bargain??

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
hi chaps just bought a new pc.

is this a bargain as im not sure also will it play the latest games ok like crysis and cod4

its a athlon dual core4200
500 gig hd
1 gig ram
20 speed dvd wrerite/scribe
new case
and a geforce 8500gt pcie card

got it all for £300 quid brand new.so is it a good buy?>

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
£300? Sounds like a steal to me. Where'd you get it from?

Chilly

Balls of steel
dual core 4200 isnt the beefiest CPU about. It will play them all probably but you wont be playing them with all the shizzles turned up.

Clown

Part of the furniture
bargain.png

You could have done better online I guess. I haven't added a PSU and I couldn't be arsed looking up the best prices but you get the idea.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
so i suppose im getting a bargain if you add the power supply and operating system then.oh and its a 512 meg graphics card./

rynnor

Rockhound
Add in the hassle of building it and a copy of xp and thats a very good deal :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
No it wont play the latest games. Okay it will at 9-13 fps in stutter o vision.

How do I know...cause I have an X2 4200 AMD, 2GB RAM and 2X 7800GTX Ultras in SLi and I cant play the latest games...believe me Ive tried

Im waiting until my bonus comes in to get a box that will for about £700-800

Kryten

Old Cow.
4200 is a bargain basement processor without a doubt, and the 8500 is a non-entity for gaming performance, being blunt. With the bang-for-the-buck offered by the plentiful Intel processor options atm alongside the likes of the 8800GT's and what not, the lower end kit is starting to look a bit dated if anything else.
But for the money, it's not gonna be a bad buy really - Clown has demonstrated you can get better online anyway by shopping around a little, and you can tweak those specs to suit your needs a bit better.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
thanks for the advice lads,but seeing as i used to have a 2 gig athlon with 500 meg of ram and a ati9550 it will be a big improvement i hope

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I also have a 4200 x2 AMP processor, a 393 pin one at that. 2Gb ram and a 7900GTO graphics card. I have no idea how the 7900 compares with the 8500 though.

I'm not sure what resolution and settings SawTooTh is trying to play at but I find that my rig can play a lot of the recent games at perfectly viewable framerates, as long as the detail is turned down. I have a 24" monitor but can't play at the native resolution, but find that 1600x900 upscales extremely well, and HL Episode 2, Portal and TF2 all play nicely. Bioshock and even the Crysis demo are both perfectly playable as well, if you're happy to turn some eye candy off.

The only thing that does concern me about the rig that you've bought is the memory, doubling from 1Gb to 2 made a huge difference to me, and with memory prices as they are at the moment I think that doing the same would be a very sensible option for you.

RB

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
clown whats the website u used for that screenshot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom