best archiving software?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ive been trying to extract a 5GB file now that i archived a while ago but when im extracting it, it keeps saying "not enough disk space". ive used win rar and winace archiver and get the same issues :\

the drive has 10GB or so free, and ive tryed extacting it to a NTFS and a FAT32 partition, both with the same issue.

is there some software specifically designed for extracting files as large as this?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
It sounds like a straight forward diskspace issues tbh.

Try freeing up more space or extract to another volume. You could empty the trash and reduce the % of trash space, by default it's 10% of the volume iirc. although im not sure if this space (if empty) is counted when free space checks are made.

tris-

i tryed two partitions.

one is FAT32 and 11GB free. i then remembered FAT32 doesnt support files over 4GB.

i went to my NTFS partition, ample space (18GB) again. the software claims not enough space again :\

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Its because you extract to, say, your D-drive, but winrar keeps a temporary file on your C-drive and then moves it later. Its REALLY a silly design to be honest. You can bypass this problem by selecting another temporary file folder.

But actually this is the only problem ive found in winrar. But its a big one hehe. Also would be nice if it could delete archives on the run so you could extract even if you had low disk space.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
i went to my NTFS partition, ample space again. the software claims not enough space again :\

Bear in mind what my comp shows as free is often misleading, for a start a compressed file will require the full uncompressed amount + compressed file size + some.

You could convert the fat volume to ntfs using "CONVERT DRIVELETTER: /FS:NTFS" No need to have a fat volume rly unless u dual boot 9x or somesuch

tris-

cripsy - that didnt work :(

mojo - it claims 18GB free. id be suprised if its actually free space was less than 11 GB (size of all that you just said :))

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Well for some reason winrar doesnt always understand what you want it to do :(

Try to free up whatever space you need on your c-drive. I'll be my pants it'll work :>

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
cripsy - that didnt work :(

mojo - it claims 18GB free. id be suprised if its actually free space was less than 11 GB (size of all that you just said :))

Mmm that is odd, I have no ideas of the top of my head, on my way out, if i think of something I will post when I get back. Post the solution if you find one tho and good luck with it.

I am still leaning toward a drive space issue mind ;)

tris-

Well for some reason winrar doesnt always understand what you want it to do :(

Try to free up whatever space you need on your c-drive. I'll be my pants it'll work :>

looks like you were right. set me temp path on a massive drive but then deleted a gig or so off C and it seemed to have worked after that.

:drink:

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
and use a program like ccleaner to get rid of junk you dont need in one go!

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Its because you extract to, say, your D-drive, but winrar keeps a temporary file on your C-drive and then moves it later. Its REALLY a silly design to be honest. You can bypass this problem by selecting another temporary file folder.

But actually this is the only problem ive found in winrar. But its a big one hehe. Also would be nice if it could delete archives on the run so you could extract even if you had low disk space.

Just to followup. I asked the rarlab guys why it is this way:
---
Hello,

Thank you for suggestions.

I suppose, you use drag and drop to extract files. In such case WinRAR
has to extract files to temporary folder and then pass them to Explorer,
which copies files to destination folder. And in such situation WinRAR
does not know a name of destination folder, so it cannot unpack files
to the same disk as in the destination folder name. It is how drag and
drop implemented in Windows.

If you do not want to involve the temporary folder when extracting files
at all, you can use either "Extract To" command in WinRAR shell or
"Extract To" item in the archive context menu instead of drag and drop.
---

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom