Beagle 2, Life in the univerese etc...

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Beagle 2 is due to land on Christmas day and search for any signs of life (current or past) on Mars. Considering the vastness and age of the univerese is it conceivable that we are the only life in it ?? IMHO I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones. If life is found on Mars then it has fundemental repercusions for us all I suppose

If we are the only ones then I suppose my question is why ?

pixie.pebr

Fledgling Freddie
Santa lives on Mars.
Imo.

Yes, I do believe that in an infinite amount of space there is ofcourse a 100% certainty there is other life than us.

But then again, if you follow the logic of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the average population of the universe is zero.
Since you have a finite number of inhabitants in an infinite space and finite divided by infinite equals less than zero.
Then for convinience round the number down.

The universe isn't populated at all.

Exoshear

Fledgling Freddie
A billion billion billion (more billions) in one chance? :p

It is said that life did originally come from Mars on a meteorite. So it is possible that there is life on Mars, which could make that theory valid. Other than that, it could just be our Solar System which had the most incredible luck to have life which eventually brought about Freddyshouse. ;)

I for one welcome our new Martian masters!

Exoshear

Fledgling Freddie
pixie.pebr said:
But then again, if you follow the logic of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the average population of the universe is zero.
Since you have a finite number of inhabitants in an infinite space and finite divided by infinite equals less than zero.
Then for convinience round the number down.

The universe isn't populated at all.

I love that book! Still about half way through reading it, need to start reading it more. :D

Cyfr

Banned
I do believe there is other life, but not on Mars. :)
There a certain place where Earth has to be for us to live (Heat, etc I guess)
There MUST be some other planet in the same situation....

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Cyfr said:
I do believe there is other life, but not on Mars. :)
There a certain place where Earth has to be for us to live (Heat, etc I guess)
There MUST be some other planet in the same situation....

There may not be things wandering around but there maybe microscopic lifeforms which would be a mind blowing science discovery

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Discovering life off this world is probably going to be in the same league as discovering that the Earth isn't flat.

Oh, and how can you have a finite number of people in an infinate universe?

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've always liked Red Dwarf's take on this discusion. The fact that Human beings could be a disease of the universe and Earth is infected. Someday soon we're going to have to face "The Day of the Flu Shot" and we're all screwed.

Luribomb

Fledgling Freddie
I hope the 2nd one they sent will even make the landing, from what I saw on National Geographic, things dont look good.

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
I believe there is live out there, the universe is just too big for not having lifeforms on other planets. As for finding intelligent lifeforms I think we will never find them, the universe is just to big :D
Btw haven't they just found life in underwater vulcano's? that would mean that the whole idea that life can only devellop in certain orbits is wrong :p

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Our alien masters will be home from their vacation soon to anal probe us...personally I'm quite looking forward to it. :kissit:

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
Bah i think its a waste of money that is better spent elesewhere why spend millions on a space project when they are better needed on social projects etc :/

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Anul said:
Bah i think its a waste of money that is better spent elesewhere why spend millions on a space project when they are better needed on social projects etc :/

Because science innovation reduces the need for social projects.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
The universe is not infinite you fools!

It's even viable to claim, that it's alot smaller than people actually thought( but still pretty fucking big :/).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Sir Frizz said:
The universe is not infinite you fools!

It's even viable to claim, that it's alot smaller than people actually thought( but still pretty fucking big :/).

Well since most of the "information" about the size of the universe is still just pure theory...you can pretty much say anything you like.

Vasquez

Fledgling Freddie
Ash said:
If we are the only ones then I suppose my question is why ?

The odds of us being 'alone' are probably trillions and trillions to one, let's put this into perspective...

If each planet or star represents one grain of sand, there are enough planets and stars in our own galaxy to fill one olympic size swimming pool... now... there are millions and millions of known galaxies and probably millions more that we do not know about... stop and *really* think about that for a moment, it's mind boggling...

Unfortunatley, the nearest planets that could possibly harbour 'intelligent' life are hundredrs of light years away, and this means it's going to be many hundreds of years before man has the technology to travel these distances.

That doesn't mean we won't answer 'the' question in the meantime, and Beagle2 stands as the best chance man had ever had of answering that question.

All it takes is one little microbe, and the question is answered...

worMatty

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone believe that as technology gets better, our minds will be pushed past their barriers, we'll get better, and by time we've looked at everything in our solar system the technology to look into others will be in development?

That's probably gonna' be years away, but I don't care. The idea that humanity will grow and accomodate the needs for these things to happen is good, and just keeping it in mind, I don't mind not being there when it happens.

However, if events follow the Star Trek path I'll be even happier. The whole 'guy invents warp travel, and war and famine disappear in 50 years because of it' thing.

And I'll be even happier if any of this stuff features Pink Floyd :)

Vasquez

Fledgling Freddie
Anul said:

I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree…

Projects like this not only stimulate education, but create jobs & revenue for the government and spurs on national pride, how you ask...

For one, money spent on these projects get's pumped back into the private sector, therefore creating jobs (across many sectors). Space contractors (like Astrium) and many sub-contractors then turn to Universities for the skilled people they require. Of course, all the while, the government are getting revenue back (a return on their investment so to speak).

Unfortunately the government tend to see this as 'wasted' money, take for example Beagle 2... the first *real* British space project. It has gained a massive amount interest, meant work for hundreds of people and sub-contractors throughout the UK and has probably kicked started a whole new generation of people interested in studying space & science. Just look at the what Mercury, Gemini & Apollo did for the Americans to see what I mean.

Now, did the British government stump up the £28m development cost for Beagle 2, did they heck, they just about contributed half, and even then at a push. I mean, £28m to this government is a *paltry* amount of money. However, I am willing to bet they try and take ALL the credit if it succeeds.

On-top of that, and due to Beagle 2's success so far, a British company has been invited to tender for the new ESA Mars Lander\Rover... now, and this is the part that grinds me, it will cost £5m to develop a proposal and what have the British Government said so far... the money isn't there.

That is sooooooo shorted sighted it's scary... and this announced in the SAME week that George Bush came to visit and WE stumped up £5m for his security (for 3 days).

I love my country and am proud of being British (most of the time) but (for whatever reasons), when it comes to projects like this, the UK is *very* shortsighted, and always prefers the 'safer' option, never willing to take risks.

Beagle 2 could be the beginnings of bringing UK science and technology back onto the world stage, it just needs a government with enough balls to *really* do something about it.

Just my 2p's worth...

Cheers
Vasquez

Vasquez

Fledgling Freddie
worMatty said:
Anyone believe that as technology gets better, our minds will be pushed past their barriers, we'll get better

Completely, especially as it's a known fact that we only utilise a small portion of our brains true power.

Think about how far humans have evolved in the last hundred or so years (compared to before that)... and the mind boggles as to where man *could* be in another hundred or so years.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Well the universe is infinite in a way, but its all too confusing. sposidly if you leave earth and go in a straight line you would end up back at where you started or somthing like that?

Also there's meant to be 13 dimensions and we are one universe among an infinite amount of universes floating in between a 2 pulsating dimensions that when they collide create another universe... or whatever that horizion documentary said!

*Brain explodes*

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
in·fi·nite ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nf-nt)
adj.
Having no boundaries or limits.
Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance.

Mathematics.
Existing beyond or being greater than any arbitrarily large value.
Unlimited in spatial extent: a line of infinite length.
Of or relating to a set capable of being put into one-to-one correspondence with a proper subset of itself.

Delboy

One of Freddy's beloved
Aye, there was an interesting article on "Infinity Upstaged" in News Scientist. It talked about different infinities, e.g. the set of real numbers.

Real numbers between 0 and 10 is infinite, but so is the set of real numbers between 0 and 1.......so what is infinity?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its impossible to visualise infinity, in the same way as its impossible to visualise being dead with no afterlife.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Anul said:

Eww, I bet your ancestors were like - "what the hell are Ferdinand and Isabella giving money to that Columbus bloke for? Everyone knows the world's flat, and we've got more important things to spend the money on here, you know, social projects, like the Spanish inquisition."

gmloki

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
Eww, I bet your ancestors were like - "what the hell are Ferdinand and Isabella giving money to that Columbus bloke for? Everyone knows the world's flat, and we've got more important things to spend the money on here, you know, social projects, like the Spanish inquisition."

lol

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Delboy said:
Real numbers between 0 and 10 is infinite, but so is the set of real numbers between 0 and 1.......so what is infinity?
Furr said:
in·fi·nite ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nf-nt)
adj.
Having no boundaries or limits.
Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance.

I would have said infinite means something without an ending.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
I find it quite intriguing as to what Beagle 2 will find, if it even succeeds in landing (pff, the english ;)) and if there even is anything of interest on the red planet.
Can't wait to read the news on christmas day.
pixie.pebr said:
Santa lives on Mars.
Pff... you got it all wrong, Finland my boy, Finland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom