Beagle 2 is on final approach \o/\o/

C

cHodAX

The British Mars lander is almost there, touch down is Christmas day. If you have no idea what I am on about then read ......

........here

O

old.Arya

British ?

How comes it then that it is controlled form the ESOC Control Center in my city ;)

European you mean ;)

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.Arya
British ?

How comes it then that it is controlled form the ESOC Control Center in my city ;)

European you mean ;)

Nope, 'Mars Express' is a European project but one part of the payload is a solo British project 'Beagle 2'. All the work on it is British and it just hitched a lift on your nice spaceship, the orbiter will be surveying Mars which is vital work as well ;)

O

old.mattshanes

Be nice if they find any form of bacteria on that planet which could result in life being there previously or recently, we do not know yet, i don't think there is though but i do think there is somewhere out there.Seems interesting chod, i have always wondered what is beyond a blackhole o_O , space is interesting and is a great thing to learn about, maybe not to most people but i like it:)

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
i have always wondered what is beyond a blackhole o_O

Left yourself wide open for a dirty comment with that line :p

O

old.job

Splendid news, but I do think it's a bit ridiculous to harp on about finding life.

NASA sent 2 multi-billion landers there in the 70's, (the VIKINGS' no less)
VIKING
they did every experiment Beagle will do and more, there were 2 of them in different places and they lasted years not days.

Seems every time they go to Mars they act as if it's the first time.

O

old.tRoG

I've always thought that, even if there was some sort of tiny primitive (I'm talking one cell bacteria type things here) lifeform, the spacecraft would contaminate it with poop from Earth, and kill it.

Or something.

O

old.job

Yes, that's why they sterlise them with heat and radioactivity beforehand, the Russians got lots of stick for not doing this very well with theirs.

Also they crashed Gallileo into Jupiter incase it crashed on a Moon, even though the chances of any life being on the probe were very small

You know life, 'it always finds a way'

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by old.job
You know life, 'it always finds a way'

to piss you off? :D

Least its nice to know Britain has some sort of space program. Bit sad that we've diverted all our attention from space. Before it used to be 'Omg. we're going to live on the moon and fly there everday!', now nobody seems to care. The human race has found its next plaything, terrorism! 'Omg. we were going to live there but it blew up :('

C

cHodAX

Viking used equipment that was state of the art 25 years ago but it is primative compared to the test equipment onboard Beagle. Also the contamination standards back then were far far lower than those now used, anything found or not found by Viking could be directly attributed to those lower standards. Viking also sampled surface rocks but Beagle will be sampling rocks below the surface, if there is or ever was life on Mars then the proof would not be directly on the surface due to the harsh enviroment and deadly UV levels.

Viking cost tens of billions with inflation over 25 years taken into account, Beagle has cost a few million has a much higher chance of success due to a development plan that was much better thought out than Viking.

C

cHodAX

Oh and Beagle has an extended mission time of upto 700 days, not a few days.

H

hrodelbert

plus it's done by the british and not the yanks so it's obviously better

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by hrodelbert
plus it's done by the british and not the yanks so it's obviously better

<cough> indeed :D

<hides>

H

hrodelbert

i'd like to fly to mars in a shuttle with you chodipoos

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by hrodelbert
i'd like to fly to mars in a shuttle with you chodipoos

Not after 4 pints and a Vindaloo you wouldn't :p

O

old.job

True the Viking experiments weren't as sophisticated, but they were much more extensive then anything Beagle can do.

The Viking results also were ambigous, some scientists say life was found, some not, Beagle will suffer the same problems, even really positive results will be treated with skeptisism.

Only a Mars return sample will satisfy everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom