Best western ever

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I was watching telly the other day, and saw my favourite western ever. I must have seen it 10 times before, but its still watchable. I know this genre isnt exactly fashionable these days, and neither am I its greatest fan , but I always enjoy this particular one, so I wondered what were everyone elses favourite westerns.
Mine ? Oh, The Outlaw Josey Wales :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid :)

I just adore the scene where they split from the rest of the gang on horseback to try to split up the posse chasing them, only to find the whole posse after the 2 of them... 'what's wrong with those guys???' :clap:

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
Sergio Leone's The Good,the bad and the ugly, and Once upon a time in the west still holds the throne for me :)

out of the newer films: Unforgiven, Dances with wolves, Glory and Dead man

Probably forgotten some, theres to many good movies :)

Edit: see, how could i forget Butch Cassidy... :-D

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nott said:
Sergio Leone's The Good,the bad and the ugly,

.... this was sooo close to being my choice too. Another film with some classic lines, such as 'one bastard goes in, another bastard come out' and 'he's tall, he's blonde, he smokes a cigar and he's a peeeg!' :D

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
I was watching telly the other day, and saw my favourite western ever. I must have seen it 10 times before, but its still watchable. I know this genre isnt exactly fashionable these days, and neither am I its greatest fan , but I always enjoy this particular one, so I wondered what were everyone elses favourite westerns.
Mine ? Oh, The Outlaw Josey Wales :)

throddy as ever m8 you dont dissapoint.ojw is also my fav western.who can forget the classic lines..."are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie" or
when he asks the guy in the saloon if he's a bounty hunter and when he replies "guys gotta do something for a living" he then says "dying aint much of a livin boy" absolute classic..another good un is when he's catching the ferry and that guy comes over singing the southern tune then when he gets off and he's picking the soldiers up he starts singing dixie fucking classic..

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Lonesome Dove but its a mini-series, does that count?

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Magnificent Seven

Those are my 2 favorite westerns.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
ScoobyDoo{KEA} said:
when he asks the guy in the saloon if he's a bounty hunter and when he replies "guys gotta do something for a living" he then says "dying aint much of a livin boy" ..

Heh exactly mate :D

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
and that fucking dog.absolutely the funniest thing when he spits baccy on its head and it just looks at him and snarls.hehe makes me laugh no matter how many times i see it.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Young Guns. No joke I love it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
El Dorado with John Wayne (The Duke > all) and Robert Mitchum. When I was 6 years old, I would get out of bed every Saturday at around 7:30 (christ how times have changed), go downstairs and watch this on video. Unlike most other films from that age, I can still enjoy it today. Tisn't anything wildly original, your classic sherriff vs bad guys affair, but there are a lot of great scenes and really does have everything you need in a western.

The Good the Bad and The Ugleh is good too, just drags too much early on for my liking.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
I was going to say Dances with Wolves, but my viewing choices are so similar to Toms' that I could be accused of stalking (or being his evil-twin brother).

... so I'll say 'Unforgiven'.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
heh, no joke but that was my second choice :D

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Tom is the evil twin though:eek:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Anything by John Ford. Sergio Leonnes don't really count as Westerns to me though they are fine.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes I know its meant to be my favourite but I can't pick just one :(

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Wyatt Earp
The Outlaw Josey Wales
etc
etc

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I like most mentioned here so for a bit of variety has anyone seen Silverado? It's one I keep missing - am I missing much?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Silverado is pigwank IMHFO.

I'd pick Unforgiven, Hang 'Em High and Fistful of Dollars.

edit: special mention to Richard Harris and the sun ritual in A Man Called Horse. Ouch.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
She wore a yellow ribbon is good...

The amount of westerns I've watched by simply turning on the TV and watching it from half way through astounds me, very easy to catch up with the story in a western.

Means I don't remember the names though.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Milkshake said:
She wore a yellow ribbon is good...

The amount of westerns I've watched by simply turning on the TV and watching it from half way through astounds me, very easy to catch up with the story in a western.

Means I don't remember the names though.

Happy New Year Stu! :)

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Xtro said:
Happy New Year Stu! :)

Cant think of the name. It was with Lee Marvin where he was pissed up all the time. May have been Pain your Wagon

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
You can't remember the name of your favourite ever western?

Sounds like Cat Balou btw.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Lester said:
You can't remember the name of your favourite ever western?

Sounds like Cat Balou btw.
Dunno Hate fuckin westerns anyway. White man kills Indians, Indians Come back, Last Chance Saloon and White Man heads indians off at the pass. Prett boring tbh

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Josey Wales isnt like that. Its very stylish in its way .

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Young Guns for me too im afraid. Both of em. I also like the one were Val Kilmer plays Doc Holiday but i can never remember what its called. Unforgiven is pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom