PC Master Race Best web browser - Firefox?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Chrome crashes. A lot. It also "runs out of memory". A lot.

I'd like to try something new, so is Firefox the standard go-to in lieu of Chrome?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is until they break it again.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I went back to firefox, got sick of the amount of ram google chrome sucks up.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I went back to firefox, got sick of the amount of ram google chrome sucks up.

Yeah chrome seems to be using about 10% or more ram per open tab regardless of how much ram i have on my PC..

Right now i have 4 tabs open and a massive 66% ram is occupied, the vast majority by chrome...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeah chrome seems to be using about 10% or more ram per open tab regardless of how much ram i have on my PC..

Right now i have 4 tabs open and a massive 66% ram is occupied, the vast majority by chrome...

Aye, the ram use is absurd for a browser.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Google need to harvest your usage data one way or another.

If they make money from it without you paying them then you are the product.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
They don't need 6+ gigs of my ram to harvest my usage data. Adblock for example takes up a whooping 200 MB of ram, but the biggest hogs are chrome trying to preload shit so pages and youtube videos load faster. Which is great when i'm not doing anything else but fucking annoying if i want to play a game (say mass effect andromeda) while listening to a youtube playlist..

Open chrome and a few tabs of different websites then press shift + esc to open chromes own "task manager" and you'll see exactly what's draining ram on the browser..

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Chrome will always use more memory because every tab is isolated so there's very little shared between processes. Good for certain things (e.g a crashed tab doesn't affect the whole browser) but you need lots of RAM if you open lots of tabs.

FF is my main browser these days. Firefox have done a *lot* of work over the last few years to optimize stuff so the old FF RAM HOG stories are pretty much gone. That's provable. It also seems to crash a lot less than Chrome these days (anecdotal for me). I still use Chrome for certain sites (gmail, youtube and some other media sites where FF doesn't behave as well).

One tip to reduce memory usage is don't use Ablock / Ablock Plus, switch to uBlock Origin. Same functionality but a much smaller overhead in cpu and ram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom