Belgium fights copy protection

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
YaY Belgium.
They are suing the big record companies for putting copy protection onto CDs that stop us playing them on our PCs
Story on http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34695.html

Think they'll win?
Hope so, cos it is damn annoying.

Or maybe you think the record industry is right to protect their income this way?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Dunno tbh, I've avoided every cd that has a label about copy protection on the front thanks to some stories about them being unplayable on your PC.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Munkey said:
Dunno tbh, I've avoided every cd that has a label about copy protection on the front thanks to some stories about them being unplayable on your PC.

'tis true - PCs get stuck just reading the data section of the CD, which usually gives you access to some low-bitrate (as in a third of what most people deem acceptable) versions.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
In a related story... Norway have stopped trying to sue "DVD Jon", the creator of the DeCSS util. Seems the MPAA have lost that one. Another win for the consumer
A bit of a double-whammy for him. He's also cracked the iTunes DRM :)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
The so called copy protected cds, merely have a invalid product descriptor on the audio section (so there not actually aduio cds at all cause there not red book compliant) oh and the easy way to defeat it is to create an image of the original cd using clone cd, mount that and rip it.

**DISCLAIMER : You must own the original, i am not responsible for your actions blah blah screw u riaa blah blah

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Ist a shame, why may we not play our cd in the pc? Just crap the big guys rip it anyway protection or not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom