Ban sea fishing?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Erm, are they banning recreational fishing?

Critics say the measures, which will ban fishing in certain coastal areas, will not offer enough protection to endangered marine species

I'm hoping that the government isn't slyly introducing the first piece of legislation to try to get sea anglers to apply for fishing licences with this?

It seems likely though:

The legislation also includes plans to create a footpath that stretches along the two nations' entire coastline.

The above would be A) fucking expensive, and; B) really really environmentally damaging... :(

I fucking hate Labour and genuinely wish painful anal rape and magma-based death on all of them :eek:

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I've never liked them... :)

Don't worry about Labour. They won't be the government for much longer. 7.5 months is the maximum time they have left.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I agree with a fishing ban tbh.

The seas around the UK have been over fished as it is and ts about time some sort of protection of the UK seas and oceans are protected so stocks can replenish...

Its a limited resource as with everything else after all...

You are quite happy that there are no fish left in the seas around the UK??
If so fuck off to a land locked country then!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Do explosives count as fishing, or would that be farming?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I agree with a fishing ban tbh.

The seas around the UK have been over fished as it is and ts about time some sort of protection of the UK seas and oceans are protected so stocks can replenish...

Its a limited resource as with everything else after all...

You are quite happy that there are no fish left in the seas around the UK??
If so fuck off to a land locked country then!

Then ban trawlers, not recreational fishermen (who throw back under sized fish, eat what they catch and catch fuck all fish generally).

Simple as that really.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
not much else left to tax as on so they probably will

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Its not like recreational fisherman are de-stocking the seas is it. Once again, govt picks an easy target to massage figures.....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm still not sure why he told me to "fuck off to a land-locked country". How's that gonna help with the 4 times a year that I go sea fishing?

I live in a land-locked county, does that help? :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Where does it say Recreational Fishing is being banned??
You just made that bit up!

"..establish a series of marine conservation zones around England and Wales..."

That would include fishing boats/trawlers I would have thought.
I'm all for marine conservation....

I'm still not sure why he told me to "fuck off to a land-locked country".

I had had a few drinks...sorry

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
argument aside it would be very costly to police the entire coast of england to check licences, would cost far more than would be actually gained (but thats never stopped labour before has it)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Isn't the problem other countries taking all our fish because they dont have these rules?
I heard something about this a while back but I dont know how true it is.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Isn't the problem other countries taking all our fish because they dont have these rules?
I heard something about this a while back but I dont know how true it is.

Dont forget our jobs and women.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Dont forget our jobs and women.

Haha I'm sitting on the fence on this one. It's something I heard and if its true, its unfair to our fisherman as they cannot 'collect' as much as the people outside of UK.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i just love the facty that most people in here seem to think that Labour are going to get their arses kicked in the next election.

you just have to look at the figures actually required to do that

Let's not forget also that the way in which the voting system currently operates the Conservatives need a lead of about twelve percentage points over Labour for outright victory.
Assuming that the Conservatives can poll 40% (a tall order) then Labour has to be held at 28%.
And, even if that happens those figures only give the Conservatives the narrowest of overall majorities.
It is relatively easy for Labour to lose the next General Election. It will be very hard indeed for the Conservatives to win it.

so, lets see what happens....

oh, back on topic, that Marine Bill looks like a good idea

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The problem, Bahumat, is that, regardless of who's taking them, fish stocks worldwide are plummeting due to over fishing by commercial fishermen. It doesn't matter that the Spanish are all dirty fish robbers. Even if they stopped it'd still be a problem.

And chances are Dark Orb, that it'll be a hung parliament. I also agree with you that a clampdown on commercial fishing is a good idea. However, how can creating a footpath around the entire coast of england and wales be anything other than hugely environmentally damaging?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
However, how can creating a footpath around the entire coast of england and wales be anything other than hugely environmentally damaging?

Not sure if I'm missing something but if they're the kind of paths we have here around south devon, they really aren't going to cause huge problems. The ones here don't strictly follow a set distance, they instead tactically place them to preserve wildlife surrounding them conjoining with existing roads and beaches. For us, I don't think anything would need to be changed; the only downside I can see is maintenance as these paths overgrow very quickly and are regularly cut back thus costing us a fair amount of cash in the long run. Offset by tourism? Maybe but I'm not so sure...

Personally, I'm all for tightening restrictions on mainstream, commercial fishing vessels as they are causing the problem. I'm unsure however as to whether this is aiming to stop Mr. Joe Public from picking up a fishing rod and fishing on the coast? If so then I'd be heavily against the idea...

Lethul

FH is my second home
Trawlers and Europe Union is the biggest idiots ever when it comes to fishing. As a guy who enjoys sport fishing a lot stuff like trawlers angers me a lot. And the rules that EU forces upon them are even more moronic.

For cods for example: They have to be of a certain size, if its under that size they get thrown back. If they are above a certain size, they get paid more. So after they have filled the boat the keep trawling for bigger fish and if they get it they throw in the smaller fish to get more profit. You are also only allowed to bring in the fish that licensed to fish. So if you fish for cod you can only bring cod in to the harbor. So an example that was brought up in a documentary was an Herring fisherman, for every 1000 kg Herring he got he got 1000 kg Cod that he had to throw back all the time.

Just to remind people that aren't that in to the debate that fish that get Trawled to the surface dies. Throwing them back is just dumping dead fish.

And don't get me started on water power plants swarming the Swedish Rivers killing off every fish that have it as their habitat. :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The problem, Bahumat, is that, regardless of who's taking them, fish stocks worldwide are plummeting due to over fishing by commercial fishermen. It doesn't matter that the Spanish are all dirty fish robbers. Even if they stopped it'd still be a problem.

Ah I did not realise our (UK) fisherman were also to blame. I know they probably take a little more than they are supposed to, but I assumed some clever person worked out an amount we can take without causing a major problem hence my comments about the UK people having limits on what they can take.

Thanks for clearing things up. This is something I know very little on :(

Uara

Part of the furniture
The issue back in the day was that Spanish trawlers were changing their boat registrations to British to gain access to our fishing quota's. There was a rather large court case under the name Factortame (incredibly boring to read the case) about whether UK parliament could restrict European Boat crews from doing this but the EU/EC essentially said No, on your bike son. You've got to let them carry on doing this. Just encouraged trawlers to over-fish as they knew they could get away with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom