Beat this!!!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
This takes the biscuit as far as i am concerned. These damn Emiratees are just out there in a league of there own.

Dubai Skyscraper With Rotating Floors

They are in a league of their own, or rather as I understand it the guy in charge certainly has an awesome vision and is responsible for commissioning all of the kick arse buildings going up, the ones that have been completed, palm islands and the other islands, indoor ski slopes, world largest malls, hotels etc etc

Mind Blowing stuff really but what's more mind blowing is that they are pulling off these "insane" & "Crazy" projects time after time after time.

I want to go to Dubai just too look at what they have built, it's just wow, the discovery chan is pretty much always showing a doc on one of Dubai's building projects atm, but i want to take a look in person, not sure the bird would be up for a building tour holiday tho. :p

tierk

Part of the furniture
Having had the pleasure of visiting Dubai i can honestly say that they are doing some of the most unreal projects you could imagine. FFS skiing in the desert?? The tallest building in the world is a must see, it gives you neck ache just looking at it.

But this rotating tower is just something else mate. As to your comment about the people in the UAE managing to do the impossible time and time again i think you have to realise something that is a true characteristic of most of the poeple in the UAE and tbh throughout the region (Gulf countries). They dont understand the meaning of the saying "It cant be done" Its simply a case of we have the money and we will make it happen.

Awesome place and awesome people to do business with.

PS> check out the nutter doing sky diving without a parachute on the same web page just a few links down from the top. I bet you any money he is a Yank!!! What a NUTTER!!!!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
It's a crazy place tbh, every time you go there you are garunteed to see something new

/jelous of Hawkwind

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
climate, weather conditions & lack of earthquakes play a role

Ezteq

Queen of OT
they certainly are ambitious, i mean this whole series of fake islands they are building and selling to the rich and fatuous...i mean famous, i suspect it has something to do with the notion that their oil will be depleated in a few years time so they are really working hard to get some exciting tourist lures put in place. good luck to em, here in the UK whenever they try to do something "visionary" it turns in to a total farce, the phrase piss up in a brewery springs to mind as do images of the millenium dome, the spinniker tower and that pace filled with really unrealistic wax works, whats it called... oh yeah the houses of parliament Oo

tierk

Part of the furniture
....... i suspect it has something to do with the notion that their oil will be depleated in a few years time so they are really working hard to get some exciting tourist lures put in place..........

Spot on. They already have a minimual amount of oil income and they have diversifed their economy over the last ten years to such a extent that they are not reliant on oil at all now for income. They also had over 20 million visitors to the UAE last year (feel free to correct me if i am wrong) and trust me its a fun place for a visit.

....... and that pace filled with really unrealistic wax works, whats it called... oh yeah the houses of parliament Oo

Ok ok this deserves a rep!!

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, how does the toilets work in these buildings exactly?
In fact, plumbing in general? Seems to me the only two possible working models of bogs would be
A) A central spine with the toilets attached, or
B) Open window, drop pantaloons, crap out of window.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
"Beat this!!!"

Hmm.

*looks in big bag of tricks*

Nah...too big...

*looks in small bag of tricks*

Aha! How about this!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
This takes the biscuit as far as i am concerned. These damn Emiratees are just out there in a league of there own.

Dubai Skyscraper With Rotating Floors

The Hydropolis is still my favourite.

http://http://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/Hydropolis/

FYI. The souk (shopping) area under the Burj Tower is already open and quite amazing inside.

The 'Ski Dubai' facility at the 'Mall of the Emirates' is great, actually taking snowboarding lessons there twice a week in preparation for a up comming holiday. Great laugh although I'm pretty crap at it. My 7 year old son is way better.

Like most Dubai'ans I think Dubai is a great place but will be even better when its finished. The shear amount of building going on is quite staggering. Everywhere you look another building or residential area is under construction.

Supposed to be over 50,000 empty apartments in Dubai. Mainly in the new Marina Zone of what is now known as Downtown Dubai. Will be interesting to see if the building rate can be sustained to the same extent if people are not moving in to the properties. Because of this many projects such as 'Dubai Land' have already been delayed by up to 2 years.

Alot of people here think the property market is about to burst slightly. With rents and sale prices doubling in 5 years the market cannot be realistically sustained. Too much pressure on employers to increase salaries.

Companies such as BP whose regional headquarters are in Dubai have informed the Sheiks that if rents are not controlled they will simply move elsewhere. It is becomming their biggest expense and the rises are simply due to greed and do not represent the actual market.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

For anyone considering getting a job here I would recommend insisting on the company paying the yearly rent. Just to give an idea on rents, the average 4 bedroom Villa in Dubai will cost between 180,000 and 300,000 depending on the area. Five years ago that would have been between 70,000-150,000. Also, schooling is also expensive at between 8,000-17,000 a term (3 terms a year). Lastly medical cover, preferably a scheme that supports use of local hospitals and clinics. Not one of the US ones like Aetna which is shite! If you cannot get a good deal for your family do not bother comming.

Salary, anything between 20-40K would be ok.

roughly 7 Dirhams = 1 GBP.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Spot on. They already have a minimual amount of oil income and they have diversifed their economy over the last ten years to such a extent that they are not reliant on oil at all now for income. They also had over 20 million visitors to the UAE last year (feel free to correct me if i am wrong) and trust me its a fun place for a visit

Oil and gas makes up less than 17% of GDP and lowering each year. According to a recent Emirates Airlines presentation they are expecting in excess of 40 million visitors by 2010. In 2006 there were 40000 hotel rooms availble, this is set to double by end of 2008.

Found this link for lots of the projects going on:

http://http://dubaiforvisitors.com/dubai-megaprojects/

Laddey

FH is my second home
Why? Why not help the third world countries with all their money!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Why? Why not help the third world countries with all their money!

They do a lot. You just do not hear about it. There is an entire zone not far from the old (now demolished) rugby ground which is stock for food and relief aid. Most of it through the Red Cresent.

Shiek Mohammed or (mohammed bin Rashid Maktoum) has given loads of money personally and through his personal charity organisation Dubai Cares. This includes a fund to provide education to over 1 million Arab children in the region. Mainly in countries like Jordan, Yemen, Palestine... The fund was started with a promised donation of 10 billion USD, the biggest in history.

The man definitely has a vision for his country long after the oil has dissapeared. The other Emirates and GCC nations all look to what he has achieved and are nearly all trying to emulate it.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Nice of him, Do you reckon if i asked i'd get some?!

Nice country, a must see!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Hmmm, how does the toilets work in these buildings exactly?
In fact, plumbing in general? Seems to me the only two possible working models of bogs would be
A) A central spine with the toilets attached, or
B) Open window, drop pantaloons, crap out of window.

it's around a central spire, they explain it later on

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Well, i got one, that was enough *grin*

Two :(

But what are the odds of a building like that appearing in the near future? Would you sit in an office that kept spinning(I know it's not like a Merry Go Round, but it moves) around, with the sun in your eyes or on your monitor, whilst working, all day long? And how would you go from one floor to another if the floors are moving?

"Sorry hun, but I'll be late for dinner again! Yeah, I'm stuck at the office 'cause me boss is spinning it about for a laugh! I'm a bit nauseous, but I'm having a jolly good time I must say love!"

:rolleyes:

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
My house spins round as it is.
All you have to do is consume a bottle of Black Lable Vodka and yours can too :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Stunning stuff, the UAE sure have thier shit together. Good luck to them I say, they have taken big risks and worked hard so I hope it pays off for them.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
they certainly are ambitious, i mean this whole series of fake islands they are building and selling to the rich and fatuous...i mean famous, i suspect it has something to do with the notion that their oil will be depleated in a few years time so they are really working hard to get some exciting tourist lures put in place. good luck to em, here in the UK whenever they try to do something "visionary" it turns in to a total farce, the phrase piss up in a brewery springs to mind as do images of the millenium dome, the spinniker tower and that pace filled with really unrealistic wax works, whats it called... oh yeah the houses of parliament Oo

fucksake,... like half our country we had to lay dry for ourselves, and what did we do with it?.. allmost nothing:p

we need some dubaiiaiaiai in holland

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom