Beans are good for you

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Hmm you know this actually makes some sense to me, about 13 years ago I effectively lived off baked beans and toast for 3 months because I was dirt poor for a little while. I lost about 20 pounds and it wasn't down to exercise either. It isn't something I have ever really given much thought to until today but there could be something in this baked bean diet lark.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Hmm you know this actually makes some sense to me, about 13 years ago I effectively lived off baked beans and toast for 3 months because I was dirt poor for a little while. I lost about 20 pounds and it wasn't down to exercise either. It isn't something I have ever really given much thought to until today but there could be something in this baked bean diet lark.

Your homeostasis will thank you for it in later life tho :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
losing weight is down to youre body getting less calories than it needs. you could lose weight eating chocolate and drinking pints of milk if you wanted.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
losing weight is down to youre body getting less calories than it needs. you could lose weight eating chocolate and drinking pints of milk if you wanted.

That isn't quite true, certain chemicals stimulate the metabolic process so you body can burn more calories than normal even at rest. Chilli and ginger for example can give a short boost to metabolic rate, there are others but there hasn't been much research done into other foodstuffs and thier effect on the metabolism.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the amount they raise it by is hardly worth it though. its just thermodyanmics in the end - energy in = energy out

example

if energy in is 5 and energy out is 6 you will lose fat
if in is 5 and out is 5 you will stay the same
if in is 5 and out is 4 you will gain

what your saying is making the body burn a bit more, so say you had ginger

in is 5 out is 6.2

then sure youve lose a bit but hardly worth it :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
the amount they raise it by is hardly worth it though. its just thermodyanmics in the end - energy in = energy out

example

if energy in is 5 and energy out is 6 you will lose fat
if in is 5 and out is 5 you will stay the same
if in is 5 and out is 4 you will gain

what your saying is making the body burn a bit more, so say you had ginger

in is 5 out is 6.2

then sure youve lose a bit but hardly worth it :)

That is why I said 'isn't quite true' and not just 'isn't true' ;)

Oh and for some of us chubbers burning an 24% extra just by eating something that raises metabolic rate is more than worth it! :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well 5 + 24% = 6.2 but those are your numbers ;)

From what I have read chilli and ginger plus other spices can boost metabolic rate anywhere from 15-30% for 30 minute to 1 hours periods.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
toast wont help you since its the carbonhydrates which are easy to digest. you only digest and consume the amount of protein you need and therefore wont gain massive weight by living of protein only (you'd die, but thats another story)

/edit

and tris - imagine that you'd lose weight simply by eating the same diet but ginger on the side? that would be quite nifty wouldnt it?

and i dont think tris means that his example with ginger is the 5 in 5 out example, but the 5 in 6 out example (so the increase is 20%)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm no dietary expert (heck, I can eat chocolate biscuits with liver pate on them), but I'm pretty sure the way to burn fat is exercise - ie burn off more than you take in. Surely..?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
I'm no dietary expert (heck, I can eat chocolate biscuits with liver pate on them), but I'm pretty sure the way to burn fat is exercise - ie burn off more than you take in. Surely..?

well your body needs a certain amount of kJ's to survive (heart beating, lungs ventilating other organs doing their stuff) so by just living you need energy. if you consume less calories than what you need to survive (or do your daily, non-exercise rounties) you will burn your fat in order to keep your energy level . fat is harder to burn so the body will rather burn the carbs you currently have in your blood. if there's no carb it takes fat - and thats how you lose weight...

god biology is a bitch in english :<

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
@ Hunt: do you reckon eating a diet of beans will burn fat off for the general population ? Or did it just work for that bloke ?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
@ Hunt: do you reckon eating a diet of beans will burn fat off for the general population ? Or did it just work for that bloke ?

dont know about baked beans, i guess they're soaked in something which probably isnt healthy. but beans are containing high amount of protein and protein will only be digested in the amount the body needs. rest will be in your stomach and rest of the intestents untill it poops out more or less. so yes, if you dont eat alot of carbs/fat on the side... this is how the Atkins diet works. the proteins will fill your stomach and the fat will give you the calories you need, its a dangerous way to eat though, i'd rather suggest to look at your current diet and think what could be changed. two 3rd of a normal human beings metabolism goes to just living and making the body work its organs etc

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm pretty sure my height to weight ratio's healthy

I'm 6'7" tall, and about 15.5 stones

Mephz

Banned
It's because beans are a low gi carb (called complex by some) meaning that it's not quickly digested and will not spike the blood and insulin(insulin
will store fats) leaving you tired like a "sugar rush" and hungry. Low GI will leave you fuller for longer because it releases energy over a period of time.

And people say, kcals in > kcals out for losing weight, it’s not that simple. If you eat sugary and starchy foods with fat, it will get stored by insulin and you won’t be burning fat. And it would be more beneficial to lose weight via eating clean foods, i.e. each meal is a low gi carb (whole-wheat pasta, basmati rice, oats etc), good fat source (nuts, omega3, olive oil, cheese, butter) and protein (fish, chicken etc).

Mephz

Banned
dont know about baked beans, i guess they're soaked in something which probably isnt healthy. but beans are containing high amount of protein and protein will only be digested in the amount the body needs. rest will be in your stomach and rest of the intestents untill it poops out more or less. so yes, if you dont eat alot of carbs/fat on the side... this is how the Atkins diet works. the proteins will fill your stomach and the fat will give you the calories you need, its a dangerous way to eat though, i'd rather suggest to look at your current diet and think what could be changed. two 3rd of a normal human beings metabolism goes to just living and making the body work its organs etc
This is completely wrong, Atkins diet works completely differently and beans don't contain hardly protein if any, there a carb source.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
ah well, not into beans nor atkins. take my statements back since they seem to be wrong!

wiki qoute
Beans were an important alternative source of protein throughout old and new world history, and still are today
i didnt say they contained only protein or that they were the main source for amino acids etc. merely that they had a high count (compared to other veggies, which i probably should of stated as well)

Mephz

Banned
ah well, not into beans nor atkins. take my statements back since they seem to be wrong!

wiki qoute

i didnt say they contained only protein or that they were the main source for amino acids etc. merely that they had a high count (compared to other veggies, which i probably should of stated as well)
Baked beans, canned, no salt added - Nutritional Information - eLook.org about the same amount of protein in 120g compared to a slice of multi-grain bread. And it isn't your bad anyway people would say it's "high in protein" if there uneducated how much protein you actually need and considering the rda is about 100g but them guidelines are about 40 years old.

Only prob with beans is that generally there is a lot of sodium added which makes me angry.

Fucking fh screwing font :flame:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I wish my local supermarket sold beans with no salt added :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Heinz baked beans 4tw. All other brand baked beans taste like badger vomit

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
If go on a low calorie diet think can be hard to get the protein u need in without totting up the cals so much, so prolly good. Depends what u mean by low calorie tho, I guess. Personally, would just have a tin of tuna now and then.

Also...fibre. Be interested what percent of cals from high fibre food gets digested, given it's undigestable. Seems obvious question, but googled it now and then and no answer. Means u can have twice as much bran flakes mebbe on ur diet. Super...

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
fibres are cellouse (spelling?) which basically is wood. is the cell wall of plants and humans does not possess the enzyme to digest it, it makes you feel full but doesnt give you energy. helps the digestion tho
please do correct me if im wrong

Mephz

Banned
Check out fibre on wiki, there's insoluble and soluble, 99% of low gi foods are high in fibre. And no maeloch that's not how it works, find your BMR and eat at about 500-100 under it. Eat the daily quantity in this order low gi carbs / protein / fats, make sure you include all 3 in each meal.

Fat doesn't make you fat, fat is good, it only becomes bad when you eat a huge carb meal with lots of fats, low gi does help a lot though. But if you’re eating sugary (not including fruit / honey etc, that’s fructose(low to med gi) and starchy carbs (high gi foods) with fats your going to get fat. People say Potatoes are good but they a no no, boiled is med gi but go for low gi sweet potatoes if at all. Best low gi foods are Oats, Seeded (low gi) and multi grain (med gi) bread, whole wheat fusili pasta, basmati and brown rice, veggies etc. White bread (highest gi) etc is very bad and won’t work on a diet.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I eat under what I'm burning and that seems about the end of it, as long as getting enuff other stuff what I need (protein, vitamins, whatever). Why is it anymore complicated than that? :)

Old law of physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. I go by that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom