Best cable/sky service...

A

Ash!

NTL wins for me

As a subscriber previously to SKY and now with NTL. Its a whole world of difference. I know soem people dislike NTL because of their service but I have never had to compalin to them. Plus 1 Bill also(TV, Telephone & Broadband)

As for SKY. Yes they do have more channels but who wants to watch x amomunt of shopping channels or Thomas Cook TV. Take away all the crap like that and the premium channels are pretty much the same.

Finally when it pisses it down as it usually does for 250 of the 365 days a year in Manchester, the picture quality of Satelite was gash. So now when its raining my picture quality is unaffected through cable TV

:clap:

D

DaGaffer

NTL is generally fine (although a few people around here have had customer service moans in the past, they seem to be working hard to fix them). One thing you should check is which kind of franchise area you're in though; NTL is several networks patched together and some are worse than others; if you're in an area that's always been NTL, its fine, if you're in a former Cable & Wireless franchise things aren't quite as good (you can't always access all of the NTL services) and if you're in a former C&W and former Videotron area (e.g. West London) things are pretty grim; you can't get a cable modem, you can't get enhanced teletext, you don't get any interactive services because the network's not up to it. They've promised it will be fixed eventually but they've been saying that for 2 years now...

B

bodhi

Channels worth watching on Sky:-

Extreme Sports Channel
Sky Sports 1-3
Music Channels
Movie Channels

i think that comes to about 40 channels all in.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by Will.
Please don't make me quote prices...please.
Ok, I wont make you quote them, explain them instead.

Why does it cos more per month to rent a digital box if you _don't_ get a crappy telewest phoneline installed, than if you _do_ get a crappy telewest phoneline installed?

G

gremlin

Personally I find the shite compression used on digital cable really distracting. Go for Sky, they have oodles of bandwidth so not just lots of channels but better looking. Better interactive services, more PPVs and Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasts (box office films etc) if you get Sky+ (not to mention full TiVo-like PVR capabilities).

S

Sawtooth

I dunno whats on Sky, my wife has control of the buttons and all she watches is CSI. I think she's looking for ideas, gulp.

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Sawtooth
I dunno whats on Sky, my wife has control of the buttons and all she watches is CSI. I think she's looking for ideas, gulp.

:eek7:

You let the wife near the remote???

R

Rubber Bullets

Originally posted by gremlin
Personally I find the shite compression used on digital cable really distracting. Go for Sky, they have oodles of bandwidth so not just lots of channels but better looking. Better interactive services, more PPVs and Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasts (box office films etc) if you get Sky+ (not to mention full TiVo-like PVR capabilities).

I have never seen a cable broadcast so I don't know if satellite is better, but I sometimes find the compression on Sky is annoying.

It is particularly bad when watching certain sports, cricket, football and golf anything where the camera pans across largish areas of green. Any camera movement at all turns the pitch into a large homogenous green lump with no definition. As soon as the camera stops the detail comes back into view, I find the constant switching from 1 to the other so distracting that I tend to watch on terrestrial instead.

s

W

Will

Originally posted by MYstIC G
Ok, I wont make you quote them, explain them instead.

Why does it cos more per month to rent a digital box if you _don't_ get a crappy telewest phoneline installed, than if you _do_ get a crappy telewest phoneline installed?
*refuses to listen*

S

Summo

telewest.jpg

W

Will

I'm going to make that my work email sig. Good job, Summo.

S

stu

All digital packages are fucking shocking. God knows why but they all seem to glitch, crash and fuck up more than the old analogue ones. And NTL/Sky/Telewest will give you any range of bullshit excuses for it happening.

G

gremlin

Originally posted by schadenfreude
It is particularly bad when watching certain sports, cricket, football and golf anything where the camera pans across largish areas of green.
This is more a problem with the way MPEG works than the compression itself.

tbh

Users who are viewing this thread