best ww2 film ever

Cthulhu

Fledgling Freddie
The usual suspects...
Kellys Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape, Private Ryan, Das Boot

There is also an awesome Russian film called Come and See, screened on channel 4
a few times. Well worth checking out.

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
1.Das Boot

Others:
Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Enemy at the Gates

Schindler's List and The Pianist are great movies, not sure if they go under the category warmovies though.

Remember I really liked The Great Escape, and Where Eagles Dare when I saw them, but its so long ago I just don't remember them much :-\

nah, forget them all. Top Secret! is the one :)

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Where Eagles Dare or Saving Private Ryan and perhaps the Dirty Dozen.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Surprised no-ones mentioned The Dambusters;

Also like Battle of Britain, Angels One-Five, and almost all the ones people have mentioned above - with the exception of the modern shite (Pearl Harbour, and that shitty U-157 or whatever it was called).

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
did anybody see one called 'when trumphets fade' it wasn't a movie as such. It had the guy who played the downed helicopter pilot in black hawk down in the lead role.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cdr said:
Surprised no-ones mentioned The Dambusters;

Also like Battle of Britain, Angels One-Five, and almost all the ones people have mentioned above - with the exception of the modern shite (Pearl Harbour, and that shitty U-157 or whatever it was called).

I liked U571, I don't care how inaccurate it was. It was certainly more accurate than Braveheart.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta say the war movie/series I enjoyed the most is Band Of Brothers. It just has the visuals and attention to detail to keep me interested. If you have'nt seen it I suggest you buy the dvd's.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
pixie.pebr said:
Heretic! :D
There is only one submarine-movie worthy of being mentioned: Das Boot.

Jinkies! Das Boot is great.

My all time favorite would be A Bridge Too Far. No gore, though - like in "realistic".

Saving Private Ryan is good action but once again so anti-German biased that it stinks. Lots of small historical uncorrectnesses (excuse the spelling, 1:19 am here...) plus the ever so ungrateful, ratty German who betrays good ol' boy Tom Hanks in the end.

Band of Brothers clearly is my favorite. Fair and ubiased.
Well, apart from a Jagdpanther running away from a bunch of 75mm Shermans (third or fourth episode, Normandy landing).... made me laugh in a helpless kind of way.

Btw - Enemy at Gates is one of the crappiest, most unrealistic movies ever shot. FFS the way the Germans line up in the "great assault" scene is just beyond ridiculous. Stalingrad wasn't fecking Gettysburg or Waterloo.
Plus the unimaginative lovestory... as much as I appreciate Rachel Weisz as an actress (like in the Mummy) - they should have at least used an actress with a russian accent... or wait - left the stupid Pearl Harbor like love story out of the movie completely.

Bad, bad movie.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Uncle Sick said:
Plus the unimaginative lovestory... as much as I appreciate Rachel Weisz as an actress (like in the Mummy) - they should have at least used an actress with a russian accent... or wait - left the stupid Pearl Harbor like love story out of the movie completely.

Bad, bad movie.

Hate to burst your bubble on this one but in reality Vassili Zaitsev and Tanya were lovers during the siege at Stalingrad and were only seperated when she was wounded by a shell. And in actual fact she was a Russian raised in America so she spoke Russian with an American accent.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I really liked the fact that they all had well spoken english accents. I think if they had all tried to do russian accents it would have been very tacky.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Uncle Sick said:
Saving Private Ryan is good action but once again so anti-German biased that it stinks.

Can you be pro-german in a ww2 film ?

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I think he meant Unbiased, straight down the middle (or as good as). Rather then all this RAR RAR American bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom