Best place for legal MP3 downloads?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I presume it's iTunes, but fuck Apple bloatware - what's the best place for online legal music downloads?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
isn't amazon introducing DRM free downloads? sure I read that somewhere.

old.user4556

dunno, that's why i'm asking, i'm new to it all :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The Amazon DRM-free service isn't here yet; its due to beta during 2008, and its unclear whether it will be available outside the US at launch. Personally, I reckon recent price drops have made CDs much more attractive than paid download; I can get chart albums in Zavvi for £5-£7.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I am with Dave on this one, I won't pay the same price for a digital download as I can for a CD. Much prefer the physical media, that way I can put the music on whatever format I chose.

old.user4556

This is all great and all, but i'm looking for advice on the best place for legal downloads?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This is all great and all, but i'm looking for advice on the best place for legal downloads?

At DaGaffer'sdownloadsforBigG I'll charge you 50p a track, much cheaper than iTunes. That do you? ;)

If you insist on using one of these other inferior services then it depends on which device you expect to use for playback. There are quite a few services, but despite the bloatware accusations iTunes probably has the best catalogue and ease of use.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say iTunes if it wasn't for their shit DRM and whatever else they do..

Would always prefer a CD..

old.user4556

Ok, the reason i'm asking is that i've got my home server installed nice and wireless in my hall cupboard. I've got a 500 GB disk for it, and i'm going to use it to store all my CDs in loseless format so that I can pack them up and put them away whilst having my whole catalogue stored for ease and distribution in the home to the PS3 or whatever.

However, I don't want to buy a CD for just a song or two (i don't want every Iron Maiden album for example, just a track or so from different albums), but I want to be able to get the odd song.

I know some of you are slapping yourselves in the head because i'm not downloading them from an officially illegal peer to peer network, but you can't say that here - but in the past i've not been able to get more obscure stuff or reasonable files at a reasonable download speed that aren't shitty 128 kbps.

It would be good to log in, select a raft of songs (new and old) in 192 kbps and upward and download them at speed. I don't want to go and buy CDs of each artist just to get that odd song, but I will still buy the whole physical album if it warrants it.

old.user4556

At DaGaffer'sdownloadsforBigG I'll charge you 50p a track, much cheaper than iTunes. That do you? ;)

Tried there, I found a video of Trem pulling a goatse and I promptly terminated my sub. :eek:

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I can't help :( but just out of curiousity how much does one mp3 cost with services like this? I've never used them before.

Will

/bin/su
(i don't want every Iron Maiden album for example, just a track or so from different albums)

This is where you are going wrong. You need every Iron Maiden song. You need them now.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The first record I ever bought was The Number of the Beast. The second was Women in Uniform :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can't help :( but just out of curiousity how much does one mp3 cost with services like this? I've never used them before.

80p or so usually, though if you buy an entire album they are usually cheaper. Still not worth it when you can pick up the CD for £7-£8 from play.com and the like (imo)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
And you can re-sell the CD.

And the quality is a lot better.

And it comes with artwork.

And without DRM.

Legal mp3 downloads are a load of shite for what they offer. You know what, if Oink had had a system where you could buy what you downloaded - I'd have bought the majority of the albums I got from it. As things stand, I've bought most of them anyway.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was pissed off to find that the few albums i bought from Itunes vanished when i reformatted my PC, I would have had to have bought them again if I wanted them again. Got them back through torrents though.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I was pissed off to find that the few albums i bought from Itunes vanished when i reformatted my PC, I would have had to have bought them again if I wanted them again. Got them back through torrents though.
Are you 100% on that? Could you not just log on to itunes and get it to redownload them?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Are you 100% on that? Could you not just log on to itunes and get it to redownload them?

No, I assumed it worked like steam, once you buy them they are yours, but no :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom