Sex Best News Ever?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I suspect he's going to turn up on a couple of Star Trek Discovery episodes.

Or the Orville.

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I suspect he's going to turn up on a couple of Star Trek Discovery episodes.

Or the Orville.

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING.
The Orville is better star trek than star trek.

But no - it's a whole new series, probably called Picard. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Old news to you maybe :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Orville is better star trek than star trek.

But no - it's a whole new series, probably called Picard. :)
The Orville is just Trek stories being retold with some schoolboy humour thrown in

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Was he pisses on Norton.
He seems away with the fairies.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The Orville is just Trek stories being retold with some schoolboy humour thrown in
Yep. It's not even funny. But it's still absolutely the closest thing to star trek that we've got. The last episode I saw had two star trek actors in as well.

They should just give him a go at making an actual star trek series.

Was he pisses on Norton.
Words, @Job, words.

Job

Its rubbing off on me.

Job

Its not a bad effort at all tbh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Its not a bad effort at all tbh.
Remember when you were harping on about how useless education is and architecture (I think was the example) was a dead profession because a 10 year old could knock something up on their computer that was just as good? That video you posted is why the world will always need highly skilled, highly trained professionals.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I tell you what @caLLous - I'm usually supportive of fan fiction but they need to shoot their sound guy. WTF is going on with over-egging the bass so much? Fucking turn it DOWN!

Job

Remember when you were harping on about how useless education is and architecture (I think was the example) was a dead profession because a 10 year old could knock something up on their computer that was just as good? That video you posted is why the world will always need highly skilled, highly trained professionals.
Well actually that fan fiction is old school mostly and thetes nothing wrong with the cgi..its actually very good and exactly proves my point..anyone can do it ..and they are.
You DONT need highly trained professionals anymore.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's poor all round tbh @Job. And the sound guy desparately needs to go to school.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well actually that fan fiction is old school mostly and thetes nothing wrong with the cgi..its actually very good and exactly proves my point..anyone can do it ..and they are.
You DONT need highly trained professionals anymore.

The CGI for a fan production is decent but then the software available to make it is so powerful these days anyone with the time and perseverance can. That's software written by highly skilled and trained professionals on hardware designed and built by highly skilled and trained professionals using scientific theories and mathematics created by some very smart and educated professionals.

Everything else (acting, script, lighting, sound, photography) looks like it was from a school play.

Job

That..is..my..point.

Once the software is written, any idiot can bang out decent imagery, you dont need to spend 10 years studying it.
In another 5 years you will just be able to say to your desktop.
Make me a starship..no bigger, make it red, now put it in front of jupiter, now have it attacked by twenty spaceships, blue lasers.

Instant ..what you say us what you get, its just years away..at what point do you say, when computers are writing their own programs, designing themselves, that we just need to leave them to it and spend our time with big ideas.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That..is..my..point.
Not really. Words job. Actually read @Zarjazz' words:
The CGI for a fan production is decent
For a fan production.

I thought it was a bit computer graphics a-la babylon-5 timey. They had a model of the enterprise and did nothing with it. No animation etc. The amiga at-at demo had more imagination to it.

I like fan-fiction. But there's a reason why animators take a long time to learn their craft. They may start there but any worth their salt have been at it a looooong time.

You know. Studying.

Job

Thats artistic anyway, the results are opinion.
Youre argument is that it isnt good enough, well compared to the best 40 years ago its fantastic.

Job

What took a team of highly skilled artists and software experts working with dedicated hardware can now be done by a novice using a laptop.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What took a team of highly skilled artists and software experts working with dedicated hardware can now be done by a novice using a laptop.
If you want the end result to be chuff, like in that video.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Except it can't because the results look awful in comparison. Which part of that is difficult for you to grasp?

And let's not pretend that whoever made that trailer just picked up a piece of software and knocked that out without months (or probably years) of practise, be it farting about in a hobbyist kind of way or actual training. And it still looks like that.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

...To make a movie that looks like it was made 50 years ago. I’m not really seeing your point. There was very little actual animation work in that clip and it was emulating very old TV model work (flat textures, simple light sources etc.) Of course you can emulate that with cheap software nowadays, but its hardly Guardians of The Galaxy is it?

If the likes of ILM or WETA could make modern movies with a couple of self-taught nerds and a MacBook, they would, corporations like saving money, but they can’t, which is why the end credits of a summer blockbuster take 20 minutes. Every improvement in software comes with a commensurate increase in creative and technical ambition. Maybe that model will be replaced by AI (in fact I’d bet money on it), but the creative and design side still offers plenty of opportunities for us meat bags, and that is a learned skill

Job

Well yes, thats all we will be, but no one will need to know how to click around a tiresome interface.

A 5yr old will be able to design incredible graphics..the software will do all the work for you.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Well yes, thats all we will be, but no one will need to know how to click around a tiresome interface.

A 5yr old will be able to design incredible graphics..the software will do all the work for you.

Make me a video then, I'll pay you if it's Hollywood quality.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Given the tools a 5 year old will create an incredible pile of very pretty undecipherable shite that nobody but it's parents would want to even look at.

If it's working with the tools at 5 though then when that 5 year old has received an education in it's 20's it'll be a competent graphic animation artist - and we may want to look at what it can produce.

Not before then though. Because a skill needs to be learned first.

Job

No imagination not skills, you can simply make the software adjust the finished product to fit the style of the movie..or the latest trend or copy the most successful movie.
A tank, blue, with a big turret and lasers with three headed horses alongside it.
The software will just make a suitable scene, darker..lighter, faster, on Mars...no Europa.

Thats the future of cgi..in fact its the future of everything.

Of course it all teady does that to an extent..the animators arent rendering every single frame, it is doing massive amounts of computations by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom