Been away 2 years, worth coming back?

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I played daoc was in the glory days *just* before ToA hit.

Since then Iv been trough alot of other mmorpgs. But lately I have been getting the urge to
try daoc out again. However I looked into what expansions I would need
and its like 4 new ones :) and I dont even know if I have the password/codes
for my old acc, so its not gonna be cheap and I just thought Id ask here
if its realy worth giving it a shot.

Ie. Is it even possible to level up new chars without having to solo all the way these days?
How is getting groups for masterlevels etc?
In essence how long do you recon it would take to get set up for rvr from square one?

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Hello there

There are only 2 expansions you need to buy. Catacombs and Darkness Rising. All expansions released before these is free (etc. Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis). These can be bought for like 35 euro so not that bad.

Almost all normal expgroups have died - and been dead for ages, so you have to solo to 50 if you arent yet 50 - or you could find someone to powerlevel you. However with Catacombs its farely fast to solo so its not that big of a problem anymore.

With the new changes coming in patch 1.81 Mythic are making Trials of Atlantis alot easier. This means it will only take you a few days/weeks to toa a character fully depending how dedicated you are.

There is still alot of public raids going on like Master levels, farm groups and so on - so you shouldnt be worried about being left behind.

If you have forgot your password you can always retrieve them via your email on GOAs website.

Hope this answered most of your questions.

Will be good to have ya back :)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I'd restart on classic servers if you're an old school player returning - it won't take you ages to get your toons ready for RvR, and more importantly, you don't need a buffbot.

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Naetha said:
Personally I'd restart on classic servers if you're an old school player returning - it won't take you ages to get your toons ready for RvR, and more importantly, you don't need a buffbot.

With 1.81 it will be faster to TOA a char than do 1-50 + equipment on classic. Besides you dont need a BB to play on normal servers. Atleast I dont and I get along just fine.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:

Seconded..

If you don't have a buffbot on none classic servers you need to beg for buffs permantly.

Not only that but it should actually be possible to find people to group up with on the 1-50 road on the classic servers. Groups won't fall out of the sky, but there's normally one or 2 around in the TD's if your playing a group friendly class during peak hours.

If you really believe after 1.81 it's going to be faster to TOA a char than it is to equip one on classic your very wrong. You can get arti's faster but you still need to grind though the ML's and anything that isn't an arti is going to cost more plats than you'll ever of seen before in your life. You'll be able to get a bad TOA template easily, but a good one will be costly! You can get a bad classic template in no time at all, and a good one should only take a few days.

Probably the biggest reason for going classic is that once you hit 50 you'll be able to find opponents that arn't all rr8+ tho.. even the bad casual players on the cluster have rr5+ chars, and it's not fun running out at rr1 to be insta gibbed by everyone you meet.

In answer to the original question, i'd come back and give it a try. At the moment there's no better mporgs out there, and there's still lots of fun to be had!

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
id suggest u try so called classic servers (only thing they rlly dont have is toa)

u can lvl there whit grp and so on.

but if u have a good guild and friends in toa servers it will be easyer to get redy for rvr.

true about the mls. they will take a while to get.

and u DONT need a bb to play toa servers... dont play a fkning stealther or solo class (exept vampiir ofc, if ur hib).

i have alot of friends who dont have a bb and they are doing very good.

but "classic" servers are fun. no OP ml abils to win fights and so on. id say go there.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
cemi0 said:
With 1.81 it will be faster to TOA a char than do 1-50 + equipment on classic.

Seconded.

About time the TOA whine stopped it's getting old especially since 1.81 is completely "fixing" it.

Jebelious

Fledgling Freddie
i wouldnt start on classic, take full advantage of the full game with all the benefits of all the addons etc!

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
classic is dropping in players and still will for some time. I would recomend not going classic tbh, borring in the long run. And concerning template a good classic template can take just as long as a toa template, classic just seems easy becous ppl make easymode templates with pure DS items, and no other items.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
aye go normal servers if you come back n roll an easymode sorc or smt ;)

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
cemi0 said:
With 1.81 it will be faster to TOA a char than do 1-50 + equipment on classic. Besides you dont need a BB to play on normal servers. Atleast I dont and I get along just fine.

Glastonbury/Mid, Berzerker 1-50, Cl 5, Full Template, less than 7 days. (and that's not 7 days /played (and no he was not powerlevel'd)

Prydwen/Alb, Sorcerer 1-50, (Nice) ToA Template complete minus Immolated Ring, ML 5, Just under a year. Thank fuck that's not /played.

Oh and ofc Prydwen/Alb, Cleric (Buffbot Account that you can't even fart in ToA without having) 1-50 (if you're lucky you can get him in a grp as your leech. no /level 20 cuz he's the first char on you're second account which is now costing you another £8.00 a month) a couple of weeks, give or take a few days. CL 5, ML 5 (Cuz you'll need FoP) 4 - 6 months.

or you can forget the BB and save yourself £8.00 a month while you're standing there wondering why you can't do the 21 -30 TD in that vest you're trainer gave you and that cool free armor those nice folks in camelot gave you. assuming you haven't thrown your pc out the window and you actually make it to 50 without a BB, when you farm scrolls you'll need more players. more players want your best scrolls, /random 100 ftw. hope that LS 3o3 wasn't the last one you needed to active. Not to worry. Mr. Joe Random said he'd sell it to you for 10p since you let him in your grp to help you farm scrolls.
so now you're out as CS looking like a 5 dollar hooker that's been rode hard and put away wet in your miss-color'd armor that you couldn't afford to dye cuz you spent the last of your money on that scroll but hey.....you got Gov lvl 1. only one last thing you need to do before you set out to wtfomfgpwn some noobs. type macro buffs /y can someone spare some buffs plz. aoe or otherwise!!

1.81 is gonna make getting the arti easier. still gotta spend countless hours farming the scrolls you need for a decent template. (Not the best temp).
and you go on a ML3 raid just to end up going LD on step 3.6 (example) and the raid leader is pissed off cuz it's not gone as smoothly as he thought it would. and instead of taking 3 hours he's already 5 hours into the raid so he decides not to wait for LD'ers and presses on so that when you finally get to log back on you find they're on step 3.7 and you've just waisted 5 hours :eek2:

hmmm. No i don't miss ToA. 8 lvl 50's. of those 5 were fully ToA'd, 2 had decent ToA templates and the last one was in rogs cuz i just cba anymore.

Ardas Nails

OT Photoshop King
^^ lol

just returned few days ago on the classic server, left 2 years ago because of ToA

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Jebelious said:
i wouldnt start on classic, take full advantage of the full game with all the benefits of all the addons etc!

yeah, overpowered ML abilities and overpowered artifacts coupled with overpowered classes.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Thimble said:
Glastonbury/Mid, Berzerker 1-50, Cl 5, Full Template, less than 7 days. (and that's not 7 days /played (and no he was not powerlevel'd)

Prydwen/Alb, Sorcerer 1-50, (Nice) ToA Template complete minus Immolated Ring, ML 5, Just under a year. Thank fuck that's not /played.

Oh and ofc Prydwen/Alb, Cleric (Buffbot Account that you can't even fart in ToA without having) 1-50 (if you're lucky you can get him in a grp as your leech. no /level 20 cuz he's the first char on you're second account which is now costing you another £8.00 a month) a couple of weeks, give or take a few days. CL 5, ML 5 (Cuz you'll need FoP) 4 - 6 months.

or you can forget the BB and save yourself £8.00 a month while you're standing there wondering why you can't do the 21 -30 TD in that vest you're trainer gave you and that cool free armor those nice folks in camelot gave you. assuming you haven't thrown your pc out the window and you actually make it to 50 without a BB, when you farm scrolls you'll need more players. more players want your best scrolls, /random 100 ftw. hope that LS 3o3 wasn't the last one you needed to active. Not to worry. Mr. Joe Random said he'd sell it to you for 10p since you let him in your grp to help you farm scrolls.
so now you're out as CS looking like a 5 dollar hooker that's been rode hard and put away wet in your miss-color'd armor that you couldn't afford to dye cuz you spent the last of your money on that scroll but hey.....you got Gov lvl 1. only one last thing you need to do before you set out to wtfomfgpwn some noobs. type macro buffs /y can someone spare some buffs plz. aoe or otherwise!!

1.81 is gonna make getting the arti easier. still gotta spend countless hours farming the scrolls you need for a decent template. (Not the best temp).
and you go on a ML3 raid just to end up going LD on step 3.6 (example) and the raid leader is pissed off cuz it's not gone as smoothly as he thought it would. and instead of taking 3 hours he's already 5 hours into the raid so he decides not to wait for LD'ers and presses on so that when you finally get to log back on you find they're on step 3.7 and you've just waisted 5 hours :eek2:

hmmm. No i don't miss ToA. 8 lvl 50's. of those 5 were fully ToA'd, 2 had decent ToA templates and the last one was in rogs cuz i just cba anymore.

First of all i find it hard to belive you farmed all the items you needed for a good classic template + leveled without pl in 7 days. The leveling can be done with about 1-2 days played, the DS runs takes 10 times longer, + if you want just a decent template, 10 ds items and 6 crafted just aint very good.
ToA taking a year...well i guess you never played that char then. Ofc it takes longer, as there is more items you can get, not every single template is 100% alike. Would say atleast after patch you could toa a char in 2 weeks, ofc ml takes abit longer. But artifacts and mls just makes the char more fun to play imo. It brings lots of options to the game, just seems somebody is having a hard time they actually have to press more than 2 buttons when in rvr, now they actually can get more utility on a "bad" rvr char.

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
Wazkyr said:
First of all i find it hard to belive you farmed all the items you needed for a good classic template + leveled without pl in 7 days. The leveling can be done with about 1-2 days played, the DS runs takes 10 times longer, + if you want just a decent template, 10 ds items and 6 crafted just aint very good.
ToA taking a year...well i guess you never played that char then. Ofc it takes longer, as there is more items you can get, not every single template is 100% alike. Would say atleast after patch you could toa a char in 2 weeks, ofc ml takes abit longer. But artifacts and mls just makes the char more fun to play imo. It brings lots of options to the game, just seems somebody is having a hard time they actually have to press more than 2 buttons when in rvr, now they actually can get more utility on a "bad" rvr char.
Most DS items run pretty cheap now so the 3p you've earned going from 1-50 in td's can go towards that. a good DS run takes less than an hour so even a casual player could get into 1 or 2 an evening. only need a few DS runs and even if you didn't get what you needed you can always swap other players for stuff. a good classic template isn't about how many DS items you can cram into it. there's many other drops that work really well. the opinion of who is more skilled, the classic player or toa player, is just that. an opinion. as far as ToA taking a year....nope you're right, i never played my chars they got there all by themselves :cheers:

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
thanks for all the replys.

I think I will be starting a char on the "normal" servers as the classic servers at
least the US ones from my knowledge has had a rapidly declining population after the "shiny and new" effect wore off.

But one last question before I do, how is the active population numbers on the merged excal server nowdays?

Is it still hib -> mid -> alb? or has it changed?
(I hate playing for the overpopulated side ;/)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom