Best Online Game Ever?

S

Sir Frizz

Well, not yet...

Courtesy of News0r :)

GTA3:Multi Theft Auto is a mod for Grand Theft Auto 3 for the PC that adds - at the moment - limited multiplayer capabilities to the game.

The mod is only in the early stages and so some things are still missing, however it is now possible to play the game with one other person also in the same game. From the official site:

Currently there are only 2 players supported yet

Players on foot can't be seen yet, so you can only see each other while driving in a car :)

For now, GTA3:MTA uses a so called 'previous-car method', which means that your previous car belongs to the other player.

Car-models are not working yet, so you don't see the car where the other player is driving in (you're seeing just your 'previous' car driving), but the car is tuned and drives like the car where the other player is driving in (mass, max. speed, etc.)
There has been a great clamouring in the GTA3 scene for a multiplayer component, and multiplayer is one of the most requested features both for GTA3 and GTA3: Vice City.

D

Durzel

OMG Nice!

Shame its so beta..

Why they didn't include a multiplayer aspect in GTA3 is beyond me. GTA multiplayer would, without doubt, be the best PC multiplayer game in the World evar.

Jibes aside, I bet they're having a nightmare coding multiplayer capability into it. The whole game is geared towards single player - entities appear and disappear as soon as they are in/out of the players field of vision, etc.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Durzel
Why they didn't include a multiplayer aspect in GTA3 is beyond me. GTA multiplayer would, without doubt, be the best PC multiplayer game in the World evar.

Obvious really. They can make money from GTA3 then VC then make even MORE money by releasing GTA:Multiplayer.

After that they ask for subscriptions for the GTA MMPORG :D

Why bung it all in one game when you can charge 5 times ?

D

Durzel

I wouldn't care if I/we got charged extra for multiplayer. I wish they'd just release it before 2004. :(

PS. GTA MMORPG? ...mmmm.. I need to change my underwear.

R

RandomIce

Could create some laughs that... if your previous car was a trashmaster but they were actually driving a cheeta :>

L

leggy

That incarnation sounds utter shit though.

Whats the fun if you can only see them in a car?

And with a 2 person limit.

I agree that this could be a bloody good MP game, just not in it's current form.

C

caLLous

Yes it is, but I think I prefer Mafia and I don't know why. :(

W

WPKenny

I read about them thinking about this ages ago.

Apparently the original programmers of GTA3 left the basics of multiplayer code still in the game on release. They found menu options and config details on TCP/IP stuff etc so the mod was just a matter of time. Glad to hear it's out though.

S

Summo

GTA: Vice City has been confirmed for a PC UK release on 16 May.

\o/

C

caLLous

Yeah, I know it's going to be released, it's just the annoying wait us PC'ers have been experiencing lately with game launches. I'm still waiting for Colin McRae 3, which better be around soon-ish. And IGI 2 just came out, so that gives me something to pass the time with, I guess. :(

A

adams901

The PC version of Vice City will possess enhanced features including improved graphics and sound, additional PC controls, as well as several options for players to customize the game.

D

Durzel

I disagree.

I actually think they realised how big a job it would be to make GTA multiplayer capable, especially in light of the fact it was largely a port of the PS2 version (which was ground up always meant to be single-player) and shelfed the idea early on.

If you think about it - a lot of corners probably had to be cut in the original PS2 engine to compensate for the machines relative low power (compared to a PC). That's why cars disappear as soon as they are no longer visible, etc. There is no memory or awareness of what is happening off screen.

If you were playing multiplayer, and someone smashed up a load of cars in some part of the map - you would have to know about that before you reached it, and the engine - I believe - was never designed to cope with that.

Just my 2p.

C

.cage

Originally posted by adams901
The PC version of Vice City will possess enhanced features including improved graphics and sound, additional PC controls, as well as several options for players to customize the game.

after everyone finished it 18 months previously

N

nath

But.. who cares if everyone finished it 18 months ago?

"I just got vice city, it rocks man"
"omg yuo aer teh lam! i got that ages ago.. sooooo old!"
*stab*

A

adams901

Yeah but you can laugh at them for playing an 18 month old graphically inferior version :)

S

Skyler

Am I the only person who finds GTA a bit boring? :/

L

leggy

GTA and GTA2 were average.

GTAIII and Vice City (especially) are bloody good fun.

S

Summo

Mafia has a big problem where it saves your progress at craply thought-out places, so you end up having to run through mundane parts over and over just to get to that tricky bit that you keep cocking up.

Also the fundamental problem is that 1920s cars were very slow and not much fun to drive. :/

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Summo
Also the fundamental problem is that 1920s cars were very slow and not much fun to drive. :/

bit like an MX-5 then

O

old.Fweddy

Car chases were most fun in GTA2. But a decent GTA3 multiplayer mod should be declared emperor of the world.

C

.cage

Originally posted by adams901
Yeah but you can laugh at them for playing an 18 month old graphically inferior version :)

I'll have the graphically superior version when it comes out, if not before :>

B

bodhi

The Getaway MMORPG would be the sexiest thing ever. Take heed Sony.

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by leggy
GTA and GTA2 were average.

GTAIII and Vice City (especially) are bloody good fun.

GTA > GTAIII

Users who are viewing this thread