

J

Jupitus

Heya :)

I hope you guys can help with a few questions?

Is this patch released and the very latest?

Are patches cumulative or not, ie do I also need previous patches?

Anyone got a link for a download?

Anyone got a link for a DC download too?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: FFS I'm such a plank. Reading the sticky threads right now and will probably answer all my own questions in the next 5 minutes.

Sheeeez... RTFM, Jup!

C

Cdr

hehe, aye I think the sticky answers ya questions, no matter tho - no harm in asking :)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Cdr
hehe, aye I think the sticky answers ya questions, no matter tho - no harm in asking :)

:) thanks Cdr... any pitfalls I should watch out for with these patches, and are people using the version j of DC without issues, ie is that the one to go for?

C

Cdr

Overall I think the patches are generally 'safe', no major problems.

Update your main BF to 1.45 using the big 107 odd MB install (assuming you're going from a fresh install, which I think you must be :D), then put the mods in after that (DC etc).

There are extra maps that have been released by DICE / EA since BF's release, they are included in the 1.45 patch, so you dont need to download them (as they are likely to be older versions and could mess up the install).

As far as I am aware, there are also no problems with the DC install.

If you need any help, I'll be around most of the day, pop into #game.bf1942 or post on here :)

C

Cdr

1.5 Patch Delayed

Originally posted on BF42 Forums
Hi all,
On behalf of the BF-team at DICE and EA, I would like to thank everyone in the community for the excitement shown for the 1.5 patch and all that it's bringing to BF. I wish I didn't have to say this, but, I'm sorry to announce that we won't be releasing the 1.5 patch (and IoP map) this week.

We've been looking into fixes for both the lag caused by the destroyer machinegun and chat. Right now it looks like we might be able to get the destroyer MG lag fix in the 1.5 patch. But the chat lag is going to have to wait for the next patch release.

Here's the deal:

Destroyer MG lag - this only seems to happen if the player driving the destroyer is in 3rd person camera and a 2nd player climbs the ladder to the machinegun. The subsequent framerate hit could be felt by all players on the server.

Chat lag - this one is a biggie. The problem is, of course, what should take bandwidth priority? As you're all aware, BF1942 takes up large amounts of bandwidth transmitting all the information in-game. As such, we have to prioritize what information gets sent. It would not be acceptable to fix chat lag at the expense of incurring vehicle lag or related in-game experience. So, we're looking at solutions which don't impact the gameplay experience, but minimize chat lag.

So, the delay is caused by the extra testing we're doing to ensure that the destroyer lag fix doesn't impact other areas of the game. I hope everyone in the community understands the reasons for the delay. I know you are all looking forward to playing IoP this weekend, but I hope the extra time just whets your appetite that much more.
See you on the battlefield,
Jamil aka [EA] Saracen

PS: And just to reassure, the CD-swap fix is in the 1.5 patch. This means you can run BF and join any server with any retail BF1942 (original, RtR or SW) CD in the drive.

E

Embattle

Still wish they would make a official patch without the need for a CD in the drive when playing.

D

Dr_Weasel

I get around the having to have the cd in by ripping the CD to a disk imae with CloneCD and then mouting the disk with Daemon Tools.

Ive done this with 1942, C&C Generals and GTA3. Works a treat and improves loading times too.

C

Clowneh!

I used to do that. Then I thought, "Fuck this, I'd rather use something that's 5MB in size than something that's 700MB"

Great story huh?

E

Embattle

/Pokes Cdr with poo stick and runs

/Runs back to post comment

They really should of got the CD-Swap fix out of the door quick and also should of fixed the Chat lag issue ages ago.

C

Cdr

Aye, the problem is, in the past they never actually acknowledged there was an issue with text lag - at least its a step in the right direction.

C

Cdr

Battlefield : Vietnam snippit

Little bit of info that I thought you might find interesting;

In addition to improved rendered graphics, players can change up the look of their individual characters by toggling between different body and head types. All the stereotypes will be present, so whether you want to be an Arnold-esque commando or a scout sporting glasses, it's in there. All of this is configured in the main selection screen, which is different than the previous side/kit loadout screens in Battlefield 1942.

N

Neural Network

At the moment you can only play the different mods if you have the original BF1942 CD in the drive, not Road to Rome or Secret Weapons of World War II as you used to. That's hopefulle what's going to be changed back.

X

xane

The "CD Swap" bugfix is gonna be great for me, I use a CD Emulator and Secet Weapons has copy protection so I still need the CD in the drive, now I can just make do with the original CD in the Emulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom