Band Wagon - Whats next?

D

darthshearer

After a great result for the lads in Oz, what is the next bandwagon that people are going to jump on? Ahhh Athens is next year aint it?

X

xane

You all know it's going to be Henmania - again - like he has a chance :rolleyes:

J

Jonaldo

European Football Championship 2004 in Portugal and also the Olympics.

B

Brass Monkeys

Originally posted by xane
You all know it's going to be Henmania - again - like he has a chance :rolleyes:

he does well, then fucks up ...

D

DaGaffer

Does anyone really give a toss about the Olympics? It seems to be: Athlete runs around track for a bit, Athlete wins race, Athlete fails random drugs test half an hour later, Athlete claims innocence, cut to Athlete banned after six months of investigation. Woo hoo.

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by DaGaffer
Does anyone really give a toss about the Olympics? It seems to be: Athlete runs around track for a bit, Athlete wins race, Athlete fails random drugs test half an hour later, Athlete claims innocence, cut to Athlete banned after six months of investigation. Woo hoo.

They'll care in athens because nothing will be ready so the runners will be running on a building site. :p

D

Deadmanwalking

Surely this thread should be titled... "Distort brainwashed football wannabe, pissed off at England being good at any sport rather then Footy. Makes shit threads."

Bit long i know but has a certain ring to it.

D

doh_boy

JERRY! JERRY

That sounds so much like the title of a jerry springer program.

springer.jpg

today on jerry springer...

Distort brainwashed football wannabe, pissed off at England being good at any sport rather then Footy. Makes shit threads.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by doh_boy
They'll care in athens because nothing will be ready so the runners will be running on a building site. :p

Might actually make it worth watching; I always did like the obstacle race at school :)

D

doh_boy

Might actually make it worth watching; I always did like the obstacle race at school :)

Aye and it's even better since if one falls he's likely to be impaled on some random scafolding/steel reinforcments/power tool. :)

S

Sir Frizz

I dislike this rough generalisation immensely.

You could make the exact same cynical remark about any sport.

:moon:

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
I dislike this rough generalisation immensely.

You could make the exact same cynical remark about any sport.

:moon:

Well, no, you probably couldn't. Using a celebdaq style 'no of column inches rule' I guarantee that Athletics has more column inches about doping as a percentage of its overall coverage than any other sport.

If I was going to make the same comment about football I would of course substitute doping for drunkeness/rape/random street violence instead. Except for Rio Ferdinand, doping is well down the coverage list.

J

Jonaldo

For someone who is supposed to be representative of GAME.net you really do make some awfully stupid comments. So some people may not like athletics, ok so we won't bother talking about it, oh but some people might not like football, rugby, tennis, basketball, cricket in fact fuck it! let's get rid of the whole sports forum eh?

How many athletes have been caught in doping incidents in the olympics? now compare it to the overall amount of athletes competing and I think you'll find it's a very small amount. Lots of people enjoy watching and taking part in athletics, lots of athletes want to represent their country and a lot more people will support those athletes than make twatty comments about people being drug users. Think, maybe? before you make another post that might be irritating to some and possibly insulting to anyone involved in British athletics or in fact any sport body that knows the levels of doping incidents and the effectiveness of drug testing in sports these days. Please, pretty please.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Jonaldo
For someone who is supposed to be representative of GAME.net you really do make some awfully stupid comments. So some people may not like athletics, ok so we won't bother talking about it, oh but some people might not like football, rugby, tennis, basketball, cricket in fact fuck it! let's get rid of the whole sports forum eh?

How many athletes have been caught in doping incidents in the olympics? now compare it to the overall amount of athletes competing and I think you'll find it's a very small amount. Lots of people enjoy watching and taking part in athletics, lots of athletes want to represent their country and a lot more people will support those athletes than make twatty comments about people being drug users. Think, maybe? before you make another post that might be irritating to some and possibly insulting to anyone involved in British athletics or in fact any sport body that knows the levels of doping incidents and the effectiveness of drug testing in sports these days. Please, pretty please.

I think you'll find it was phrased as a question? To people not interested in Athletics (and I would contend that this is the majority) then almost the only time Athletics reaches mainstream media is when there's a doping scandal. Since this thread was about 'what the next bandwagon' will be, I stand by my original statement; but I'll rephrase it if you like, "Do people care about athletics, and is their perception of it positive, or do they associate it with doping despite the best efforts of the sports bodies?"

As for my 'position as a representative of GAME.NET' - if I make a comment in relation to GAME or the games industry that you have a problem with, fine, or if I break the CoC, fine. If its about something on a completely unrelated topic on a board that we provide free of charge my opinions are just that, my own. And if you don't like it tough, but I'm not going to apologise for having an opinion.

As for 'irritating or possibly insulting' - you've got to be kidding. The internet wouldn't exist!

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by xane
Ferdinand has already been done for drink-driving and speeding, bad behaviour during a summer holiday in Cyprus (involving girls, a video camera, booze and Frank Lampard), and allegations of involvement in an assault, so he's not exactly a saint either.

I meant that doping hasn't been in the news in relation to football much apart from the Rio Ferdinand case. The other things about Rio you mention I think I pretty much covered!

I

Insane

<insert big speil in here>

unless the sport involves possible full-body contact and chances that someones going to come off messed up, im not interested.

olympics is one of these "filler" programs you get to space out the decent stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread