Best 'doze music player?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
...that isn't WMP?

Rebuilt my main box, gonna sort out the musak and thought it may be time to look at alternate music players. What dya use and why? :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I use foobar2000 foobar2000. it's a bit...quirky though :) I use it because I decided to hate winamp. I already hate iTunes, and WMP is just a big no tbh.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Depends what you're after. I like library management so I like iTunes. Anything else takes you into winamp territory.

Many people warble on about Songbird: Songbird - Open Source Music Player

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Videolan for all!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
WMP is bulky and doesn't do anything you've described better in its current version than it did in version 6.4.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I need it to do with the clearest video playback than any other media player

This is the second time you've said this - what exactly are you basing it on? Because if your wmp output is better than your vlc output for example, then you are doing something wrong.

Also WMP is bloated, hence the dislike, much like people dislike itunes for being bloated.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Because if your wmp output is better than your vlc output for example, then you are doing something wrong.

What would I be doing wrong exactly?
You install program.
Run program
Load media file.

Unless there are some stupid settings you need to muck about with. But I don't want to have to keep altering settings to fine tune the playback...It must just work and WMP does just that.

I don't see that it is bloated...it starts up lightning fast, doesn't interfere with anything else I'm doing and plays files perfectly well.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Seriously Dys, WMP now compared to WMP 6.4 is bloat, plain and simple. How many cores does your current box have that your previous one didn't? :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It's a dual core but it is four years old now...
Each to their own I guess but Ive never had problems with WMP...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Use WMP myself too. As Dys says, you open music file it plays music file. fin

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nobody said there were any problems with it. It is however bulky.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Nobody said there were any problems with it. It is however bulky.

By saying its bulky you are implying that there is a problem with it.

If the problem is disk space then perhaps you need to buy another HD. They are quite cheap these days

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Now come on, WMP *is* incredibly bulky. By that I mean it has far too much going on in the background, often too much going on in the foreground and just tries to interfere too much. I've no doubt you can do stuff to make it less annoying but that doesn't change the fact that it is bloated software.

By comparison something like Media Player Classic is incredibly light. When you open a file with it, it has the video window and the bare minimum of playback controls. More advanced options are available elsewhere but it's just a very straightforward player.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Now come on, WMP *is* incredibly bulky. By that I mean it has far too much going on in the background, often too much going on in the foreground and just tries to interfere too much. I've no doubt you can do stuff to make it less annoying but that doesn't change the fact that it is bloated software.

By comparison something like Media Player Classic is incredibly light. When you open a file with it, it has the video window and the bare minimum of playback controls. More advanced options are available elsewhere but it's just a very straightforward player.

What are you talking about?? I run a video file with wmp and I get just the screen with the video on. There are no controls, nothing apart from the window its sitting in and that goes when in full screen. The stop/pause/volume controls dissapear untill you move the mouse over the screen.

Windows Media Player Classic is rubbish. I tried it the other day and it was rank. It must be one of the worst players I have ever tried...

Have you actually used the latest WMP?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
WMP really is for amateurs - mainly the sort of amateurs who can't use their phone properly I must admit. Bloaty, slow, irritating and has shit codec and playlist support. As far as listening to tunes is concerned Winamp is the way forwards - plays everything out the box and has playlist options to die for. Stick MPC on for video and you can uninstall WMP for good.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
By saying its bulky you are implying that there is a problem with it.

If the problem is disk space then perhaps you need to buy another HD. They are quite cheap these days
Don't talk shit Dys, you never have before why start now? Perhaps there's something in the thread that's infected you in some way :p

I'm not implying there's a problem with WMP and there's nothing wrong with my rig either. You wanna use WMP, that's cool. Scouse don't and I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting back to it, the key difference here is that it's a piece of piss to prove that WMP is bulkier based on the installation size alone whilst you've got no hope in hell of proving that it has the "clearest video playback".

Next you'll be telling me that video playback in winamp is awesome :p

Oh for the record, I've got the latest WMP installed.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Windows Media Player classic is nearly as powerful as VNC, but with an incredibly friendly user interface, unlike VNC.

It really is about the best all-round media player.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Windows Media Player classic is nearly as powerful as VNC, but with an incredibly friendly user interface, unlike VNC.

It really is about the best all-round media player.

You mean VLC surely, VNC is like remote desktop ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I use VLC for movie playback, it plays pretty much anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom