Battlefield 2 and Ranked Servers

Athan

Resident Freddy
So.

1) It's next to impossible to get onto a ranked server, them almost always being full. No doubt most of the kiddies are hitting the 'play it now' icon and don't even know they could play on other servers.

2) I was lucky (?) enough to get onto a ranked server yesterday. It was even an actual EA one. I played for a few hours, even got some reward/medal/rank upgrade (something popped out from left of the minimap). However, even hours later, nothing is showing in BFHQ. I still have all zeroes on everything.

So, it seems to be a waste of time to care about the ranked stuff currently.

I do hope some servers (Jolt, hint hint) will enable Global Unlock instead at least in the interim, so we can try out the extra weapons.

The one thing I AM wondering, given some people have gained rank (the leader boards showed this) is if it affects things like command elections and weapon unlocking on ALL servers (assuming the server has requisite ports set up) .... If so then some people, by random luck (ok, some persistence too) are gaining an advantage over the less fortunate.

-Ath

Poag

m00?
the people with ranks currently are american.

and EA have said they are working too address the current lag in processing of the stats updates [its about 24 hours some are saying on some sites]

But with UK release it'll onyl get worse before it gets better.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Athan said:
So.

1) It's next to impossible to get onto a ranked server, them almost always being full. No doubt most of the kiddies are hitting the 'play it now' icon and don't even know they could play on other servers.

2) I was lucky (?) enough to get onto a ranked server yesterday. It was even an actual EA one. I played for a few hours, even got some reward/medal/rank upgrade (something popped out from left of the minimap). However, even hours later, nothing is showing in BFHQ. I still have all zeroes on everything.

So, it seems to be a waste of time to care about the ranked stuff currently.

I do hope some servers (Jolt, hint hint) will enable Global Unlock instead at least in the interim, so we can try out the extra weapons.

The one thing I AM wondering, given some people have gained rank (the leader boards showed this) is if it affects things like command elections and weapon unlocking on ALL servers (assuming the server has requisite ports set up) .... If so then some people, by random luck (ok, some persistence too) are gaining an advantage over the less fortunate.

-Ath

Unfortunately, the exclusivity deal EA have struck with MP.co.uk means that the Ranking servers that are UK based are always full. Not a lot we can do at the mo - apart from connect to European based servers....

Hopefully, EA will realise their mistake and allow other GSP to host ranked servers. A lot of UK based players are currently getting annoyed at not being able to play on ranked servers.

The Global Unlocks basically means that you're allowed to use the weapons you've unlocked on the Ranked servers. You still have to go onto the servers to unlock them first. So even if Jolt did activate it, you would still need to find a slot on the Ranked server to unlock the weapon(s) :(

As for the the actual delay on the info being updated to BFHQ, again, EA underestimated the demand for this, and is currently trying to clear a backlog of about 12 hours.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Last night my ranked play from well over 24 hours before STILL wasn't showing up. I know the community announcement said "no snapshots have been lost", but I'm starting to wonder.

As for the Global Unlock thing. I'm now in two minds as to if Jolt etc. should enable it. On the one hand at least if you've managed to get some rank you'd be able to more easily make use of it, but on the other hand the lucky ones WITH rank then have some small advantage. I know the unlockable weapons aren't supposed to be better overall, but there are things like a larger magazine shotgun amongst them.

-Ath

Embattle

FH is my second home
The lack of UK ranked servers is really fucking annoying now, esp as it seems the few EA UK(MP) servers are jammed with people at the moment...even worse they seem to be crash happy this evening all of which is made worse by the shitty in game server browser.

PS The only thing keep me going is remembering that lovely tank shell that blew up Athan's Blackhawk from some distance away :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Christ who cares about fucking ranks anyway? It was ranks that made every twat in BFV get in a heli and circle the enemys spawns endlessly.
Play the fucking game, who cares :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
The ranking system was one of those major changes throd, its not like the previous ranking systems where its just about the raw kill level.....it gives you shinny medals but more importantly eventually improve your rank and give you access to locked guns :)

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
It is preeetty satisfying getting all these ribbons and medals, makes people who sit inside and play BF2 all day feel like they've achieved something!

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
It's why I bought my own ranked server. There have been alot more popping up recently and will only continue to grow.

We are currently looking for another clan to play orginised matches with, so if you are semi-orginised and not freaking uber l33t already then drop me a pm :)

Poag

m00?
SiD said:
It's why I bought my own ranked server. There have been alot more popping up recently and will only continue to grow.

We are currently looking for another clan to play orginised matches with, so if you are semi-orginised and not freaking uber l33t already then drop me a pm :)

Pretty much what I did with the FH server, and I'm having a good laugh kicking the plane campers and people C4 there own helis...nice clean server admined with an Iron Fist! with fluffy dice :p

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
And also favouritism, when we try and log on ;)

its great, he kicks two people to allow me on, as he knows im slow on the log on ;)

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Moving Target said:
It is preeetty satisfying getting all these ribbons and medals, makes people who sit inside and play BF2 all day feel like they've achieved something!

In essence ranking up is no different to a post count on a forum, makes people who spend half their lives reading a forum feel like they have a little history and belong, great psychology and appears to work eh ;)

I liked the ranked system it gives people something to do and most of the awards are team based anyway. I agree it does encourage Rambo style tactics on publics but then who is that naive to consider public servers are anything else? Ever seen kids playing football when they all chase the ball? Public servers for the greater part are just that, always have been. I find it odd that people expect any different tbh.

When push comes to shove if you decide to play BF2 with a clan that takes it seriously enough then you will at some point have to formulate a decent plan of action. To date I have enjoyed BF2 and everything that comes with it the biggest let down at the moment is this almighty fuck up with the 1.1 patch, not good :( I mean wtf is going on? Shame, EA / Dice get a grip! :touch:

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
]AC[dRuM said:
In essence ranking up is no different to a post count on a forum, makes people who spend half their lives reading a forum feel like they have a little history and belong, great psychology and appears to work eh ;)

I liked the ranked system it gives people something to do and most of the awards are team based anyway. I agree it does encourage Rambo style tactics on publics but then who is that naive to consider public servers are anything else? Ever seen kids playing football when they all chase the ball? Public servers for the greater part are just that, always have been. I find it odd that people expect any different tbh.

When push comes to shove if you decide to play BF2 with a clan that takes it seriously enough then you will at some point have to formulate a decent plan of action. To date I have enjoyed BF2 and everything that comes with it the biggest let down at the moment is this almighty fuck up with the 1.1 patch, not good :( I mean wtf is going on? Shame, EA / Dice get a grip! :touch:

I completely agree, the 1.1patch has soured alot of people and untill the hotfix comes there is a lack of players on the 1.0 and 1.1 servers ... even ranked servers. untill it hits 8pm :)

If you are looking for a fairly decent clan for just a muck around and some friendlys and ladders/leagues (when they are implemented :/) head over to www.valour.org.uk/bf2/ and say hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom