Best Reason to buy illegal DVD's!!!

rynnor

Rockhound
...is those damn messages at the start of legally bought DVD's!!!

That stuff drives me crazy - surely the fact that I just bought a fricking DVD means I'm not a habitual downloader but no lets spam the mug with crap he cant even skip past on the DVD.

Does anyone know any way past it???

I do have 1 tip for those DVD's that start with a menu asking you to select a language - select the most obscure language you can - it then takes you straight to an english menu and completely avoids playing the 'Thou shalt not steal' crap.

It really bugs the hell out of me - I wish DVD's would display whether they have this crap then I could avoid them :p

Starman

Part of the furniture
Some let you press menu or next chapter. If not DVDShrink the original DVD and copy it. But yes I totally agree they are totally shit and make you want to pirate more. Fair enough having them on there but at least let people SKIP the bloody things.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
.. but, you wouldn't steal a car, would you?

/runs

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Have you seen the latest TV ads? The "Knock-off Nigel" ones? I'm actually pretty anti-piracy, but this is the most gag-inducingly-clumsy bit of guilt-advertising I've ever seen. It made me want to go out and buy from my local Chinese street-corner DVD salesman.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
IT Crowd was really good last series :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Loved that IT Crowd clip :D

As an ex video shop owner I can now look at these anti piracy campaigns from the outside. Now they make me cringe and laugh but when piracy was killing my business I would of been fuming at the ads. Totally shocking but at least it looks like they are trying. Reminds me of Microsoft when XP was being replaced by Vista, that was when they made the illegal software and no update things to try and wring every last penny out of XP, now Blu-ray and HD Dvd are on the way FACT are making a *slight* bit of effort.

Jobs for the boys and all that.

Also some pirate dvds have the warning on as well :D

rynnor

Rockhound
Its so pointless tho - its like printing safe sex adverts on packets of condoms...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not as bad as old Disney DVDs (no idea if the new ones do it) that force you to watch about 5 minutes of adverts for other stuff.

I almost didn't watch Toy Story because of that (and it was rented).

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Loved that IT Crowd clip :D
As an ex video shop owner I can now look at these anti piracy campaigns from the outside. Now they make me cringe and laugh but when piracy was killing my business I would of been fuming at the ads.

This was more to do with your laziness and lack of effort :)

now Blu-ray and HD Dvd are on the way FACT are making a *slight* bit of effort.

Not sure what is meant by that but both blu-ray and HD have been cracked and copied.

Also some pirate dvds have the warning on as well :D

They leave it on to take the piss, but they have the anti-skip past feature disabled, sad fact is they are talking about adding adverts on dvds which you can't skip past. This is why I no longer go to the cinema, watching 30 minutes of ads is taking the piss.

Tom said:
Not as bad as old Disney DVDs (no idea if the new ones do it) that force you to watch about 5 minutes of adverts for other stuff.

The new ones feature disney's fast play (kids stuff does anyway) which basically kicks straight in to the movie and you have to press the menu yourself if you wan't to see the extra features.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I almost didn't watch Toy Story because of that (and it was rented).

I've given up renting DVD's, the last six I hired from blockbusters over the summer were so badly scratched they were unplayable.

I just generally wait until they are on Sky Box Office now, and watch them. I hate watching films over and over agian, so I don't see the point in buying them on DVD.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I hate watching films over and over agian, so I don't see the point in buying them on DVD.

I agree with this. I have a leet home cinema setup, but I only own about 10 DVDs. I just rent them because I don't really want to see them again.

The only DVD i watch over and over, is scene 5 from Kelly The Co..... BBC's Planet Earth :(.

rynnor

Rockhound
I agree with this. I have a leet home cinema setup, but I only own about 10 DVDs. I just rent them because I don't really want to see them again.

The only DVD i watch over and over, is scene 5 from Kelly The Co..... BBC's Planet Earth :(.

We have a massive collection of DVD's - its spiralling out of control - we had to chuck out all the cases and just put the disks into 120 DVD holders and were on the 3rd one and the bookshelves are still full of DVD's...

I blame the missus who always buys them from WHsmiths on the day they come out no matter how many times I tell her to use play :p

The kids have a pretty big collection too - spongebob squarepants anyone?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Be thankful they arnt all VHS with cases! I've seen collections like yours on vhs and its crazy. Whole walls devoted to shelving for it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I stopped buying DVDs a couple of years back when I heard about HD DVDs.

Just waiting for my telly to die, or for a big job to come in, so I can upgrade and start enjoying some HD stuff.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Just waiting for my telly to die, or for a big job to come in, so I can upgrade and start enjoying some HD stuff.

Good luck with that. The actual range of HD discs out there is pretty pathetic tbh, and with only one studio making movies for both formats (and they're likely to pick one by year end), the actual buying process is bloody irritating.

rynnor

Rockhound

Hmm - my friend whos a TV Geek says that a lot of people with HD/BluRay players continue to buy DVD's because the players scale up the picture quality close to that of HD anyway :p

I wont buy one until it becomes clear which sides going to win but my guess is Blu ray will win.

Its technologically the better option as it stores a lot more data than HD DVD and they are already looking at a next gen of Blu ray disks with even more storage.

When you do buy your new TV make sure its 1080 rather than 720.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Eventually all DVD players will be both BluRay and HD-DVD compatible. I can't see any reason this is going to be a betamax scenario.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Its technologically the better option as it stores a lot more data than HD DVD and they are already looking at a next gen of Blu ray disks with even more storage.

HD-DVD have already produced triple layer discs which hold around 80gb data altho not commerically available until early next year, they currently also feature interactive features during the movie which blu-ray doesnt, altho again this is something they are trying to incorporate in to br, so as you say, it's still too early to back a format, unless multiplayers become more affordable :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And not only 1080p, you will want a TV that supports 24fps as well.

I agree with nath, there will not be a winner to this format war.

rynnor, you may think blu-ray is better because of higher storage capacity, but hd-dvd is cheaper at the moment in terms of hardware. Toshiba are being very agressive with the pricing of their players, and this will even the playing field some what.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
HD if marketed right will win because the masses of uneducated people with the HDTV will think they need an HD player for it, how many of them own a bluray tv, :)

Most people still think buying an HDTV will make Eastenders look nicer not realising you need the HD Source.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
SD telly upscaled to HD looks awful imo. That's why my main telly is still a 33" 4:3 CRT :)

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
People seem to think Sony will win it because they are Sony. Mini disc anyone?

QUOTE]

And sony were also backing betamax during that little format war, they really have a bad record.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
SD telly upscaled to HD looks awful imo. That's why my main telly is still a 33" 4:3 CRT :)

Personally i'd disagree, it took a bit of tinkering but sd running from my v+ box via hdmi to my 37" tosh 1080p telly looks great from decent broadcasters (ITV is in general a bit worse than BBC which is superb and some of the lesser channels running mainly us tat is bad, but it was bad on a sd telly too) can't comment about much larger sizes of tv, but at 37 i can't say sd looks bad at all.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
People seem to think Sony will win it because they are Sony. Mini disc anyone?

QUOTE]

And sony were also backing betamax during that little format war, they really have a bad record.
Both of which were used for years by professionals because they were much better quality. Someone paid full whack for my minidisc player/recorder about 6 months ago on ebay!

rynnor

Rockhound
rynnor, you may think blu-ray is better because of higher storage capacity, but hd-dvd is cheaper at the moment in terms of hardware. Toshiba are being very agressive with the pricing of their players, and this will even the playing field some what.

Its not that simple tho - your leaving out a massive factor - the Playstation 3 with its inbuilt BluRay player is not only a console but also one of the better Blu ray disc players.

Once you factor in PS3 sales the race is far more unclear - I'm looking to buy one myself as I get a HD player plus a great games console all in one :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Personally i'd disagree, it took a bit of tinkering but sd running from my v+ box via hdmi to my 37" tosh 1080p telly looks great from decent broadcasters (ITV is in general a bit worse than BBC which is superb and some of the lesser channels running mainly us tat is bad, but it was bad on a sd telly too) can't comment about much larger sizes of tv, but at 37 i can't say sd looks bad at all.

Yep - I have Cable too and tho it varies from channel to channel depending on the quality of the original signal it does look a lot better than my old CRT TV - its a noticeable leap in picture quality.

Edit: Oh and DVD's played on a normal player look a lot better too - all down to the fidelity of the source I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom