Battle of the computer games (Round 1: Beat-Em-Ups... FIGHT!)

What is the greatest Beat-Em-Up?

• Darkstalkers (Capcom)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Dead Or Alive (Tecmo)

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Double Dragon (Taito)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • King of the Fighters (SNK)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mortal Kombat (Midway)

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Soul Edge/Calibur (Namco)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Street Fighter (Capcom)

• Streets of Rage (Sega)

• Tekken (Namco)

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Virtua Fighter (Sega)

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dantares

Fledgling Freddie
I am kinda bored, so as a spin-off to the earlier thread about the best computer game of all time I have decided to do my own version of it with a few semi-rules to it. So, here we go.

There are 10 genres and each one will have 10 games of that particular genre that have either broken new ground or are very well known games. The poll for each genre will be open for roughly 24 hours, at the end of which the game that polls the highest score will go on to the final. I apologise in advance for some of the genres may seem a little mix-and-match, but I did the best that I could.

Genre 1: Beat-em-ups

Darkstalkers - A series of games created by Capcom and much in the style of Street Fighter. Instead though of Ryu and Ken, a series of monsters (for example: vampires, mummies, werewolves) battled for the title of King/Queen of the Darkstalkers. This game led the way for the "Super" moves of the later Street Fighter games.

Dead or Alive - Created by Tecmo, Dead Or Alive was a game based on speed and lightning fast reactions. Dead Or Alive became famous for the multiple costumes of the characters. However, it gained a lot of notoriety for the tendency of the female's breasts to jiggle about.

Double Dragon - Distributed by Taito, Double Dragon is a side-scrolling beat-em-up. Set as one of two brothers you faced off against hordes of bad guys as you tried to rescue your girlfriend. While a bugged game it is still a firm favourite.

King of the Fighters - Deemed a classic by many people, this SNK game brought many new ideas in to this genre such as Desperation Moves, dodging and 3-on-3 team battles. The game combined characters from 2 of SNK's other well known games of this genre, Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury.

Mortal Kombat - Created by Midway, Mortal Kombat was designed with very simple controls but jumped to infamy due to its graphic "Fatality" moves. Later games added new finishing moves such as "Animalities", "Babalities" and "Friendships".

Soul Edge/Calibur - Created by Namco, this game was perhaps the first game to open up an open playing field. This game allowed movement in virtually any direction. Add in unique weapons with their own physics and this led to a highly popular series of games.

Street Fighter - Considered the greatest of its kind, Street Fighter has had a loyal following despite many rehashes of the same format, but as the saying goes if it isn't broke, do not fix it. Street Fighter has seen many guises in its time and has evolved from a 1-on-1 game to team battles integrating characters from Capcom's other beat-em-ups and even with their biggest rival in this genre, SNK.

Streets of Rage - Created by Sega, this game is like Double Dragon in its style, a scrolling beat-em-up. Unlike Double Dragon though each character is unique and has their own style of play. From the speed of Skate to the slow lumbering powerhouse that is Max.

Tekken - Created by Namco, Tekken was one of the first game of this genre to make the jump to 3-D. Tekken's style was to bring real life martial arts in to the game itself and has a parody of both Bruce Lee (Forrest/Marshal Law) and Jackie Chan (Lei Wulong)

Virtua Fighter - This game from Sega took a realistic approach to the beat-em-up and was the direct rival of Tekken from Namco. Starting with simplistic polygon graphics, the game quickly leapt up in style and panache and became one of the most realistic fighting games to ever be produced.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
MK 4tw

Beamfat.jpg

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
@@@ Pats Chronictank on the back and gets him beer @@@

Took me a while to figure out the fatalities (in the days before cheats came out on the same day you bought the game !) but was excellent seeing the expression on your mates' face when you rip his spine out and rub the flawless victory in !

fatality.jpg

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Lamp said:
@@@ Pats Chronictank on the back and gets him beer @@@

Took me a while to figure out the fatalities (in the days before cheats came out on the same day you bought the game !) but was excellent seeing the expression on your mates' face when you rip his spine out and rub the flawless victory in !
Exactly, you dont really want a game with endless combinations for controls when you have a few mates round and you just wana have a laugh

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Would say Mortal Kombat due to the r0xor soundtheme but Tekken is zeh winner!

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Alot of great fucking games in that list. I myself spent hundreds of pounds in the local Arcade playing SF1, SF2 and Mortal combat 1 and 2. I have voted for Street Fighter it will always have a pick up and play factor. where as If I wanted to play mortal combat I would have to look up the finishing moves.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Voting for Darkstalkers just because the spinoff hentai rocked.

The game itself wasn't bad, but theres better out there.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
streets of rage... what a fucking awesome game. When I was 9 I used to play it all day long with my cousin, all 3 of those awesome games, nothing even similar to it now days.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
darkstalkers? rofl, that thing sucked so much ass its not funny. i took it back to the shop, the guy laughed and said "you thought it was crap too eh?". that was before i even said i wanted a refund.

Ebonn

Loyal Freddie
Personally ive always had a softspot for Killer Instinct, hardly the best though.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone remember IK+? That was such an addictive game! The headbutt sound was so satisfying :D

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Tekken is the best in your list

but no mention of bushido blade on the ps1
now that was the ultimate twitchy beat em up for caffine junkies
and made you heart beat like a fat clock after a smoke too many

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Jeremiah said:
Anyone remember IK+? That was such an addictive game! The headbutt sound was so satisfying :D

Yes, if International Karate had been on the list i'd have voted for it. :D

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
crispy said:
Oh my god! My childhood beat'em'up!!! Man i loved that game so much!

What he said! Have to get hold of my old C64 soon! 8)

(voted MK)

lilmissnaughty

Fledgling Freddie
had to vote for dead or alive..
kinda hypnotic those boobs slowly pyonging up n down on the original playstation version- made me think what i would look like running if it was in slow motion:D

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Any beat em' up game whit girl whit bounching boooooobs, haha xD

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:
I much prefered soul calibur to tekken tbh.
Tekken rocked, you had so much control over your charecter, at the perfect speed.
I got blisters from playing that, when I first got my playstation :D
Well, that's just my opinion anyway ;)

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
I have to vote for street fighters... It came with a "Turbo installation" ( It said so in the readme.txt, and everytime I tried to install it, it crashed. :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I remember spending some time with a beat em up where all the fighters were robots (was a pc game), and you could upgrade your robot in between matches etc. Dont remember its name but it was good fun :) Never been much of a fighter-game person myself otherwise (or rather, never been much of a console-game person), although did like Killer Instinct.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
I remember spending some time with a beat em up where all the fighters were robots (was a pc game), and you could upgrade your robot in between matches etc. Dont remember its name but it was good fun :) Never been much of a fighter-game person myself otherwise (or rather, never been much of a console-game person), although did like Killer Instinct.

I think I know what one you are talking about? Was the music recorded by Brian "The Mullet" May? I remember some robot beat-em-up which boasted the best graphics ever but you could complete the game rather easily :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom