News BBC archives to be 'pay per view'

rynnor

Rockhound
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17368514

I find this perplexing - I dont mind them charging for physical media but making you pay for downloads on top of the license fee is taking the piss in my opinion.

If they want to go fully commercial and dump the license fee then fine but this nasty halfway house seems wrong.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The licence doesnt cover archival services, its expensive to serve it all.

rynnor

Rockhound
The licence doesnt cover archival services, its expensive to serve it all.

But we are already funding the BBC archives and we funded the production of the original material - how many more times do we need to pay for this stuff?

Corran

Part of the furniture
this is a permanent thing, not just watching on stream... aka buying a dvd type thing. So dont see the problem.

rynnor

Rockhound
this is a permanent thing, not just watching on stream... aka buying a dvd type thing. So dont see the problem.

Its just a 7 day thing - not a permanent copy - just like the free iplayer service.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Who cares, we have the real interweb to get it for free.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Its just a 7 day thing - not a permanent copy - just like the free iplayer service.

Mr Thompson said the plan - named Project Barcelona - would enable the purchase of programmes to own for a "relatively modest" fee.

That says to own. And it says permanent in the article too. So to me that isnt 7day thing

rynnor

Rockhound
Corran said:
That says to own. And it says permanent in the article too. So to me that isnt 7day thing

I saw a quote from the same guy comparing it to a library where the shelves are cleared once a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom