BBC 1 To Consider Ditching Neighbours

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
The fools, it's the best thing on TV! The BBC viewer ratings with drop off the scales for half an hour twice a day if ITV get their hands on it.

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2486974.ece

The Independent said:
BBC threatens to drop Neighbours after 21 years
By Anita Singh, PA Showbusiness Editor
Published: 26 April 2007

The BBC is threatening to drop daytime show Neighbours after 21 years, it said today. The Corporation is currently in the middle of negotiations to renew its contract but it has accused distributor Fremantle of making " unrealistic and greedy" demands.

The breakdown of contract talks will open the way for ITV and Five to bid for the Aussie soap.

BBC director of acquisitions George McGhee told Broadcast magazine: "If a deal is not reached in the very, very near future, we will withdraw the money and move it elsewhere.

"We've made a good offer which is about to be withdrawn."

An insider said the demands were "unrealistic and greedy".

The BBC pays about £25,000 per episode but Fremantle are reportedly seeking a rise to more than £70,000.

Neighbours is the most popular show on terrestrial daytime television, other than the BBC1 lunchtime news.

It has aired twice a day on BBC1 since 1986.

Landing the show would be a coup for ITV1, which has struggled at teatime since losing Home And Away to Five and Paul O'Grady to Channel 4.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "We hope that Neighbours will remain on the BBC but no programme is indispensable and it has to come at the right price."

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Stupid tbh

Although I would like the tv license money to be spent on Neighbours rather than crap like Any Dream Will Do or Graham Norton's contract :/

mank!

Part of the furniture
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! this mustn't happen!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Thank fuck for that tbh.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
or:

"BBC press release specially designed to increase viewers of flagging programme by creating alarm"

although personally I think its a shit programme.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i hope they dont.

now hold on there lads, put the knives down and hear me out.

its the only program on TV where you are guaranteed at least 2 hot bitches to be shown through the whole 25 minutes. that is the only reason i watch it.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
i hope they dont.

now hold on there lads, put the knives down and hear me out.

its the only program on TV where you are guaranteed at least 2 hot bitches to be shown through the whole 25 minutes. that is the only reason i watch it.

Have you never seen Hollyoaks? :<

Chilly

Balls of steel
One of the manifesto points at uni for last years NUS president election was whether or not to screen neighbours on the screens in the union bar. *****.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
But we'd lose 20% of the content of the forums if Top Gear went off.....

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Hi I'm Clarkson, everything is shit because I say so. Hear me talk about a car in such a way to make you think that I think it's brilliant... then do the hallmark "ummm well actually no" then go on to say how shit it is.

<insert 20 minute vaguely car related filler about tractors>

You know what i'd like to see? A TV version of Evo magazine, done in a stylistic fashion, testing 5 top cars back to back through the roads around Loch Lomond. Just my opinion, likes eh.

Yes I had a shit day at work.

old.user4556

I feel like taking a stand, Top Gear is stagnating and they need to do something about it before everyone stops the emperor's new clothes and realises "you know... this is actually shit".

Star in a reasonably priced car should be renamed "celebrity you don't care about plugging new shit film/book/TV show then attempt to look interested in cars whilst thrashing a chevy round an airfield"

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I feel like taking a stand, Top Gear is stagnating and they need to do something about it before everyone stops the emperor's new clothes and realises "you know... this is actually shit".

Star in a reasonably priced car should be renamed "celebrity you don't care about plugging new shit film/book/TV show then attempt to look interested in cars whilst thrashing a chevy round an airfield"

If I want to go see about the new shit car ford/fiat bring out, i will watch a boring show like Fifth Gear.

Top Gear has what I want to see, cars I can only dream about owning being abused, generally twatting about and loads of funny clips.

I don't fantise about driving the newest Ford Focus, I want the newest Ferrari/Lambraghini etc. I see Fords/fiats every single day driving past and they are dull. Once or twice I might see a decent car, like a porsche but thats once in a blue moon. Now, unless you live near a big businessman/footballer who has millions in the bank, normal people don't get to see the newest, fastest cars!

old.user4556

even fifth gear doesn't cut it, need something fresh/new/different

..imo

Thadius

Part of the furniture

..imo

Hmm, I can see what you are wanting out of a show. You want more focus on cars instead of the twatting about.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
top gear is entertaining though, which is what i want from a tv show... if i wanted lots of information i'd google it :p

and neighbours is abit odd these days, but still good :D

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

..imo

So you want top gear, but where they move the camera too quick like on an MTV show? ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I would shrivel up and die in a gibbering wreck if Neighbours went off the air.

My life would have no meaning.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I watched a bit in a shop the other day... Karl now looks like a caveman and is back with Susan?? It's been a while...

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I watched a bit in a shop the other day... Karl now looks like a caveman and is back with Susan?? It's been a while...

karl has been a bit of a player, sticking it where he can.

meanwhile susan made the stupid mistake of marrying a dieing man and taking on his 3 kids. she obviously has no cock now and cant support 2 of the kids who live with her, so she crawled back.

i dont watch it for the story btw, its just what i can gather :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ah yeah I briefly watched it when Susan was with the dying man, oh the drama. :)

Jeez, I remember Todd getting run over. Neighbours can't go from the beeb, it just can't - it's just something that's always been there. :(

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Get these shitty soaps off my fucking TV and put the money back into decent science programmes - like Horizon and Equinox - either of which haven't been on in ages and/or are utter tripe.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I hope they throw out Eastenders as well tbh its a disgrace. They have the cheek to tell us it reflects real life. Yeah sure it does if you live with your head up your A**e

leggy

Probably Scottish
I hope they throw out Eastenders as well tbh its a disgrace. They have the cheek to tell us it reflects real life. Yeah sure it does if you live with your head up your A**e

Don't know about anyone else but that pretty much sums up real life for the most part :)

They'll never ditch Eastenders anytime soon. It makes the viewing figures what they are.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Don't know about anyone else but that pretty much sums up real life for the most part :)

They'll never ditch Eastenders anytime soon. It makes the viewing figures what they are.

More people watched Top Gear than Eastenders and Neighbours pulls in around 8 million viewers, which is slightly less than Eastenders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom