Barrysworld.com email addresses - Pondering the Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildwood

Fledgling Freddie
bah ive used barrys email for everything for the past couple of years, never once got spam!

going to be a pain in the ass changing all my membership details :mad:

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Cyfr said:
For what it costs all users should do this :p.. I've had NO spam whatsoever since I got my email. I could not possibly go back to hotmail and its 'Enlarge your penis' adds :)
now that you've posted the address on a public forum page, which can be crawled by spambots and suchlike, I'd await the onslaught ;)

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
I was just about to say the same thing there. That's one of the best methods to get spam, post it on a public page. :)

Cyfr

Banned
Xavier said:
now that you've posted the address on a public forum page, which can be crawled by spambots and suchlike, I'd await the onslaught ;)
Didn't seem to make any difference when I posted krypts

Although, it does when people purposly subscribe addresses to spam, not saying anyone here would be childish enough to do so.. :rolleyes:

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
I had no spam on my BW account for years, until one day where I put on a page of somesort, can't remember what now. From that point onwards I gradually received more and more advice on options for my penis enlargment and concuctions of drugs to cure my every problem.

Want an email address left alone? Don't put it anywhere online, don't input it on registrations, don't give it to companies (Even if they claim they don't share it) and only give it to people you know or know of. Only then is there a possibility it might not be spammed.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
bigbb said:
I had no spam on my BW account for years, until one day where I put on a page of somesort, can't remember what now. From that point onwards I gradually received more and more advice on options for my penis enlargment and concuctions of drugs to cure my every problem.

Want an email address left alone? Don't put it anywhere online, don't input it on registrations, don't give it to companies (Even if they claim they don't share it) and only give it to people you know or know of. Only then is there a possibility it might not be spammed.

You can safely use it here. We DO NOT list your email anywhere.

Will

/bin/su
How to not get Spammed

If you include your email address anywhere publically readable, don't forget to include a REMOVE_ME in the middle of it.
Have a spam backup address.
Don't ever send an unsubscribe unless its going to a majordomo or a list you know.
Don't ever read your emails with HTML enabled (little tiny pictures will confirm you've read it).
Don't use hotmail.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will said:
How to not get Spammed

If you include your email address anywhere publically readable, don't forget to include a REMOVE_ME in the middle of it.
Have a spam backup address.
Don't ever send an unsubscribe unless its going to a majordomo or a list you know.
Don't ever read your emails with HTML enabled (little tiny pictures will confirm you've read it).
Don't use hotmail.
Don't send e-mail to anyone on AOL.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Will said:
... with HTML enabled (little tiny pictures will confirm you've read it)...

Outlook 2003 has a lovely feature that deals with this. By default it wont download pictures, or any HTML content. You can set up a whitelist for 'safe' mail, or just click on each to enable pictures when you want them. T'is lovely :)

Will

/bin/su
MYstIC G said:
Don't send e-mail to anyone on AOL.
Good point. Don't send email to anyone who says that a firewall and/or an antivirus makes their PC run slower.

G

Deebs said:
Couple of things:

1) There is a dispute between Game.NET and the current registrant of barrysworld.com. I cannot say anymore.

4) That was actually 4 things not a couple :p

Forgive my cynasism (mavis beacon owns), but i really do think that Dbs and Ted own that domain name. I mean, you dont really start a company with a domain name you dont even own do you. /me smells something fishy, maybe they wanted to keep the domain themselves and registered it in Holland so that no one knew who the owner was. The name servers live in the UK and the owner must allow this, because if he wanted to change it he could. Its just a thought.

G

Sent: 06 01 2004 13:34
To: 'Brook Richard (UK)'
Subject: RE:

Hi Richard,

A domain dispute about barrysworld.com is currently pending. Until the administrative panel has reached a decision I will not discuss the domainname in any way with third parties.

I suspect a decision aroun may/april. I will contact you then if you're interrested.

If I may ask, why are you interrested in the name? Is it personal or business?

--
Regards,
Terrence Koeman

G

Hi Terrence,

I have an email account that won't exist anymore from the 23rd of January. Game.net are closing their multiplayer business and will not be keeping the email element of the old Barrysworld service running. If I can get control over the DNS forwarding to Barrysworld I can forward the mail element to a mailserver and still keep the service running.

You, as the current owner of the domain name have access to the DNS forwarding, would it be possible to update the Mxrecord from the 23rd of January to an IP address I give you. (If I can get a box to host it on)

Richard.

G

Sent: 06 01 2004 14:25

As a dispute is pending the domain is locked, this includes any changes to the DNS records.

You could ask game.net if they can forward the mail to you, but I cannot do anything at this point. Sorry.

--
Regards,
Terrence Koeman

So this basically means we are stuffed, unless we can get who ever owns the ip address 213.221.181.50 (mail.barrysworld.com) to relinquish ownership.

213.221.181.0 - 213.221.181.63 - That ip range is run by Game.Net, possibly these were the old barrysworld ip ranges that might have been bought out by Game.Net when they bought Barrysworld.

So, if 213.221.181.50 is only used for mail.barrysworld.com they may let someone have it, although it will probably cost lots of cash.

So its RIP brooky@barrysworld.com and all the other email accounts on that box.

NICE.

G

More news in on the teleprinter.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 01 2004 14:38

You could ask them to delegate control of the domain to you. This is such a
trivial task that little can go wrong, if at all.

--
Regards,
Terrence Koeman

/me gets emailing Game.Net tekky people.

Kamelion

A observant git - your worst nightmare!
brooky said:
So this basically means we are stuffed, unless we can get who ever owns the ip address 213.221.181.50 (mail.barrysworld.com) to relinquish ownership.

/me polishes BFG

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The bloke stole the domain from its owner. He hacked his way in. Thats the dispute, doesn't everyone know that already?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Shovel said:
Outlook 2003 has a lovely feature that deals with this. By default it wont download pictures, or any HTML content. You can set up a whitelist for 'safe' mail, or just click on each to enable pictures when you want them. T'is lovely :)
So does OWA, which you should hopefully have noticed by now ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
brooky said:
Forgive my cynasism (mavis beacon owns), but i really do think that Dbs and Ted own that domain name. I mean, you dont really start a company with a domain name you dont even own do you. /me smells something fishy, maybe they wanted to keep the domain themselves and registered it in Holland so that no one knew who the owner was. The name servers live in the UK and the owner must allow this, because if he wanted to change it he could. Its just a thought.
Fella, the domain appears to have been poached, which will have entailed someone fraudulently impersonating whoever was previously looking after barrysworld.com (DBs perchance?) and asking another host to take it over. The litigation will take a very long time indeed, the new hosts are in the US which means parties (and thus officials) from England, the US and Holland are involved... It could be much later this year before the whole matter gets ironed out and even then there's no guarantee it will be returned to its rightful owners. Anything you do now could prove to be a very temporary solution...

At any length, it being locked-down like that means the MX record simply can't be repointed, even if it did, GAME.NETs data protection policy (and the DPA itself) probably means they can't let you have it. Think about it, thousands of users have mailboxes on @barrysworld.com addresses. If you set the domain back up then you'd technically be able to harvest all that email, any users who haven't changed things over before the big cutoff will have anything and everything from online shopping to online banking accounts sending stuff to those addresses - do you really want to take on that responsability and liability?

The simplest answer is to set up forwarding on your barrysworld.com mailbox now and get any mail in there into an offline PST, then start registering yourself a domain and look after number one...

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
If you buy a domain do you need a mail server to use an email address on it? Is it just mail forwarding?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
If you get the likes of netidentity to register a domain for you, you'll only get the one address and they manage the domain itself... So all you're paying is about $30 a year for a 25Mb mailbox and the technical problems are someone elses.

The alternative is to stick a server on a fixed IP, register a domain and point the MX record at that IP address. Then all you need is an email server app on said machine and you're good to go, benefits of course are that you control the entire domain and any addresses you wish to create... Drawbacks are that all the technical problems are yours.

There are plenty of intermediary solutions too, with companies willing to register domains and then push all inbound mail for that domain to a single pop box or maybe give you 5 or 10 pop accounts for a basic package, but if you get a hotmail addy for spam then the top option is without a doubt the simplest.

Xav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom